Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2016, 05:33 AM   #43

I think the Rubicon is the correct anwser for me. I want to do some off roading, but do not need another project to take a jeep and add lockers and such. Seems to be alot of late model used ones with low mileage around....... problem is I want a red one!

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2007 Sahara Unlimited Wrangler. The Odometer has 138,000 and that does not include the 50.000+ miles being towed behind the MH. We have the 4 door as it allows us to comfortably seat passengers in the back seat as well as the additional cargo space. The unlimited came with power windows and door locks. One thing I have not seen mentioned is the "Death Wobble". it is common with solid axle front wheel vehicles. It will come on anywhere after 75,000 miles. Ours came on about 100,000 miles or so. We did not know what it was and the dealer was clueless. I took the Jeep to the place where I get it serviced and they informed me of what the Death Wobble is. You need to be proactive on this issue. If you "Google" it you will be suprized to find out that it is a common thing. Our 2007 also does not have an ignition lock.

I have done off roading with it and the wife leaves the other car in the garage when the weather gets treacherous and takes the Jeep. You will generally not see the Wranglers in the Sunday car section on sale (except for a stripped down Wrangler X 2 door). The dealer keeps sending me a flyer with an amount for trade in on a new vehicle (last year they were willing to give me $16,000)

We love the Wrangler and will keep it till it dont drive no more.......
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
I think the Rubicon is the correct anwser for me. I want to do some off roading, but do not need another project to take a jeep and add lockers and such. Seems to be alot of late model used ones with low mileage around....... problem is I want a red one!

L.
Lloyd,
Like this one? We just purchased this one about a month and a half ago. It came to us ALMOST just as you see it. The main difference is/was, it came with mud terrain tires on it. I HATE THOSE! They have about 80% tread still on them but, you could hear us coming with those dumb a$$ tires on it, two states away. So, the next morning after we got it home, I was at Discount tire installing brand new All Terrains. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

But, other than that, I changed the lousy 7" round fog lights to Cree 2"x2" LED fog/driving lights. Again, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. We picked this 2003 RED Rubicon up, as you see it, with 28K on the clock, for $16K. This is Jeep number EIGHT for us. I've built all of them for fun off road stuff. I couldn't build this Jeep with the equipment on it you see (and don't see) for anywhere near the price we picked it up for. Oh, and it was already all set up for towing, including tow bar brackets and, all the wiring was done so the factory tail lights are toad lights.

Lots of un-informed guys who are looking for a Jeep as toad/daily driver etc. think that Rubicons are way too much for them or, not needed in terms of what they might have planned for their "jeeping" or, use as a toad with "some" off roading. Yep, no doubt about it, the Rubicon is by far, the most expensive of the Wrangler lineup.

But, it's also the most capable, in the Wrangler lineup too. Now, just because you get one, doesn't mean you'll be committed to ultra-off roading each and every time you go two inches off the pavement. The term "4 wheel drive" usually means TWO WHEEL DRIVE in all reality. Just about any non-Rubicon Wrangler, and just about any other "4-Wheel Drive" vehicle, with NON-ENHANCED DIFFERENTIALS is a two wheel drive unit. Those of us who know and are familiar with all phases of off roading, know what it takes, to make it from point A to point B.

When I say that a non-enhanced differential, I mean an "OPEN" differential. Without going into miles of explanation, basically only one wheel is powered, in both differentials. If one of the wheels/tires are on slippery ground and the other is on dry ground, the one on the slippery ground will get all the torque from the drive train, leaving the other one just sitting there, on dry ground.

And that goes for both differentials. If both are open, it's quite often that, that vehicle can get stuck quite easily due to the fact that only one wheel is powered, on each differential.

But, an enhanced differential is one with a limited slip set of clutches, or, any form of what's called a "Locker". Limited slip is also a term used in the old days called "Posi-trac" (although I think that was a brand name). It's a set of clutches that will, when called for, allow a LIMITED amount of slip of the wheel that's on the slippery ground, and send some of that torque to the wheel that's on the dry ground. That's a better situation by far, then an open differential.

A locker, means just that. It will, LOCK the two wheels together, so that both wheels get the same amount of torque, regardless of which one is on the slippery ground. One step further. A Rubicon comes with a LOCKER in both differentials. With the flip of a switch, in a given situation, you can lock all four wheels so that you in fact, REALLY DO HAVE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!

So, for anyone considering just about any off roading, with any regularity, you may, quite possibly, end up in a situation where TRUE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE is not only needed but, will provide you with a way out and back to civilization. It's not guaranteed but, it's seriously better than two open differentials. While one would pay more for a Rubi up front, the benefits of that unit, right out of the box, are definitely worth it, depending on the intended use of the Jeep in the first place.

The Rubi's come with better and stronger differentials than any other form of Wrangler, a lower geared, better transfer case, "Selectable" lockers, front and rear, and, one thing that many Rubi owners don't even know, they also come with a seriously nice quality LIMITED slip carrier, inside the rear differential. The cost to build a standard Wrangler, just to get it to the point the Rubi comes right from the factory, is way over what it costs when purchasing one.

The resale of a Rubi, is, as most of you have found out, much better than a standard Wrangler too. I could go on but, you're all getting bored reading. So, good luck and, have a great time out there, on or off road.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040857.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	115830   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040858.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	115831  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040859.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	115832  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #46

Yes Scott! Exactly!

Nice Jeep! I agree on the tires. I would have ditched those mudders as well.

Agreed on the Rubi is most capable. If I search dealers in our area (200 miles),,,, there are about 7-8 Rubi's that fit my specs, well most of my specs. Hard to find exact matches. My preference is

Late model JK,,,,
automatic
2 door
Rubi
Elect windows and door locks
Red

I will take it from there to my ultimate offroad vehicle.

Thanks for the info on the death wobble. I plan to trailer mine, so I can bring along my motorcycle.

L.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #47

My X wife's jku had the death wobble.... Driving down the road the thing acted like it was going to shake apart. I can't recall what was fixed, if it was ball joints,or what it was. I think the jeep was approx 5yrs old and 50k miles plus 20k miles behind the RV
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have an 07 Unlimited Sahara.
It has 4:11 gears, nav, trailer towing, both hard and soft tops, 18" wheels. Pretty much loaded. New it was $32,250. Today add 10k to that.
I use it as my daily driver and commute 500 miles a week. On the freeway it gets a not to bad 20mpg. It does use a little oil but always has since new.
I don't off road much other than an occasional beach or fire trail. I bought the unlimited for the versatility, ease of towing, decent re-sale value and it came with a Unlimited Powertrain Warranty to the original owner. Good luck finding that with any other car.
So, it's fun to drive.
It's tows easy
And so far I have collected a driver side exhaust manifold, a new valve pack in the tranny, a new Valve Rocker Assy on the pass side. A new rear main seal, a water pump, and a rear axle seal on my warranty. At 130k and 8 years of driving, I'm not unhappy at all. I am glad all the visits to the dealer were free of charge. I'm due for a new rear main seal.....again and a new Valve Rocker Assy....... again. But hey, it's free.
There's no reason to get rid of it but if I did, I'd most likely buy an other one.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:54 AM   #49

Well, I think we found our jeep. A 2015 Rubicon at Carmax in Sanford Florida. For $199 they are shipping it here to our local Carmax. It is reserved for us at the moment, waiting a shipping schedule. If we don't like it when it arrives, we lose our $199.

Didn't start out thinking we would spend this much, or buy one this new. However this one had a ok price,,, complete original full warrantee, and only 501 miles. A new Jeep at used prices!

It has the hardtop and fenders full body paint (Red), and appears to have most of the other upgrades. Premiuim stereo, elc windows, etc..

Salesman tells me 7 to 14 days to get it here.

L.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #50

Lloyd,
Hope it passes your approval, if so, good way to start the new year!
Post a pic if it's a keeper.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #51

Thanks! Will do on the pics!

I expect it will be a keeper, what could be wrong after 501 miles!

L.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
501 miles ?!?!

Somethings wrong
Old 01-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #53

Thanks all for all the info! We picked up our 2015 2 door Rubicon Wednesday night. Love it!

It is the one I spoke of, 503 miles when we test drove it, like new condition. Still smells new!

Unfortunatly we have a pretty bad winter storm socking it to us here today, 2 -3" of icy snow. And we have had to ride around in it with the new jeep! Its very dirty already!

L.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Thanks all for all the info! We picked up our 2015 2 door Rubicon Wednesday night. Love it!

It is the one I spoke of, 503 miles when we test drove it, like new condition. Still smells new!

Unfortunatly we have a pretty bad winter storm socking it to us here today, 2 -3" of icy snow. And we have had to ride around in it with the new jeep! Its very dirty already!

L.
Congrats! I think you will love the Wrangler, it is quite a unique vehicle. Of the 46 vehicles I've had so far, nothing has been anything like this one!

I may have missed this earlier, but what towbar and baseplate do you plan on installing on your Jeep?
Old 01-23-2016, 05:06 AM   #55

Hey Barmats!

I would like a new front bumper, and possibly a winch. Therefore I have been looking at bumpers that will double as a base plate.

At this moment I am favoring the the LOD signature series bumper. I spoke to them earlier this week and they will add mounts for a Roadmaster or Blue OX for no charge. They will do other mounts as well, but require I ship them the tow bar before they fabricate the mounts.

LOD seems to be highly recomended, those who have their products speak highly of them.

I am searching at the moment, figured I would look around for a used Roadmaster or Blue OX maybe save a little money. If I get a good deal on either of those I can then specify the bumper I want.

L.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #56

Quote:
Hey Barmats!

I would like a new front bumper, and possibly a winch. Therefore I have been looking at bumpers that will double as a base plate.

At this moment I am favoring the the LOD signature series bumper. I spoke to them earlier this week and they will add mounts for a Roadmaster or Blue OX for no charge. They will do other mounts as well, but require I ship them the tow bar before they fabricate the mounts.

LOD seems to be highly recomended, those who have their products speak highly of them.

I am searching at the moment, figured I would look around for a used Roadmaster or Blue OX maybe save a little money. If I get a good deal on either of those I can then specify the bumper I want.

L.
The LoD bumper is sitting in my living room on the floor, and I will probably install it tomorrow if the temps are what the forecast currently says they will be (just above freezing). The other brand that provides towbar ears is HardRock, but their towbar connector bolts on rather than being welded on like LoD's. A good weld will be stronger than 2 bolts, and LoD was considerably less expensive than the HardRock bumper.

LoD bumpers have received good reviews, and I'm happy with the product they built and shipped to me. It's going to look awesome. BUT... I'm very unhappy with the way they treated me, which to summarize was a number of unreturned phone calls and emails, delays, and finally, overcharging me for something: a) the website said I needed, and b) they verified that I needed twice during separate phone calls. I don't want to publicly bash them, and like I said, the bumper looks awesome, but PM me if you want specific details. I would say if you're going to mount a winch, you probably won't run into one of the problems I experienced.

BTW, the best price I found for the Blue Ox Avail towbar was from an RV vendor on eBay who sold it to me for $759 (about $200 less than other online vendors).