Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2022, 11:23 AM   #15

We've towed a manual transmission Mini for 3 years now and it's worked great, can't even tell it's back there. The only downside to the Mini is if you want to take another couple with you. Back seat is extremely tight!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2022, 11:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
We use this Gen-Y multiposition hitch (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MV4JCLQ/) at our RV receiver. The tow bar goes in the bottom and the bike rack in the top. I'll put a photo of the setup at the end.

I did all the baseplate and lighting work myself. The hardest part of the baseplate is taking the front bumper fascia off but it's definitely possible as DIY. Otherwise, most people go to a hitch shop or RV dealer.

Towing practices depend a little on the year of the Mini. Ours does not have a steering lock, but I understand some of the earlier ones did. Basically we just connect the tow bar and safety chains, plug in the electrical cord, then set up the portable brake system. Make sure the parking brake is off and transmission in neutral. It takes us less than ten minutes to connect or disconnect.

We just got back from our initial 5000 mile round trip with the Mini and I didn't see any damage or rock chips. It is filthy, though!

Here's what our setup looks like:
Attachment 355920
Nice setup! How do you find the portable brake system works compared to a hard wired system? We have no experience with either.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLURay View Post
Just to put a different spin on it...we used to tow our old Subaru WRX all over the place. We have since bought our Jeep specifically for towing. Seeing as you have a 16 year old son, the Jeep has given us as many memories as camping in general has, maybe even more. Our son just turned 19, and the adventures we have had specifically with the Jeep far exceed anything possible with a Mini. We now search for camping destinations where we can explore in the Jeep.

I am a huge car nut, my daily is a BMW M2, but I absolutely adore our Jeep. It rattles, wanders all over the freeway, drives like a truck, etc... but the joy it has added for our family is priceless.

Here is a pic with our son in Sedona two months ago.
Nice Jeep! Very good point. Living in the panhandle of FL, not sure if we would be able to take the Jeep on as many trails as we would like. Really depends on how much time we can spend out west. Definitely think a Jeep or a Bronco is the long term solution, but brainstorming a possible stop gap until things settle down as well as we really figure out what is best for us.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
We use the NSA Ready Brute for our Wrangler. It can be used with any vehicle setup to use it without changing the tow bar. You'd need a different base plate (or the many options available for Wranglers) and both would need to be prepped with wiring and the brake kit. This would probably be the least expensive option to start with one vehicle and then switch to another. I installed mine myself as have many others.
Thanks. Do you have the integrated braking system? I watched a video on their website and looks pretty easy to hook up. Any downside in performance?
Old 02-08-2022, 12:05 PM   #19

Another dumb question...does it matter what type of braking system the coach has? I saw a a Patriot Braking System 3 for sale on the classified here and the seller stated he/she was selling it because he bought a DP with air brakes. I am trying to figure out how that changes the braking requirements of the toad. Thanks
Old 02-08-2022, 02:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTIIpilot View Post
Nice setup! How do you find the portable brake system works compared to a hard wired system? We have no experience with either.
I have no experience with any system other than the portable system we use in our Mini. The Mini is so small/light that it only occasionally needs supplemental braking. We rely on it primarily for use in a breakaway situation. I only see it activate during heavy braking in the RV and, so far, haven't been able to detect any real difference in the braking distance. But we haven't had to make any panic stops and I expect it would make a difference there.

Portable, electrically signaled systems (such as the Patriot III) can be used behind any motorhome. Class A coaches that have air brakes often use an air signaled system such as the Air Force 1. I don't have air brakes so have not done any research on those systems.
dvspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:05 PM   #21

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
We too have been looking at getting a toad but keep finding lists of models and years suitable for flat towing and the selection process gets very complicated and we risk buying a troublesome vehicle for the occasional time when we would take it on the road.

Our thoughts have moved onward to using a dolly but are finding too many small vehicles with electric parking brakes. We want a nice reliable car that my wife could drive (meaning an automatic) that puts us back into a newer car with some luxury.

Can electric parking brakes be disabled without causing grief with other onboard systems or voiding the warranty? Short of that option would be a double axle trailer that could carry a 3500 - 4000 lb car.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:25 PM   #22

What type of RV'ing are you going to be doing ? Longer trips with lengthy stays or just shorter hops such as weekend trips ?
Have you considered a trailer for one ( or more ) of the cars that you already have ? Then if you want to get a Jeep at a later date the trailer may be more salable than a mini with a lot of miles on it and a tow bar setup. Plus you would probably be saving on ins., plates, etc. Something to think about maybe.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
What type of RV'ing are you going to be doing ? Longer trips with lengthy stays or just shorter hops such as weekend trips ?
Have you considered a trailer for one ( or more ) of the cars that you already have ? Then if you want to get a Jeep at a later date the trailer may be more salable than a mini with a lot of miles on it and a tow bar setup. Plus you would probably be saving on ins., plates, etc. Something to think about maybe.
That is a good point. Haven't researched it too much as I figured a trailer would be a pain to deal with and store when not using. Also, the vehicles that I would tow are over 5,000 lbs or would be with the trailer included and that is the hitch rating as well would take it up to GCVWR.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:11 AM   #24

Setting up a toad is fairly easy and many of us choose to DIY it. I'm not super handy but do my own so I bet you can too. However, if you plan to just turn it over to a "shop" setting up a temporary toad solution might not be the best use of funds. Toad will need a base plate, wiring for lights, aux braking, and emergency disconnect. Besides the aux brake choice all these other installs will be exclusive to the mini and will not transfer to another vehicle. Doing it yourself can be done for maybe $750 parts only (not including aux brake). Although if you choose a ReadyBrute tow bar the aux brake will transfer to the next vehicle as it's built into the tow bar with minimal cost. Also many other aux brake set ups will transfer also with no or minimal cost. I guess my point is if you plan to just get out your cc and pay to have this done it doesn't make sense to spend that on a vehicle that is your second choice as a toad & you really plan to tow something else in the near future.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:20 AM   #25

Look at Demco 3 towdolly-disc hyd brakes LED lights folds for storage Pulls super & is easy to move around by hand with 3rd wheel --A few out there for $2- 3 grand, Rich
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:31 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Here's an article that walks you through the various options for toad braking systems.

https://campaddict.com/reviews/towin...aking-systems/

In your case it sounds like the Mini Cooper would be a good option but a short term solution so I'd suggest sticking with a portable system that could be transferred from vehicle to vehicle. Or later you could sell it as there is market for these. I helped a friend set up and test one of these, very simple.

I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee used ~12 years ago. It has held up well, haven't had any noticeable wear and tear on it. Since I have air brakes and the coach had already been set up for this type system I installed a Brakemaster 9001 system. It can be moved from vehicle to vehicle but would take some effort since I mounted the small air tank for the breakaway function, I'd have to dismantle the whole front end to get to it. Possible but not likely. Besides, I don't see myself getting a different toad.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Setting up a toad is fairly easy and many of us choose to DIY it. I'm not super handy but do my own so I bet you can too. However, if you plan to just turn it over to a "shop" setting up a temporary toad solution might not be the best use of funds. Toad will need a base plate, wiring for lights, aux braking, and emergency disconnect. Besides the aux brake choice all these other installs will be exclusive to the mini and will not transfer to another vehicle. Doing it yourself can be done for maybe $750 parts only (not including aux brake). Although if you choose a ReadyBrute tow bar the aux brake will transfer to the next vehicle as it's built into the tow bar with minimal cost. Also many other aux brake set ups will transfer also with no or minimal cost. I guess my point is if you plan to just get out your cc and pay to have this done it doesn't make sense to spend that on a vehicle that is your second choice as a toad & you really plan to tow something else in the near future.
Very good point. Thanks. Which system do you use? I saw on the camp addict review that the RVI Brake 3 was the best portable system. But previously, some others had recommended the ReadyBrute tow bar w/ the aux brake.

If it is relatively easy, I will do it myself, if not will take it to a shop. My thought if I go the Mini route is to get the easiest and relatively inexpensive setup, then either transfer it over or sell it when go with the long term solution. My thought is bolting on a tow plate should be fairly straight forward. However, running wiring, drilling holes, installing lights, etc sounds like it get more complicated.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTIIpilot View Post
My thought is bolting on a tow plate should be fairly straight forward. However, running wiring, drilling holes, installing lights, etc sounds like it get more complicated.
I did the work myself and consider myself to be a shade tree mechanic of average competence. I found that attaching the baseplate was the most difficult part of the conversion. Removing the Mini front fascia (including disconnecting integrated lights/wiring) was time consuming but not difficult. Bolting on the baseplate was straightforward. Drilling holes through the bumper core was scary but not terribly difficult. Same for cutting small access holes into the front grille/fascia. Reattaching the front fascia/wiring/etc. was time consuming. I went slow and double checked each step. Took me about 3 days of 4-5 hours planning/working to get the baseplate attached. Wiring a charge line, breakaway connection, and lights (I used a 4 diode system) was not difficult and took me about a day. It was fairly easy to find YouTube videos to explain everything. Etrailer site is a good place to start. Look at their installation instructions for all the baseplates that will fit your toad and see what you think.

If you decide to change toads there is a pretty robust market for toads that have the equipment already installed.
dvspl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep