RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
4250lbs would be doable
But it's only a 2 door and not at all convenient for a big dog unless you let him/her enter from the rear door. Removing the rear seat would also be a nice option if it were only the dog and gear back there.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #44

A 2 door rag top would be ok. Yes we could remove the backseats.

Would need it to haul kayaks though.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #45

Quote:
A 2 door rag top would be ok. Yes we could remove the backseats.

Would need it to haul kayaks though.
The hard top doesn't add all that much weight and the extra security is well worth the extra heft IMO. It's super easy to mount a Kayak carrier to the top of a hard top Wrangler.

The '04-'06 2 door LJ Wrangler is a slightly better rig than the regular '97-'06 TJ Wrangler. The LJ has a 10" longer wheelbase and is 15" longer overall. 12" more cargo space behind the rear seat and 3" more leg room for the rear passengers. Those numbers don't sound like a lot but it is because the standard 2 door wrangler has almost no rear seat leg room and very little room behind the rear seat.

The downfall to the '04-'06 LJ is they are fairly rare and the people who own them think they are worth gold. It's stupid what people think their 2006 LJ Rubi is worth. Some going for north of $30k. They are not worth anyway near that much money IMO.

IT's not like the 07-11 Wrangler's (both 2 and 4 door) are terrible vehicles. They are fine and you can find them for much $$$ less than a 2006 LJ 2 door. But the '12 and newer are much better Jeeps.

In addition. IF you don't plan to do a bunch of off roading you don't really have to have the Rubicon. That will save you 200-250lbs depinding on configuration. You can find a 2007-2011 Sahara or Sport JKU (4 door) that will weigh between 4100-4200 lbs. That will give you +600lbs of cargo capacity and you will still come in a few hundred under your towing limit. 2 kayaks and a nice rack weigh maybe 150lbs. So it would be fairly easy to stay under 5000lbs as long as you don't go adding a bunch of steel bumpers, rock guards, big tires, winches, recovery gear, etc, etc.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #46

Hi Tom,

Whether I get a Jeep or car my budget all in for the purchase and tow setup would be 10k tops. Not sure what I would get for that. A 4 door would be more practical for getting the dog in and out and carrying gear, also if we had guests.

A lot of the older jeeps in Michigan are beat from the road salt.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Tom,

Whether I get a Jeep or car my budget all in for the purchase and tow setup would be 10k tops. Not sure what I would get for that. A 4 door would be more practical for getting the dog in and out and carrying gear, also if we had guests.

A lot of the older jeeps in Michigan are beat from the road salt.
Not trying to be negative Nelly but with a $10k budget your really looking at more of a 1997 thru maybe early 2000's at the newest unless you can find one that needs attention and then you will blow past the budget to repair it.

That being said, the area you are looking will also play a role but around here in Utah even TJ's are bringing a premium of low teens. There are some sub-$10k TJ's showing up but they are far from pristine and need a lot of attention. My son just sold his non-rubicon 2004 LJ for $17k and it went in less than a day.

I was going to suggest if you wanted the ultimate driver/wheeler that you find a 2007-2011 for a decent price and drop an LS into it and still be into it less than a newer JKU and have a much better running and performing Jeep but that was before I saw your $10k limit.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #48

Hi Z,

You hit the nail on the head. If it was going to be my daily driver I would afford to go to about 30k but will be keeping my Toyota Seqouia. This is solely for towing behind the rv and around town.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Not trying to be negative Nelly but with a $10k budget your really looking at more of a 1997 thru maybe early 2000's at the newest unless you can find one that needs attention and then you will blow past the budget to repair it.

That being said, the area you are looking will also play a role but around here in Utah even TJ's are bringing a premium of low teens. There are some sub-$10k TJ's showing up but they are far from pristine and need a lot of attention. My son just sold his non-rubicon 2004 LJ for $17k and it went in less than a day.

I was going to suggest if you wanted the ultimate driver/wheeler that you find a 2007-2011 for a decent price and drop an LS into it and still be into it less than a newer JKU and have a much better running and performing Jeep but that was before I saw your $10k limit.
You are exactly right Z. It's hard to believe that a 20 year old Wrangler is worth what people are asking for them. Anytime you find a "deal" on one you will be "dealing" with lots of challenges. IMO Wranglers and their Owners are a lot like Harleys and their Owners. They have a cult following and everyone thinks their old TJ/JK is worth a mint. One of these days the bottom is gonna fall out of the used Wrangler market and prices will come down to where then should be.

I own several Jeeps including the '06 LJ Rubi I pull as a toad. Wranglers are fun to drive. They are great in traffic and parking lots. They make awesome toads. But they are primitive compared to most any other vehicle you can get for the same money.

And for Uni. $10k will not get you a nice, clean, dependable TJ or JK unfortunately. They make great toads but finding a good one for $10k is not easy. On top of that there is now way in heck that I would buy a Jeep product in any state that uses salt or calcium chloride or any other product on the roads in the winter.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:33 PM   #50

Thanks Tom,

It was worth checking out anyways :-)
Old 01-20-2020, 03:51 PM   #51

Forest River Owners Club
Hey Unicorn Driver...

I was just mulling over what to do about a toad, and ran across this thread. Based on your sig, I see you ended up with a 2012 JKU. How do you like it by now? How has the weight worked out for you when "toading"? I need to spend some time with our rig's specs, but I know we have a 5,000 limit for towing (Ford F53 chassis)

Were you able to set it up for kayaks, etc.?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Hey Unicorn Driver...

I was just mulling over what to do about a toad, and ran across this thread. Based on your sig, I see you ended up with a 2012 JKU. How do you like it by now? How has the weight worked out for you when "toading"? I need to spend some time with our rig's specs, but I know we have a 5,000 limit for towing (Ford F53 chassis)

Were you able to set it up for kayaks, etc.?

Thanks!
Hi Steve,

We really like the Jeep as a toad. We went with the NSA Ready Brute Elite, I had a dealer set it up for me.

The one thing to watch is that Wrangler gutter mounted roof racks are only rated for about 90lbs including the racks, I ended up getting a Barricade Exo Skeleton roof rack to use with Yakima Jaylo carriers.

I have not weighed the Wrangler since adding the roof rack but weighed the components and they added about 270lbs, with the tow bar/baseplate and a full tank of gas it's running about 4850lbs, my rear engine workhorse tows like a champ.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190518_165607.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	272806Click image for larger version

Name:	20190727_162541.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	272807
Old 01-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #53

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Steve,

We really like the Jeep as a toad. We went with the NSA Ready Brute Elite, I had a dealer set it up for me.

The one thing to watch is that Wrangler gutter mounted roof racks are only rated for about 90lbs including the racks, I ended up getting a Barricade Exo Skeleton roof rack to use with Yakima Jaylo carriers.

I have not weighed the Wrangler since adding the roof rack but weighed the components and they added about 270lbs, with the tow bar/baseplate and a full tank of gas it's running about 4850lbs, my rear engine workhorse tows like a champ.
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like a nice rig! And that's a good tip about the Exo Skeleton - one of our kayaks is a Hobie Adventure Island...it's a real monster

I need to weigh our rig as soon as I get it out of winter storage in a couple months... Then I'll have a much better idea of how much margin I'm working with in the real world. Then, of course, there's getting agreement about the best course of action
Old 01-20-2020, 09:08 PM   #54

The Exo was a bit of a pig to fit as wanted to retain the stock rear bumper. Luckily a buddy had a lift and is well versed in this type of Wrangler mod :-)

Name:	20190505_194058.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	272820
Old 11-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #55

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Unicorn: thanks for this thread. In case it helps anyone else out, i've got a 2-door 2016 JK Wrangler with some off-road gear and a full tank of gas weighed in at 4,100 lbs at the truck stop scales - which surprised me (i thought it'd be lighter than that!)

Recently I've added a canine companion, and dealing with the issue of what to do because of the 2-door problem: deal with the PIA in/out backseat procedure (the dog going in is far easier than the going out, in fact it looks painful for the poor guy, i think he dreads car rides now), remove the backseat so he can come in the back, or get a 4-door Jeep. The backseat has come in handy from time to time, and removing it means the dog has nowhere to lean on while accelerating and making turns. Yet if I keep the 2-door I'd have to install sliding windows in the back to give the dog some fresh air (that's another $1,000).

I started looking at the 2021 4-door Wranglers, thinking they may be lighter and they seem to get better MPG. Trying to estimate curb weight, it looks like the 4-cylinder Wrangler Unlimited curb weight *might be* 4,160 lbs (thats the lowest model, all others weigh more). Not sure what I'll do yet.

For now just wanted to share my 2016 2-door JK's measured weight and ask if anyone has weighed their newer 4-door JL (2019+) at a truck scale recently.
Thanks.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:54 AM   #56

I've had my 21 JLU Sport Altitude 2.0L turbo for three weeks and love it. I just finished all my tow prep, Maximus loops and Mopar harness & took it up to the scale. Jeep says base curb weight is 4167 & mine weighed 4420 with a full 21.5 fuel. The MPG's are a nice surprise as I'm averaging almost 24 for mixed driving.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2021 Wrangler.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	309037  
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, weight