Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 10:22 AM   #1

Jeep towing.....new to me

Hello all ,
Purchased a 2008 Jeep 4DR Sahara 4WD with the six speed manual transmission. With help from a good friend I have installed the Blue Ox baseplate , it is all wired up and working great with the Blue Ox wiring kit and I have a Blue Ox tow bar. Should be all set........my questions ,( i put the T-case in neutral ) 1- what gear to put the tranny in. Some have told me first gear and one experienced Jeep owner said put her in third and i will be fine. Jeep will be on its maiden voyage next week so i would like to make sure i get it right to avoid damages.
2- It has lock steering, so with the ignition turned one click , i have heard about pulling a fuse to avoid dead battery instead of running a 12V line from MH.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thank-you.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
With the transfer case shifted into neutral, it really doesn't matter what gear you leave the transmission in because the transfer case in neutral disconnects both drive shafts from the transmission, so no movement will happen. I wouldn't leave the transmission in neutral just so the gears won't rotate from fluid movement in the transfer case, but it's not a real issue.

What kind of auxiliary braking are you using? If it runs from the battery, a charge wire might keep the battery up on long days of travel.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Transfer case to neutral.
Manual transmission in any forward gear, auto transmission in park.
If steering wheel lock equipped, turn key one click to unlock.
Parking brake off.
No need to disconnect battery.

Good idea to ensure the transfer case is in neutral by putting transmission in a gear a lightly blipping the throttle. You should not move of course, if moving the transfer case is not in neutral.

Setup your toad's auxiliary brake system per its manufacturers instructions.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Transfer case to neutral.
Manual transmission in any forward gear, auto transmission in park.
If steering wheel lock equipped, turn key one click to unlock.
Parking brake off.
No need to disconnect battery.

Good idea to ensure the transfer case is in neutral by putting transmission in a gear a lightly blipping the throttle. You should not move of course, if moving the transfer case is not in neutral.

Setup your toad's auxiliary brake system per its manufacturers instructions.
Hey Vince,
Per the 2008 Jeep Wrangler Owners Manual,

Page: 360
Step #12 of 12 steps of prep for RV towing:

"Disconnect the negative battery cable, and secure it away from the negative battery post".
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #5

I have a 2012 JK and I don't disconnect the battery. I installed a Toad Charger system when it is hooked to the MH the batteries from the MH keep the JK battery charged while using the Blue Ox Patriot breaking system.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quite honestly, Toad Chargers are an expensive item that does very little. In your RV you already have a couple of batteries connected together. They get charged without needing a 'charger' between them. If you add a charge line to your umbilical cord between vehicles, you have tied the batteries together. You won't overcharge the toad battery and it needs no other regulation than what's provided by the RV voltage regulator and battery internal resistance.

I do add auto reset circuit breakers, 10-20 amp maximum at the charge wire as it leaves the RV battery and the Toad battery. This CB will trip under heavy current draw, as might happen while starting the engine. (if you're connected to the chassis battery)

The CB then reconnect when the engine is started. The voltage regulator will allow a charging current from the alternator as long as the batteries connected to it demand current. When the batteries are charged, their internal resistance show the voltage regulator to 'back off.'

The only thing a Toad Charger provides is pretty LED lights signaling connection. Only thing is, you've got to have the Toad's hood open to see them.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeep towing.....new to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Vince,

Per the 2008 Jeep Wrangler Owners Manual,

Page: 360

Step #12 of 12 steps of prep for RV towing:

"Disconnect the negative battery cable, and secure it away from the negative battery post".

Scott

Hi Scott - in practice I don't think you will find many folks that are disconnecting battery, using a charge wire, etc. unless they may have a aux brake or other that drives the need. I could be wrong / YMMV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #8

Jeep towing

Thank you everyone for the help. It is appreciated.
I spoke with another Jeep owner and his advice was the same. One interesting thing i was told was about the IOD " Ignition Off Draw" fuse. It is J13 in fuse box , a 60 amp yellow fuse. Supposedly if you pull this fuse you will not experience battery drain with the ignition turned on to the first click.......[for Jeeps with lock steering ]
Do any of you Jeep owners do this ?
Old 08-01-2016, 06:46 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Pulling that fuse is fine, but clock and radio presets will be lost. Also, if your auxiliary brake is battery operated, you'll have to wire a separate power plug to the battery so you can operate it.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-02-2016, 01:50 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Word of advice, read the Owners Manual:

Look it up online if you don't have it.

Here is what's written in it:

1. Depress brake pedal.
2. Shift automatic transmission into NEUTRAL or depress
clutch pedal on manual transmission.
3. Shift transfer case lever into N (Neutral).
4. Start engine.
5. Shift automatic transmission into DRIVE or manual
transmission into gear.
6. Release brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle
movement.
7. Shut the engine off and place the ignition key into the
ACC position.
8. Shift automatic transmission into PARK.
9. Apply parking brake.
10. Attach vehicle to the tow vehicle with tow bar.
11. Release parking brake.
12. Disconnect the negative battery cable, and secure it
away from the negative battery post.
Good Luck

Old 08-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #11

I tow a 2009 Wrangler and have never disconnected the battery. Over 5k miles with no problems. I start the engine and run for 5 or 10 mins each night. After you tow all day and then start the engine you will probably smell burning rubber. That's normal as road grime builds up on the exhaust system and engine then burns off when it gets hot. Smell goes away after you drive for a while. Have fun. Jeeps are the BEST!
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #12

Towing jeep

Just out of interest Crabb E does your 2009 Jeep have lock steering ?
Do you have your ignition on the "First click" and still do not have battery drain issues. Or did the 2009's come without lock steering like the other newer models eliminating turning the key on.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #13

Rider Fan
My 09 Wrangler doesn't have a steering lock so you don't have to leave the key in the ignition, no battery drain except for the brake buddy which is very little. Think you could tow for a week and never start the Jeep and still have a good charge on the battery. To check if you do or don't have a steering lock you can jack up the front end and see if you can turn the wheels with the key out. I thought from 2008 on there was no steering lock--best to check it yourself.
Wranglers make great toads because they are so easy to set up and a blast when you get where you'r going.
Have fun.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #14

The 08 for some incredibly stupid reason needs the battery disconnected or a fuse yanked, otherwise miles will accumulate when driving or the steering will lock.

Before and after that year you can turn the key to a position where the gauges do not work and steering lock is also bypassed. On the 08's there isn't a position for the key that keeps the odometer off and also bypasses the steering lock. Back in 09 I found this out the hard way, dealership that I purchased my RV as blue Ox setup from installed the system the same way they did on every other jeep. One turn later and my RV was driving crooked due to steering lock on the jeep.

I installed a lever at the battery to easily disconnect the battery
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing