Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to DebiM
Jeep Towing

Hi Lt. Dan or David,

I am including pics of the Jeep we have with the winch. Let me know your thoughts on towing with our Class A. Pictures are below.

Thank you, Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3B20D1CD-997B-432F-BB92-646DC5A1D23F.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	772.2 KB
ID:	376107   Click image for larger version

Name:	535FF3FF-4A71-4D12-8628-CC501037CAFE.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	376108  

Name:	37E47A8B-67FD-4D25-9C84-8AE7961DFF6E.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	376109   Click image for larger version

Name:	8AA26AC8-B48C-457F-BC35-F9B938A4385F.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	376110  

DebiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2022, 10:54 AM   #2

I tow my Wrangler with a Smitybilt XRC bumper similar to that. Works fantastic.

If your Class A is gasoline powered then look at the Ready Brute Elite style towbar. Towbar and braking system all built into one unit.

If your Class A has airbrakes there are other options that may be better than the RBE but they are way way more expensive.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 11:57 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Since your xrc recovery tabs don't have a 1" round hole to install a pin bushing I'm thinking you need to fabricate an insert and weld it in place. Perhaps xrc makes one? While your at it weld a bracket to the backside of each recovery tab that bolts to the frame. I did that with our winch bumper (barricade brand) Towing off the bumper recovery tabs is a breeze. Like anything, frequent inspections are still mandatory.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Since your xrc recovery tabs don't have a 1" round hole to install a pin bushing I'm thinking you need to fabricate an insert and weld it in place. Perhaps xrc makes one? While your at it weld a bracket to the backside of each recovery tab that bolts to the frame. I did that with our winch bumper (barricade brand) Towing off the bumper recovery tabs is a breeze. Like anything, frequent inspections are still mandatory.
The XRC bumper on Debs Wrangler has the Shackle holes. You can clearly see them in the bottom picture. That bumper is rated for 12,000lbs and the D Ring mounts are welded on the inside and outside. This bumper is fine for connecting directly to a towbar.

I have the older version of the XRC bumper. D Rings welded on the inside and outside. Back then Smittybilt specifically stated that their bumpers were designed to have a towbar connected directly to them. These new bumpers are better designed and better built than the old ones like I have.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:37 AM   #5

I, personally, would not trust a bumper for towing unless the manufacturer of said bumper has rated it for tow-bar service. I don’t give a care how beefy it looks, I have seen a number of cases where unscrupulous manufacturers will “doll-up” the welds to make them look good. Even as stout as my front bumper is, I still went with a purpose built base-plate…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB62DBA6-ED29-416A-8298-101AE09A6A1E.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	376209  
Old 09-12-2022, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
I, personally, would not trust a bumper for towing unless the manufacturer of said bumper has rated it for tow-bar service. I don’t give a care how beefy it looks, I have seen a number of cases where unscrupulous manufacturers will “doll-up” the welds to make them look good. Even as stout as my front bumper is, I still went with a purpose built base-plate…
The Smittybilt XRC bumpers are rated for towing. Says so right on their website.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:44 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
The XRC bumper on Debs Wrangler has the Shackle holes. You can clearly see them in the bottom picture. That bumper is rated for 12,000lbs and the D Ring mounts are welded on the inside and outside. This bumper is fine for connecting directly to a towbar.

I have the older version of the XRC bumper. D Rings welded on the inside and outside. Back then Smittybilt specifically stated that their bumpers were designed to have a towbar connected directly to them. These new bumpers are better designed and better built than the old ones like I have.
Not clearly visible on my phone, but yeah...If they are there use them. On our bumper recovery shackle holes they were actually slightly oversize, so to utilize the steel pin bushings Smittybilt provided with their tow bar I installed oil lite bushings to the bumper shackle holes and honed them to match the pin bushing O.D.
10k towing miles later and no issues whatsoever.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:57 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know about other brands but the RockHard bumpers towing tabs are NOT welded to the bumper. They bolt thru the bumper and are bolted to brackets that are attached directly to the ends of the Jeeps frame rails. I have the Roadmaster tow points now but I could unbolt them and install other tow bar towing tabs.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
The Smittybilt XRC bumpers are rated for towing. Says so right on their website.
Not sure what your point is here. I never said that bumper wasn’t rated for towing.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what your point is here. I never said that bumper wasn’t rated for towing.

My point was the OP's bumper is rated for towing and it says so right on the manufacturers website.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:37 AM   #11

Quote:
My point was the OP's bumper is rated for towing and it says so right on the manufacturers website.
And that’s just dandy…. My point was/is that I would not trust a bumper for towing “unless” it was rated for such service by the manufacturer of said bumper…
We’re both in agreement, we just came at it from different directions.

I’ve had People ask why I don’t tow with the bumper on my Jeep since it certainly looks strong enough (bumper weighs 125#). Simple answer, it wasn’t rated for towing. So I mounted a baseplate behind it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F873E242-8661-455C-A9EE-05116DF63D66.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	376437  

Tags
jeep, tow, towing