Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brakemaster on our Wrangler. It has a break away feature. If you don't have one and your toad does break away and injures someone, I wouldn't want to be you.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #16

I use an SMI duo and it works very well but my Jeep is too heavy for my RV and so I'll be switching to a trailer and a larger RV. Not to hijack your thread but the SMI is for sale if anyone is looking for a Jeep setup.
boiledfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfiedler View Post
I use an SMI duo and it works very well but my Jeep is too heavy for my RV and so I'll be switching to a trailer and a larger RV. Not to hijack your thread but the SMI is for sale if anyone is looking for a Jeep setup.
Is that unit tied into the brake line? My 2007 Wrangler Sahara 4 dr manual says NO to any auxiliary brake that is tied into the brake line system on the Jeep in any way. I think Ready Brake is the only way that I could go. I'm still in the research stage and I'm confused about systems that tie into the toads brake lines. Any help? Joe
Old 06-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Most of the units I am familiar with use some device to push (or pull) on the brake petal, which doesn't tie into the brake line in the Jeep. We use an SMI Air Force One, which is fastened to the firewall and pulls down on the brake pedal when activated. Works great.

joe
Old 06-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #19

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I use the M&G which does not tie into the brake line, It is a cylinder that attaches forward of the master cylinder.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Anyone have the Ready Brute Tow Bar and Brake System???

This is from the M&G site and it sure sounds as though it is connected to the brake lines of both vehicles:

"M&G Car Braking Systems for Coaches with AIR BRAKES
For this type braking system, an air cylinder is mounted between the master cylinder and vacuum booster on the towed vehicle. An air pressure line is connected to the motor coach's air brake system and extended to the air cylinder on the towed vehicle"

Maybe I am misreading the directions on the M&G and the Air Force One but they seem to be units that are NOT allowed on the Jeep I have. So far the Ready Brake integrated into the tow bar and called the Ready Brute System seems to be the least invasive system and the one allowed according to the Jeep Manual. I am not trying to be being picky, but I don't want to go with any system that would have me messing up my Jeep brake system. The manual says that some of the aux brake systems cause the Jeep's brake system to be over-pressured and damaged. That's what I am afraid of. The Ready Brute System does not attach or tie into any of the brake or vacuum lines. It appears to be a simple surge type devise built right into the tow bar.

As soon as my wife retires (no date set) we'll need a toad. Her '06 PT Cruiser is not able to be used as a toad. My '07 Jeep can be used as a toad and the only thing that has to be done after the Tow Bar/Braking System is attached is the disconnection of the negative battery cable and, of course, the key on acc and the transmission and trans-axle in neutral.

Maybe someone out there has the Ready Brute Tow Bar and Brake System and can tell me if it works for them? Joe
Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #21

We use a Brakemaster 9000 when towing our 04 Wrangler. It provides proportional braking and also has a breakaway feature should something go wrong.

Not all chassis have brakes rated for the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating), which is the total weight of the coach and anything it's towing. The brakes on the Ford F53 chassis are rated for the GVWR (Gross Wehicle Weight Rating), which is the total allowable weight of coach only.

In the case of our coach the GCWR is 26,000 lbs. The GVWR is only 20,500 lbs. Ford recommends brakes on anything towed that weighs over 1,500 lbs even if the total combined weight is under the GVWR.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a Roadmaster Brakemaster and utilize the on board coach air system. The air cylinder for the brake pedal is easily installed and removed in a matter of minutes. The break away feature is peace of mind.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #23

The smi does not tie into the brake lines. It does tie into your vacuum line, which poses no risk at all. It has an onboard pump which generates a vacuum that is used to keep the braking system in a similar state as when you are driving. When the coach brakes are applied a small piston on the toad is actuated and it applies the brakes just as if you had pressed the peddle yourself, unlike other systems that must apply much greater force to your brakes because there is no vacuum available.
boiledfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #24

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

as tfiedler describes smi is how I understand the M&G system works. The M&G cylinder is attached fwd of the master cylinder setup and when M/H brakes are applied a piston in the cylinder is actuated and brakes are applied proportionally...
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #25

In the following thread I have posted some pictures of my installation of the US Gear set-up in my 2008 JK Wrangler.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/unifi...all-69575.html
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfiedler View Post
The smi does not tie into the brake lines. It does tie into your vacuum line, which poses no risk at all. It has an onboard pump which generates a vacuum that is used to keep the braking system in a similar state as when you are driving. When the coach brakes are applied a small piston on the toad is actuated and it applies the brakes just as if you had pressed the peddle yourself, unlike other systems that must apply much greater force to your brakes because there is no vacuum available.
This is from the towing section for towing the Jeep behind a motorhome or other rec vehicle verbatim from my Jeep manual:

"DO NOT connect to the Jeep hydraulic brake system OR VACUUM SYSTEM. This can cause inadequate braking and possible personal injury."

I have to go by that because if something went wrong and I had an accident I would be in real trouble. Hope this clears up the issue that I am concerned with. This is why I am leaning toward the Ready Brute system with the surge brake built into the tow bar. Nothing connects to any brake lines or vacuum lines. The Jeep manual goes into much detail for towing the Jeep with a rec vehicle. Many pages, too much to print here. Joe
Old 06-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
ReadyBrake (ReadyBrute_ integrated in tow bar)

Looks like it is the least invasive aux brake system..Click image for larger version

Name:	ReadyBrake Animation.gif
Views:	140
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	4388
Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #28
isa

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgladdad View Post
For safety reason and to make known the limitations on the towing vehicle manufacturers give all the towing specs. and limits of their equipment. You must look at the manufacturers load and certification labels on your RV. I have a 39Z Bounder and I tow a Grand Cherokee. The total weights of the coach, loaded gear, and occupants plus the toad do not exceed the limits stated by Freightliner or Fleetwood which is 30,500 lbs. GCWR. When you are within the tow vehicle specs. for total GCWR then you are considered safe with the exsisting braking capabilities of you towing equipment.
This is 100% WRONG.

The manufacturer of any vehicle builds the braking performance required to stop that vehicle and only that vehicle based on the GVWR of the vehicle. The GCVWR tells you how much load you can safely pull by calculating the difference between the two values.

My 2000 Triple E Commander 3505GS has a GCWVR of 26000 Lb. The GVWR is 20500 so I can pull a Toad that is less then 5500 lb. But the F53 braking system is only designed to brake 20500 lb safely.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote