Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #169

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
The one you see below is number NINE for us. I've built all of them for extreme stuff too and, well, after 14 years in row to the Moab Easter Jeep safari and, 5-6 years of all of Colorados Ouray/Silverton runs, a dozen years of CAs Truckhaven and Anza Boreggo, many of Arizona's trails, and a whole lot more, it's time to just cruise a bit more moderate trails.

I never in my life would have foreseen us paying over $40K for a $%#@Jeep!!

But, it is what it is. If you don't want to pay, DON'T!!!! It's that simple. I'm pretty sure this one is our last one. I mean, what's the next, $80K for a Jeep, I don't think so. So, ours now has 34" A/Ts and a 2" leveling kit from Teraflex. It will get (and you see it in the boxes in one of the pics) a nice front bumper to add to it's looks and, also that will be used for towing by utilizing the front recovery tabs.

I'm about to order up a reinforced spare tire carrier for the larger tire and that will be the end of modifications. I may setup a C/B radio or a HAM one but, that's to be determined. We both don't want to muddle this "Nice" Jeep up with all the cr@p that went into the other 8 Jeeps. It was fun doing all that way back then. Now it's time for more sight seeing. Besides, after laying down on a creeper and getting back up again, for oh, maybe no less than around a few thousand times, while modifying these darn rolling Kleenex boxes, it's time to just DRIVE'M.
Scott

Scott,

With your TF leveling kit did you go with the coil spring version or puck version keeping your OEM springs?
Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #170

I feel the same way about my current Rubicon! Coming from a TJ with several mods to my 2014 JKR, I just want to enjoy it on moderate trails!

I may ......may......also go with a Tera Flex, or similar puck lift to give me a little more room, but keep the nice smooth ride. Right now it is perfect for my needs !
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #171

Jeep prices RIDICULOUS!!!

My stock JK takes me off-road to nifty places. It's nuff!
I applaud those that go to the edges. It's a fine thrill. BTDT!
I now have fun sorting/selecting level 3 paths to meet youse all at the campfire.
Different challenges, eh!
Happy Trails, Bros
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Scott,

With your TF leveling kit did you go with the coil spring version or puck version keeping your OEM springs?
Coral,
Mine was/is the Puck Leveling kit. I don't which you've considered but, the design of the suspension on a modern, 4-door JK, even a Rubicon, is considerably better than any TJ (or anything else before it) ever built. I know, I've had three of the TJ models, BEFORE MODS. So, we, like Steeljag, wanted to keep that smooth running suspension AFTER any lift/mods. And, like stated way earlier in this thread, we've done all the hard stuff, many, many times. So, It's the softer stuff for us now and beyond. So, we both didn't want to change the springs 'cause we figured the factory knew what they were doing when the designed them for that particular vehicle.

So, the Puck system for leveling, just made sense to us. It basically keeps the same exact ride, suspension, feel, shocking, steering and all that. Not to mention, the fact that you gain a good 2" in the front and 1" in the rear, hence, the "LEVELING KIT".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
I feel the same way about my current Rubicon! Coming from a TJ with several mods to my 2014 JKR, I just want to enjoy it on moderate trails!

I may ......may......also go with a Tera Flex, or similar puck lift to give me a little more room, but keep the nice smooth ride. Right now it is perfect for my needs !
Steeljag,
Yip, my (our) feelings exactly. The factory puts on those, in my opinion, dumb-a$$ BFG Mud terrains, 'cause I guess they feel it looks "manly" or something. In all reality, I'd bet about 95% of the Rubis out there, NEVER SEE MUD!!! So, the need for actual mud terrain tires, is just not there. So, with that being said, we were not going to put up with the clumpety-clump tread at slow speeds and, the growling of them at higher speeds, just because they still had over 90% tread left on them.

So, off to Discount tire and, a few zillion dollars later (a tad bit of exaggeration there) I drove away on 315 70 17 All Terrains. Talk about a MAJOR, LIGHT YEAR improvement in ride!! It was like going from riding in an old VW to a new Lincoln Continental. I was apprehensive about going to "D" rated tires instead of "C" rated like I was used to on all our other Jeeps. But, apparently in tires of this size, "D" rated or, 8 ply is the standard. Oh well, I took a chance. I paid out.

The tire/wheel combination we chose, is very close to 18 pounds more, than a stock Rubi 17" with a BFG 255 75 17. The stock 255 sits right close to 32" tall. The 315s I put on are 34.4" tall. Technically NOT a 35" tire. I lost a minor bit of take off power but, nothing too drastic. That 3.6L Pentastar still has plenty of spunk to power that 4500 lb. Jeep from take-off and, down the road just fine.

And, with the Teraflex leveling kit, it gave us the added clearance for full lock to lock turns without rubbing anything and, the ride it better than stock 'cause there's more weight (from the tire/wheel combination) to soak up the road bumps/concrete seems, pot holes and more.

We love it to death.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
My stock JK takes me off-road to nifty places. It's nuff!
I applaud those that go to the edges. It's a fine thrill. BTDT!
I now have fun sorting/selecting level 3 paths to meet youse all at the campfire.
Different challenges, eh!
Happy Trails, Bros
CampDaven,
Running a stock JK is perfectly fine. It can get you a lot of places to see and feel a lot that most people only dream of. Enjoy your toy.
Scott

P.S. Sorry to the OP here. The topic was/is the price of these darn Jeeps, not what we do with them once we have them. But, in defence, we who have had those darn toys/habits/obsessions/money pits/ and whatever else anyone want's to call them, thoroughly enjoy them, no matter what's been done to them and how and where we've used them, over the years. They've taken us to some un-imaginable places and memories that we'll never forget.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #173

Smile From the author..."Wundertaker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Coral,
Mine was/is the Puck Leveling kit. I don't which you've considered but, the design of the suspension on a modern, 4-door JK, even a Rubicon, is considerably better than any TJ (or anything else before it) ever built. I know, I've had three of the TJ models, BEFORE MODS. So, we, like Steeljag, wanted to keep that smooth running suspension AFTER any lift/mods. And, like stated way earlier in this thread, we've done all the hard stuff, many, many times. So, It's the softer stuff for us now and beyond. So, we both didn't want to change the springs 'cause we figured the factory knew what they were doing when the designed them for that particular vehicle.

So, the Puck system for leveling, just made sense to us. It basically keeps the same exact ride, suspension, feel, shocking, steering and all that. Not to mention, the fact that you gain a good 2" in the front and 1" in the rear, hence, the "LEVELING KIT".

Steeljag,
Yip, my (our) feelings exactly. The factory puts on those, in my opinion, dumb-a$$ BFG Mud terrains, 'cause I guess they feel it looks "manly" or something. In all reality, I'd bet about 95% of the Rubis out there, NEVER SEE MUD!!! So, the need for actual mud terrain tires, is just not there. So, with that being said, we were not going to put up with the clumpety-clump tread at slow speeds and, the growling of them at higher speeds, just because they still had over 90% tread left on them.

So, off to Discount tire and, a few zillion dollars later (a tad bit of exaggeration there) I drove away on 315 70 17 All Terrains. Talk about a MAJOR, LIGHT YEAR improvement in ride!! It was like going from riding in an old VW to a new Lincoln Continental. I was apprehensive about going to "D" rated tires instead of "C" rated like I was used to on all our other Jeeps. But, apparently in tires of this size, "D" rated or, 8 ply is the standard. Oh well, I took a chance. I paid out.

The tire/wheel combination we chose, is very close to 18 pounds more, than a stock Rubi 17" with a BFG 255 75 17. The stock 255 sits right close to 32" tall. The 315s I put on are 34.4" tall. Technically NOT a 35" tire. I lost a minor bit of take off power but, nothing too drastic. That 3.6L Pentastar still has plenty of spunk to power that 4500 lb. Jeep from take-off and, down the road just fine.

And, with the Teraflex leveling kit, it gave us the added clearance for full lock to lock turns without rubbing anything and, the ride it better than stock 'cause there's more weight (from the tire/wheel combination) to soak up the road bumps/concrete seems, pot holes and more.

We love it to death.
Scott

CampDaven,
Running a stock JK is perfectly fine. It can get you a lot of places to see and feel a lot that most people only dream of. Enjoy your toy.
Scott

P.S. Sorry to the OP here. The topic was/is the price of these darn Jeeps, not what we do with them once we have them. But, in defence, we who have had those darn toys/habits/obsessions/money pits/ and whatever else anyone want's to call them, thoroughly enjoy them, no matter what's been done to them and how and where we've used them, over the years. They've taken us to some un-imaginable places and memories that we'll never forget.
Scott
I've been following this post from it's inception, and as the author I was not condemning anyone who "chose" to purchase a "Jeep" product or add all their own "bells & whistles" to it to get them to Nirvana. My only point was that "Jeeps are way overpriced" from a retail standpoint when comparing "rationally" WHAT YOU GET FOR YOUR MONEY! And yes, I've had mine also, but stopped dead in my tracks when looking to replace my Jeepster with something Newer!

I've read countless posts from those who've admittedly overpaid for their rides, only to then spend countless $$$THOUSANDS$$$ adding this and that to get it the way they want it to look/perform.

Before anyone jumps off the rollbar I do readily admit that each one of us can spend our hard earned $$$ anyway we want and I'm in no way condemning anyone for doing so.

Let's keep this one going...I've given you my .02 cents worth!!!
Thanksforlistening... Wundertaker
Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #174

Well I'm going to be one of those guys buying one of these expensive Jeeps. The dw and I are still deciding which one we want. 2 door or 4 door, Sport S or Sahara So many choices.

Since this will be my dw's daily driver I'm sure we will order from the factory to make sure we get everything we want.

Jerry
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #175

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Well I'm going to be one of those guys buying one of these expensive Jeeps. The dw and I are still deciding which one we want. 2 door or 4 door, Sport S or Sahara So many choices.

Since this will be my dw's daily driver I'm sure we will order from the factory to make sure we get everything we want.

Jerry
I'm torn on the 4vs2 as well. I don't like the look or ride of the 4, but it makes more sense. I like the Sahara painted fenders because those plastics even stain with dirt and fade bad, but as I look at my Sahara, the paint on the fenders is the only place the paint is fading, so its a toss up I guess.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
I'm torn on the 4vs2 as well. I don't like the look or ride of the 4, but it makes more sense. I like the Sahara painted fenders because those plastics even stain with dirt and fade bad, but as I look at my Sahara, the paint on the fenders is the only place the paint is fading, so its a toss up I guess.
Brian,
Jeep, "Wrangler" that is, up until the JK, didn't make a four door. Yes, they made the "Unlimited" in the TJ model but, it was just a two door. The ride was/is negligibly different. Then, Jeep introduced the four door in '07 and, it's been a hit ever since. Many, many folks that are just couples, purchase a four door for many reasons. As stated many times, we've owned 8 other Jeeps and, all of them were short wheel based CJs, YJs, and TJs.

And, based on the wheel base of any of them, they will handle like a short wheel based vehicle. Most of the time, it's not too bad but, after mods, they CAN, become a handful on freeways or, any higher speed driving.

So, with all that being said, I thought we'd try the four door when it came time to purchase this "supposed" last Jeep in our life. I wanted stability and good street manors before and after any mods. When you pay as much as any of us have for the JK model, especially the higher end Rubicons and Hard Rock editions, you're paying for a very well designed and thought out vehicle. For me to change all that and, quite possibly end up with altered or worse handling effects, was and is, out of the question.

We've only owned this one now for less than a month and yesterday was our first day of running it around with the 2" leveling kit and the 315s on it. I can tell you now, it rides superior to any truck, Jeep, SUV etc. than we've ever had. I had it aligned yesterday although, I'm pretty sure it didn't need it as it drove flawlessly down to the dealer to have it done. But, I wanted assurance that all was well, after any mods and with those new larger tires.

Only tiny adjustments were made according to the tech. Now I've got piece of mind that it's ready for long life service and very, very pleasant driving. I did drive a couple of 2-door model JKs prior to purchase and, while different, not all that much different. But, the available room for groceries, packages, shopping and much more is, as the old cliche states, "Priceless".
Scott

Old 09-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #177

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott,
I know all of your reasons are justified, I just don't like the look or ride if the 4dr, however, the wife leans toward the 4 dr so in the end we know who would probably win.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Scott,
I know all of your reasons are justified, I just don't like the look or ride if the 4dr, however, the wife leans toward the 4 dr so in the end we know who would probably win.
You know Brian,
I too had distaste for the 4-door, for the longest time. Too long, too cumbersome, no need for the extra doors, won't handle very good on a trail, very seldom have passengers, and more. Personally, I never thought I'd own a 4-door. But, like yours, the wife said, "Let's just drive one and see what they're all about". So, after two test drives back to back, a Rubicon and a Sahara, both 4-door models, it was pretty evident that the ride was better, the sound and acoustics were more balanced, especially with enhanced Alpine 9 speaker high output system such as we have in our '15. The added room for all the "junk" that one could pile up in the back was a real change from the very limited space in all previous Jeeps.

She was really enthused about the extra space, both in the back seat area and behind it for if, AND WHEN, the kids come over for a visit etc. So, knowing that we'd not build it to conquer Moab or any other high end Rock and known tough trail, I was not too worried about the longer wheelbase on any trail we'd attempt.

This is a personal thing for sure. I now look at the shorter 2-door as being almost "odd" in this new world of Jeep Wranglers, even though they were around long before any 4-door was born. Good luck on your hunt.
Scott
Old 09-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #179

A number of people like and enjoy the JKU. I was sure I wanted one and bought a new 2010 JKU Rubicon. I traded in a 2008 Acadia and was going to make it my DD, modify it for moderate trails and tow it behind our MH. My wife did not like it from the beginning and would not let me sell our built ZJ. I wasn't impressed with the overall comfort, but modified it anyway. 513 gears, alloy axles, 35" MTR's and a 3 1/2" lift with adjustable arms. It was pretty good off road and rode better on the road after the mods. I was trying to convince myself that I liked it, but one day I realized I couldn't drive more than 50 miles before I wanted to get out. After 18 months, I traded it for an Avalanche and we went back to the ZJ, which was more comfortable, for off road. Now, our stretched LJ is just what we want. There are a few JKU's in our club and they like them. One of them has over $100,000 in his. Has a hemi conversion, 60 & 70 axles on 42" MTR's. He weighs a bunch and we have to winch him on the extreme spots but he likes it.

Like you said, it comes down to personal choice. We all have different wants and needs, which is why there are so many to choose from. Each model is right for someone.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #180

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We parked behind a stock 4dr Saraha today and I got out and commented to my wife, the Sahara is almost bigger than our Expedition. I guess I don't want another Expedition, as we already have that. It hauls groceries, seats 8, and rides like a limousine.

I just want my 2 dr I'm having enough of a hard time seeing how huge they are next to my TJ, and my TJ dwarfs my CJ! I think the only way I would consider a 4 dr is if we sold the Expedition.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #181

Yes personal choice, I use my JKU for work as a lead/flower car for funerals. I can fit over 2x the flowers in the back of my JKU vs a 2dr! Also do not have to fold the seats down doe hauling my soccer, volleyball, motorcross, Mtn biking etc stuff in the back. It also gets a snowplow in the winter thus the added weight helps move that white stuff, been pushing snow with 2dr jeeps since the 80's

I am debating on doing a lift or waiting to see what the JL is like, a diesel wrangler would be nice!
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:43 PM   #182

Well we got the 4 door Sport S today. Most dealerships in my area have very limited Wrangler to see or buy. Yesterday I called every dealership within 50 miles and asked about inventory. Some had nothing on the lot. I found one that had several Sport s and Saharas. I was told by the salesman they just got in a big shipment.

After talking with Scott a few weeks ago I was planning on getting the Sahara. Wife has flipped flopped on the 2 or 4 door and settled on the 4 door. Only way her parents could get in the Jeep would be with the 4 door. I like the extra room also.

After comparing the S and Sahara side by side the only three advantages were 18" vs 17" tires, leather seats and navigation.

Wife doesn't like leather, to hot during the summer. 18 vs 17 tires for us it doesn't matter. Nav I like a lot but it just wasn't worth it.

I figured I would have to order the Jeep to get it the way we wanted. While talking to the salesman I noticed an S on the display rack in the front parking lot. Well it turns out it is the exact set up we wanted. It had everything except the step rail which my 5'2" wife demanded to have.

We talked a little about price and I left. Called the wife who was running a round and she said we should get it. So I made the call and we came to agreement on the price with them adding the step rail. Drove back down and picked it up. Wife is happy she got her new Jeep.

Was surprised to learn that all service, oil changes, tire rotation and any recommended service for the first two years was free. I've been to a couple dealerships and no one has told me that before. At first I thought the salesman was going to try and sell me a service contract. When he said its included by Jeep that was a bonus.

I drove it home and really like the drive. I need to figure out a way to steal this from her.

I took a couple pic at the dealership. Ill post it soon. They are on my phone.

Jerry
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote