RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:02 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jeep question

Looking at late model Jeep Cherokee, am I correct on thinking as long as the transfer case switch has the little neutral button it has the correct set up for towing wheels down? Active drive 2
Thank you.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #2

We just purchased a Cherokee Trail Hawk. I just got the Baseplates yesterday so haven’t towed it yet so can’t provide input on that but, yes the vehicle must have an Active Drive II transmission to flat tow. Don’t believe the active drive I has the Neutral button or not. I would get the VIN and look up what the manufacturer build list says it has.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk and the little neutral button is only present on the Active Drive II.
gmalmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyb View Post
Looking at late model Jeep Cherokee, am I correct on thinking as long as the transfer case switch has the little neutral button it has the correct set up for towing wheels down? Active drive 2
Thank you.
Well,
We've owned, modified and towed, 9 different Jeep Wranglers over about a 35 year period and to date, ZERO problems with any of them. But, I've not dealt with any Cherokees other than our sons and his is flat towable 'cause it's an older one with manual transfer case shifting. As for your intended one, the VERY FIRST thing I'd do is, if you don't have access to the paper copy, go on line and find the owners manual for THAT SPECIFIC MODEL CHEROKEE and look to see what it says about flat towing or, TOWING BEHIND AN RV.

There and only there, you will be assured of what you can, or cannot do, with that model.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, the little button is only on the Active II. We have now towed our Cherokee several thousand miles with no issues.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyb View Post
Thank you.
Greetings, We have a 2019 Cherokee Trail Hawk Elite and it can be towed all four down.
Copied from Manual
Recreational Towing ó 4x4 Models With 2-Speed Power Transfer Unit
The power transfer unit must be shifted into NEUTRAL
(N) and the transmission must be in PARK for recreational
towing. The NEUTRAL (N) selection button is adjacent to
the 4WD selector switch. Shifts into and out of NEUTRAL
(N) can take place with the selector switch in any mode
position.
master2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To the OP, others have covered the AD II requirement which is indicated by the button to put the transfer case in neutral.

Since you said "late model Cherokee" that to me could mean something other than a 2019. Any Cherokee in the year range 2014 to 2018 requires a flat tow harness to keep the power steering active while towing. The flat tow harness is not required on a 2019 Cherokee.

This is not something that was not factory installed, so if you purchase a Cherokee in that year range you will have to have it installed, unless of course the PO was an RVer that already installed it.

Without it the Cherokee can go into a pretty violent tow wobble condition as show in the following video. It can happen at any speed and the only way to stop it is to come to a complete stop.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #8

Has anyone weighed a 2019 Cherokee? Considering the new Cherokee but would like to know the actual weight.
Bud1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud1129 View Post
Has anyone weighed a 2019 Cherokee? Considering the new Cherokee but would like to know the actual weight.
Curb Weight 4,028
master2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #10

Towing Jeep Trialhawk 2019

I just bought a new 2019 Jeep Trial Hawk 4X4 with 2 speed power transfer unit.
It has the neutral button on the console next to the selector knob. These Jeeps can be flat towed, but NEVER dolly towed. They also cannot be backed up for any reason while in tow mode.
It is my understanding that the models made in early 2019 (and prior years) may require a mopar wiring harness that has a toggle switch installed in the center console compartment. This is supposed to allow electricity to the all electric power steering unit, thus eliminating the "death wobble".
I recently got a service update on this issue and have a copy of the document.
Which states the following:

Discussion: A recent update to tsb 08-040-18 rev B removed the 2019 model KL from the list of applicable vehicles for the MoPar Accessory Flat Tow Performance Kit. 19 KL, in OEM equipment form, has improvements that does not require the MoPar Accessory Flat Tow Performance Kit to help stabilize the vehicle.

NOTE 19KL can be flat towed as long as it has the 4X4 (sales code 514) and Jeep Active Drive II (sales code DK4) without the MoPar Accessory harness being needed.

Bottom line, check with your dealer and ask him to verify from the vin# that your Jeep does not need this wiring harness.
GeorgeDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #11

I recently bought a 2019 Jeep Trailhawk 4X4 that is a tow able vehicle. I am considering purchasing the Blue Ox patriot 2 or Patriot 3 braking system. Has anyone had experience with the later versions of this product. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
GeorgeDH is offline   Reply With Quote