Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #1

Jeep towing question

I heard that it is best to have the tow bar even with the ball or below. What if my Jeep has a 2.5" lift? Will I still be able to tow it? Thanks in advance from a newbie.
ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Each tow bar maker has limits above and below level for their tow bar. You will have to measure as each rig can have a different hitch height. I have to use a 4 inch riser for my stock 09 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sure you already know this, but a drop hitch mounted upside down works as a lift hitch. I have a 6" drop hitch on my rig.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #4

Yep....I am going to pick up the RV this weekend and was going to tow my Jeep back. Not sure what the guy has as far as ball and receiver. I may just take my motorcycle and throw it in the back. Its a Class C Fun Mover.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I towed a Jeep for a while with a 2.5 lift kit. No problems but had to use a drop hitch on it. You'll just have to measure to make sure you stay within the spec's (above or below) the allowable amount recommended by the hitch manufacter.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekms377 View Post
I heard that it is best to have the tow bar even with the ball or below. What if my Jeep has a 2.5" lift? Will I still be able to tow it? Thanks in advance from a newbie.
Your statement is correct.

My Jeep was already lifted 4" when I purchased it. Over the years I have graduated to larger tires (35") and even more lift (now at 8"). Every time the height changed it needed a different ball mount. It started with a 4" drop, then a 2" drop, till now I am at a 2" rise. Note that this is on a Gas Class A that already has a pretty high tail. I should measure it, but my tow bar is at approx the 26-30" height. The tow bar mounts in the middle of the bumper so it is higher than the typical under bumper mounts of commercial tow bars.

As far as the affect of a lift on towing. None, if the lift is properly installed and the wheels are aligned.

Don't know what I would do if I had a diesel pusher? Do they make a 20" rise ball mount?
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
I have not seen a spec but I would worry about to much rise or drop causing excessive leverage on the receiver mounting brackets. I had to modify my class C receiver because of this, almost lost it.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
My Cherokee is at 4.5" and the bar is dead level when hooked to the Alpine, (coach mounted tow bar)the TJ is at 4" on 35" Krawlers and needs a 6" rise due to different placement of the attachment points. I did beef up the hitch on the Alpine to make up for the rise, more than a couple of inches increases the stress and de-rates the hitch.

Also my Roadmaster MH mounted bar allows for some misalignment according to the directions, a ball mount bar which I had before required level alignment.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #9

I have seen towbars range from $100 to $2000. Which one???
Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I started out with an el-cheapo fixed arm bar that I got from Amazon for ~$80 at most, it was a ball mount type that mounted on the vehicle and was a pain to get lined up.

I got a Roadmaster Falcon 2 with the motor home, it stays on the MH and with the extend-able arms it hooks up with ease, just pull up close and attach it to the Jeep with 2 pins, when you pull away the arms lock in place, it's also much beefier.

A tow bar is one place I wouldn't scrimp, another is the braking system. Both are critical to the safety of others as well as potential damage to your rigs.

Quite honestly if you can I'd go with your idea of taking the motorcycle and take your time to research which bar/braking system meets your needs. Buying twice just adds $$$ and frustration.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
I started out with an el-cheapo fixed arm bar that I got from Amazon for ~$80 at most, it was a ball mount type that mounted on the vehicle and was a pain to get lined up.

I got a Roadmaster Falcon 2 with the motor home, it stays on the MH and with the extend-able arms it hooks up with ease, just pull up close and attach it to the Jeep with 2 pins, when you pull away the arms lock in place, it's also much beefier.

A tow bar is one place I wouldn't scrimp, another is the braking system. Both are critical to the safety of others as well as potential damage to your rigs.

Quite honestly if you can I'd go with your idea of taking the motorcycle and take your time to research which bar/braking system meets your needs. Buying twice just adds $$$ and frustration.
Will do....thx for the info!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #12

OK...so I did ride my motorcycle and drove back. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Nice rig! You'll have a blast with it.
Dave
Old 01-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Physics 0.05

If the tow bar is "level" (Both ends) then when you stand on the brakes cause some idiot in a 2,000 pound mini-road bump cut off your 26,000 pound rolling tank the bar presses foreward and that's all.

If the towed end is lower, Then when you stand on the brakes, The jeep will tend to lift the rear of your coach, This can cause a jacknife if the rear wheels break free due to lower downward pressure.

if the ball is lower then the jeep Then the jeep climbs right up against the back of the Motor home, and causes major damage.

And yes, There is a post somewhere about someone doing it that way.

Now: Can you stil tow.

YES. they make special hitch adapters that can add (or subtract) height from the ball.

Tags
towing