Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2022, 07:00 AM   #57

Ford Escape Hybrid AWD flat towable

We ordered a 2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD. It is towable 4 down. With the Ford escape only this one is flat towable but it can not be towed on a dolly. Strange.

With the hybrid AWD there is a SETTING that disengages the transmission and the elect motors as well.

All of the equipment: base plate, towbar, brakes, lights are available

We have VIN and it's scheduled for assembly week of Feb 28. We'll see.

Ford publishes a list of vehicles and how they can be towed.
heatherdawnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2022, 07:19 AM   #58

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you're going to go used and you don't have an infatuation with the wrangler, consider the Liberty. Makes a perfect toad, and is reasonably comfortable driving. Probably a 2012 would be half the cost of a 2012 Wrangler.
wmcrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:30 AM   #59

We have towed an 02 Wrangler, four wheels down, for over 155,000 miles. I would not waste my time & money towing anything else !!
J. W. Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:31 AM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman II View Post
I have a Chevrolet Spark. Only 2000 pounds. I have a 26 foot Thor Axis and can’t even tell that is back there. Gas changed maybe .5 miles to a gallon. I am 6’3 and have plenty of head and leg room. 34 mpg also.
I also tow a Chevy Spark, and it is great. Also, I paid $10K for it brand new out the door! And lastly, remember the old adage "never tow anything you love - eventually it will break your heart" Road debris, rocks, dead animals, etc. etc. fly up behind RVs, thus all tow vehicles eventually take a beating running 6 feet behind a set of dual wheels...
Iceman-31D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:03 AM   #61

Mini or Jeep toad?

I have a 2011 Mini S (turbo) 6 speed. I towed behind a Dutchstar and lately a Sprinter based Forester. First you have to check the rear camera to make sure it is still back there. Second, very easy to couple and uncouple. Third and by far the biggest reason is that the Mini is the best for touring & sight seeing. Easy to get around (Key West) easy to park and cheap to drive. This is a big deal in congested areas.[/U] Fourth, 4 seats are usable by adults. Fifth, The convertable will hold more than you can imagine (top down . and Last it is a very fun, fast car. I may be selling as I am not touring anymore but in 35K miles not a dime in repairs I love the Mini. My 22 cents.
147TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:17 AM   #62

Wrangler with Blue Ox tow package.You could use the Mini Cooper for riding around the camp ground but be carefull you don*t get pushed out of the way by a golf cart. No disrespect meant but a Mini Cooper is the most un-safe vehicle allowed on the roads today. Safe Travels
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:26 AM   #63

2012 Fiat 500C/man 5 speed

I’ve flat towed this car for about 12,000 miles and it has been a lot of fun. At 2,400 lbs. I don’t even know it’s behind me and there is no need for a braking system. I slap on magnetic brake/turn lights, make sure it’s in neutral, emergency brake is released and off we go. It even has a hitch receiver for a bike rack. I like keeping things simple and even my wife likes to drive it. BTW, the odometer stops rolling over with the engine off.
damonflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:28 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTIIpilot View Post
Very good point. Thanks. Which system do you use? I saw on the camp addict review that the RVI Brake 3 was the best portable system. But previously, some others had recommended the ReadyBrute tow bar w/ the aux brake.

If it is relatively easy, I will do it myself, if not will take it to a shop. My thought if I go the Mini route is to get the easiest and relatively inexpensive setup, then either transfer it over or sell it when go with the long term solution. My thought is bolting on a tow plate should be fairly straight forward. However, running wiring, drilling holes, installing lights, etc sounds like it get more complicated.
I tow a 21 JL four door & love it. Mopar wiring, Maximus tow loops, ReadyBrute Elite II tow bar.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:39 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTONBERNIE View Post
Wrangler with Blue Ox tow package.You could use the Mini Cooper for riding around the camp ground but be carefull you don*t get pushed out of the way by a golf cart. No disrespect meant but a Mini Cooper is the most un-safe vehicle allowed on the roads today. Safe Travels
I don't believe what you are saying is true.

This is from the NHSTA:
"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) gave the 2016 MINI COOPER HARDTOP 4 out of 5 stars for Overall Front Star Rating. The front passenger side was given 5 out of 5 stars and the driver side was given 4 stars."

This is from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS):
--Good is the highest rating--
Crashworthiness
Rating overview
Small overlap front: driver-side
Good
Moderate overlap front
Good
Side: original test
Good
Roof strength
Good
Head restraints & seats
Good

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:51 AM   #66

Look at a Jeep Cherokee

Look at a Jeep Cherokee With the 2 speed 4WD. The transfer case has a neutral position allowing it to be flat towed. I own a Trailhawk model and it works great.
It drives smooth, more like a car but can also do mild to moderate trail 4-wheeling. The Cherokee is also significantly lighter. Good luck.
Dminer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:48 AM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
[Hello,
We've just returned from a trip to South Florida and saw several MH's towing a mini.
Cajun1RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:54 AM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTIIpilot View Post
Just got our first MH and searching for a toad. All of our vehicles are AWD and can't be towed either four down or on a dolly. Plan was to get a used Wrangler, but used prices are outrageous now especially on used Jeeps. It seems pricing on a used manual Mini is more realistic (10 years old or so). Therefore, our current thought is possibly pivot and get a used Mini first and then later on switch to the Jeep. Although I did a lot of research on the RV purchase, I haven't been able to do much on the toad setup. Would like to hear from the group thoughts on either of those vehicles as toads and what are the issues with switching vehicles down the road. I understand will need to install some sort of braking system which would have to be transferred between vehicles as well as a different base plate. Thanks for the info..
It will cost you about $5k to install and modify a vehicle to be your TOAD. So, while prices are high now, you will also take a hit in modifying and switching two vehicles. If you have the money and patience, I would order a new Jeep (special order). BTW - Jeep is offering cash back on Wranglers (not Rubicon), but everything else.
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:02 AM   #69

Another vote for a Spark

Set up a Corolla in the family, took it for one trip, was disappointed wrt the weight. It was about 2800 lbs, and pushed the RV around on corners. Also, was a pain to put on the baseplate.

Bought a '21 Spark base model for about $13K, and it is great. IMHO, get the newer models (from '17 on?), the older ones don't drive as well, and have little power. Manual door locks, manual windows, manual transmission.. Baseplate was easier to put on.

Use a ready-break tow bar, with magnetic lights. Need to remove the battery ground before towing, which is not a big deal.

I'd love a 4x4, but with a Sprinter based chassis, weight is critical The ~500lbs between the Corolla and the Spark make a huge difference in driving.

Spark as Toad
woodruff13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:13 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
It is not easy to switch vehicles once one is set up to flat tow. You will have different tow bars, electrical hookups for your turn signals and break lights.

There is a reason their is so many Jeeps being used as a tow vehicle. Super easy to get the parts. You can flat tow stick or automatic. No steering lock on the later models. Plug and play modules for your electrical set up. Looks great, can go anywhere. Downside, yes they are expensive, used or new. I am on my 4th Jeep as a tow vehicle.

PAM
I’ll second this. We’re on our second one, a Gladiator this time. In addition to being very easy to hook up (we’ve done it so many times we can attach, install brake, and check to make sure lights work and wheels turn free in about 10 min), they are fun for exploring back roads and trails. If you never plan on getting off-road or rough road exploring/playing then maybe the MC is a better choice, plus mileage should be better. But if you want a toad that is easy and fun, I’d say get the Jeep now.
Jtschnel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep