Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #29

The tow bar mounts under the front bumper on rectangular drops coming off the main frame,they can be seen looking in from either wheel well.If you have a tow pacage,just get under and see the mounts, they are partly covered by the plastic air?shield under the bumper
Terryndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #30

I think I'm starting to see it. I'm going to have to crawl under the Jeep and study it a while. I use the Currie tow plate that basically replaces the plastic air dam that comes from the factory.

I was looking around the frame rail (where the tow hooks mount) which is why I couldn't see it before.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #31

I dont think Chrysler would at all approve of the attachments that get used, but especially at the Falcon attachment methodology. Looking at the falcon installation manual, to my eye, its not a good way to attach a tow bar at all.

The tow bar doesn't actually attach to the frame rails, it attaches to support structure that is welded to the frame rails. My guess is that they are there to provide rigidity and and help provide strength to the bumper area, etc.

Basically all of the force applied by the motorhome to the Jeep is applied at a center line that is below the frame, and these down posts have to deal with the resulting torque when transmitting those forces to the frame. The welds likely couldn't take the abuse.

For my money this is a dubious setup. The Blue-Ox base plate is very different. While it does have bolt that runs through this upright, it has two substantial bolts that run directly through the frame rails themselves, at the top of the base plate arms.
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #32

Terryndi. First thank you for posting. Many of us tow Jeeps and I would guess that many also use Roadmaster towing products. A couple of questions Please.
Is this a standard stock front bumper jeep.

Is the first photo of the assembly, including tow base plate, that tore away from your jeep.

And lastly, Are the 2nd and 3rd photos sideways.

Just trying to get the most accurate picture of what happened to you. I want to know where I need to be looking on my own jeep.

Glad that nobody was hurt. Sorry about your jeep.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #33

I had to print out the pix and take them under the Jeep. I finally figured it out.

Like pilotspike, I'm a little concerned about base plates that are mounted in that way. As someone else said, a replacement bumper is probably the strongest way to tow a Jeep.

I have the Currie tow plate but if I had it to do over I'd spend a few more bucks and get a bumper. I still may do that. Using the bumper also raises the connection point a little higher off the ground necessitating a shorter drop hitch to keep the tow bar level.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:25 PM   #34
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryndi View Post
Attachment 186075Attachment 186076these are the best pics I have of the parts that failed,as you can see the welds were broken partly for some time as there is rust on the weld.never expected a problem there.The roadmaster kit does not have those aux. connections to go on the frame, and the brake away was on the tow bar frame and did not operate.The one is o. The bumper
Have you shared this issue with Roadmaster?
Old 12-19-2017, 12:04 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume you were moving when it happened.

Did you have a braking system in the Jeep and did the braking system activate and lock up all the wheels on the Jeep?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:22 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
I just removed my Blue Ox base plate that has been on my 2009 Wrangler Unlimited since 2009. The base plate and frame were in great condition. The reason I took the base plate off is because I purchased a Rockhard aluminum front bumper with the adapters for my Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, very easy to hook up and no removing and replacing the base plate pins.

Glad no one was hurt.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:48 AM   #37

Thanks for the heads up, will add checking the “entire” towing system to the pre-trip list.
fexmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #38

This really seems like something both Roastmaster and Jeep should be aware of and looking at.and your insurance should be leaning on them for answers.

I tow my 2012 JKUR with a blue ox and connect it straight to an aftermarket bumper. However I am still always checking joints and frame areas often before and after travel, and after I get off the trails with it.
HSR-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #39

Just an update on this adventure,I contacted Roadmaster, and have heard back from them 3 times in 2 days,and they are truly interested in getting to the bottom of this problem, they have been great to work with.
Now trying to get somewhere with jeep
Terryndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #40
dp7

Quote:
Just an update on this adventure,I contacted Roadmaster, and have heard back from them 3 times in 2 days,and they are truly interested in getting to the bottom of this problem, they have been great to work with.
Thanks for the update. Was the Roadmaster baseplate number 521448-5? I believe that this is a fairly new design. Please keep updating the thread as this issue progresses. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #41

Quote:
I doubt you'll get much out of Jeep. The part that failed did not fail because it could not do its intended job. It was designed to hold some pretty light stuff and not designed or certified as a vehicle towing point.

Thanks for keeping us updated. There's a lot of Jeep folks out there wanting to know what you find out.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I doubt you'll get much out of Jeep. The part that failed did not fail because it could not do its intended job. It was designed to hold some pretty light stuff and not designed or certified as a vehicle towing point.

Thanks for keeping us updated. There's a lot of Jeep folks out there wanting to know what you find out.
I think you are exactly right. This appears to be more of a Roadmaster design issue to me as well. Still need to know what happened and why. Thanks to the OP for the updates.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad