Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #113

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoyles View Post
In the end Jeep did cover the cost of modifying my 2016 Trailhawk. Have to thank another Miamian who blazed the trail for me and I believe made it easier. All the same I towed it to Alabama and back without the fix and had no issues even on bad roads. Still feel comfortable having the "fix". Fight for your modification.
I had towed mine on several trips, probably 4 K miles.
Then on a Freeway transition (which I had used 2 times before) I got the wobble. The transistion was very bumpy...maybe worse than 6 mo earlier.

Scared the heck out of me.

Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #114

Winnebago Owners Club
It's weird when it can happen. Sometimes it's just the timing of the bumps that can set up the wobble; bumps aren't necessarily the biggest; just timed "right" to start the oscillation.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #115

So I am new to the class a world and have yet to buy the equipment to flat tow my brand new Jeep Cherokee Latitude with the active drive train 2. Do I need this harness you are speaking of?

Also wouldn't mind feedback of the best tow set up for the money for my latitude. Wife wants hidden base plate connections.
hogcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #116

Jeep seems to have slipped in recent years. According to JD Power anyway.

2017 Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) by Make | J.D. Power
Old 03-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #117

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcard View Post
So I am new to the class a world and have yet to buy the equipment to flat tow my brand new Jeep Cherokee Latitude with the active drive train 2. Do I need this harness you are speaking of?

Also wouldn't mind feedback of the best tow set up for the money for my latitude. Wife wants hidden base plate connections.

I use the BlueOx base plate and tow bar, the mounts aren't totally hidden as the safety cable mount points stick out a little but pretty clean overall. On braking everybody has their favorite, I use a BrakeBuddy Classic, easy to use and Hopkins Mfg the maker has the best support I have ever experienced.

Ref the flat tow wire harness I had the problem with wobble so did get it installed, not everybody has had it happen but I would suggest getting it. For sure use a Quiet hitch clamp to take the play out of the hitch / tow bar connection
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #118

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcard View Post

There's no "best" setup, a lot depends on ease of use and installation procedure, the latter especially so if you intend to do all the installations yourself. Three manufacturers make towbars and baseplates: Blue Ox, Roadmaster and Demco. Each make a number models of towbars and baseplates (the brackets which are installed on the Jeep to connect the towbar). You will also need a way to energize your taillights, stoplights and turn signals, or install separate ones. Finally you'll need an auxillary braking system ... in most states and Canada anyway. This equipment is usually available from those who sell the above mentioned towbars.

Also, for the Jeep Cherokee models, which have a "wobble" tendency, there's a fourth issue. You will also need the flat-tow harness from Jeep. Many have received this and had it installed for no charge; that depends on the year of the Cherokee and sometimes the dealer.

Since you are new to Class A motorhomes, I suggest you spend some time reading posts on this forum (http://www.irv2.com) and also check out Family Motorcoach Association (www.FMCA.com) and also Motorhome Magazine (www.motorhome.com) for additional information. I suggest you read as much as you can online and ask questions on the various forums.

Best of luck and safe travels.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #119

I called my dealer. McClarty Daniels in Bentonville Arkansas and they are not willing to help. For those of you that called Jeep directly, is there something you need to reference or someone to talk to in order to get them to cover it?
hogcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #120

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Earlier it has been noted that Kori at Jeep cares can assist. I got Jeep to share the cost 50/50, I asked about Kori but never got to her. originally was denied but I came back and asked for it to be considered again as their own document said it would be handled per warranty and I pressed on that. Dealer charged $360 total so ended up paying half of that.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #121

If the Cherokee is a 2017 I'd say forget it. Jeep material was updated to full disclosure and as a result I don't think they have any intention of paying for or sharing the cost.

In our case there was no disclosure (it appears they didn't even know that they had a problem) and ours was covered 100%.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #122

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Jeep seems to have slipped in recent years. According to JD Power anyway.

2017 Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) by Make | J.D. Power
slipped a bit? Ya kind like a Truck Stop Hooker getting traded around.

The features that gave Jeeps of yesteryear the reputation of reliability and simplicity are just a memory today.

There are still plenty of used good Jeeps out there. you are NOT likely to see one on a Jeep dealers lot because of the public perception that anything over
8 years old is wore out and not worth owning.

Daimler-Benz and Fiat were not beneficial to the Chrysler/AMC/Jeep brands.

They took far more than they stole.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #123

Do I Need a Flat Tow Wiring Kit for 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk?

I am new to this forum and trying to sort out this issue of the Mopar Flat tow wiring kit for a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. I spoke to 2 different dealers about this Cherokee Wobble problem and they checked into it. They both indicated that I do not need the kit since my vehicle was built after Feb 16, 2016 as per Service Bulletin TSB 08-22-016. However, they will not put anything in writing.

The 2016 owners manual makes no mention of requiring the Mopar flat tow wiring kit but a 2017 manual does warn that the kit is required for flat towing.

Does anyone know if Chrysler did make some changes to eliminate the problem? Has anyone with a Jeep Cherokee built after Feb 16, 2016 encountered the wobble problems?

I really need to get to the bottom of this since I will be towing this vehicle about about 7,000 miles this summer staring in June, 2017. I am located in Alberta, Canada and I assume the same problems encountered with USA vehicles apply to those manufactured for the Canadian market.
Pelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #124

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelden View Post
I am new to this forum and trying to sort out this issue of the Mopar Flat tow wiring kit for a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. I spoke to 2 different dealers about this Cherokee Wobble problem and they checked into it. They both indicated that I do not need the kit since my vehicle was built after Feb 16, 2016 as per Service Bulletin TSB 08-22-016. However, they will not put anything in writing.

The 2016 owners manual makes no mention of requiring the Mopar flat tow wiring kit but a 2017 manual does warn that the kit is required for flat towing.

Does anyone know if Chrysler did make some changes to eliminate the problem? Has anyone with a Jeep Cherokee built after Feb 16, 2016 encountered the wobble problems?

I really need to get to the bottom of this since I will be towing this vehicle about about 7,000 miles this summer staring in June, 2017. I am located in Alberta, Canada and I assume the same problems encountered with USA vehicles apply to those manufactured for the Canadian market.
Yes, you definitely need it. FCA still has not made any changes to the electronic power steering, so even the newest Cherokees need it.

If you go to your Mopar account online and download the latest version of the user guide for your vehicle, you should see the following caution in the Recreational Towing section:

Failure to use the proper Mopar wiring kit to power the steering system during recreational towing may damage the vehicle’s steering system and/or other vehicle components.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:09 PM   #125

No difference between vehicles for the US and Cda markets. Our kit was installed at our dealer in Windsor no charge. We then learned from other owners who had the kit installed that their battery would be flat within 3 or 4 hours. So we had to run a power supply from the motorhome. That was not to difficult after we decided on the approach. Simply ran a line from the power connector on the MH to the Jeep and connected it to the RVBrake Toad Charge. Worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelden View Post

Old 04-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #126

Jeep wants you to pay for a flat tow harness to fix the wobble

My guess is that you need it. I have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee limited and the manual stated that I needed it.

The problem is that there is no power steering to the steering wheel with the car in off mode (which is the mode it's supposed to be in while towing). When you add the harness and the toggle switch is on you can actually tell the difference in the steering wheel. It feels like a steering wheel would feel with power steering. My guess is that if your steering wheel is stiff and difficult to turn in the off position it needs the harness.

Also, you mention that the 2016 manual has no mention but the 2017 does. That's exactly right. Jeep's only fix was to protect themselves by updating their manual. For that reason they fixed the 16s free of charge. Fixing the 17s is a different story. Depends who you talk to and how hard you press it. Technically they're not obligated anymore.

FYI, all the dealers I spoke with had no clue what I was talking about. The one I actually bought it from had no clue what it was for but luckily they had it so I bought it.

What does your manual say?

Tags
tow