Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
We've had four Jeeps. As a daily driver I always enjoyed them for the first year, then realized how stiff the ride was. In the end, I always parked the Jeep and bought something that was a lot more "cushioned" to use as a daily driver. The last time around, I went from a TJ Rubi to a full-size pick-up. But even then went back to a new Jeep again -- Go Figure!

Still kept the stiff-riding Jeeps, but tended to use them only when I needed to go where a Jeep was made to go. And I still do prefer them as a toad behind the motorhome.

The JK and TJs were easy to work on and modify/equip as necessary -- I did enjoy making repairs and upgrades on them that became required through driver abuse. The only Jeep where I was not comfortable with its reliability was the KL (Cherokee TrailHawk), although it did have the "cushioned" type of ride that I like in a daily driver.

The other drawback for me was the cargo space in a Jeep -- but that has already been discussed. The pick-up truck forever spoiled me for available cargo space!

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 05' TJ Rubicon has been very reliable. Especially given much of it's miles are off-roading. Keeping up with maintenance and proactively looking for things broken, loose, or missing is a must for off-roading reliability.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallisawfire View Post
We're exploring the possibility of trading my F-150 for a new Jeep Wrangler (4 door) for a daily driver and to tow behind our motor home , any one have any experience with these? Are they a good vehicle?

Well yeah, they are a Jeep. The new JK models are more complicated than the older TJ Jeeps. If you get a used JK get a 2012 or newer model with the 3.6 engine. The newer JK models have much better fuel mileage than the older 4.0 models. Those new JK's are very pricey, but I guess everything is today.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I've been driving Wranglers since 1996 and I've never heard of the rear brakes wearing faster than the fronts. Wranglers do not use brake activated traction systems, they use true limited slips or lockers. Is it possible someone drove or towed it with the emergency brake slightly applied?

From my 2013 owner's manual:

"Traction Control System (TCS)
This system monitors the amount of wheel spin of each of the driven wheels. If wheel spin is detected, brake pressure is applied to the slipping wheel(s) to provide enhanced acceleration and stability. A feature of the TCS system functions similar to a limited slip differential and controls the wheel spin across a driven axle. If one wheel on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other, the system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel. This will allow more engine torque to be applied to the wheel that is not spinning. This feature remains active even if TCS and ESC are in either the “Partial Off” or “Full Off” modes. Refer to “Electronic Stability Control (ESC)” in this section for further information."

There is a button on the dash to deactivate the system. It would have to be pushed every time we start up. I have thought about it, believe me. I have used it when off road and wheel slip is expected and controlled by operator.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #19

What they said . . .

If you can find one (very unlikely), a 2005 or 2006 TJ Rubicon (aka LJ) has a fantastic ride. The extra 14" of wheel base makes it a cloud. For town and freeways, I enjoy driving my 2006 LJ more than my fully tricked out 2014 JKUR.

For RVing, I think an Unlimited (4-dr) is better because there will be times you may want to haul another couple.

The current engine began in 2012. Kinks were out by 2013. The engine before 2012 is literally junk.

Given the resale values, if you can streeetch a little and buy new, the difference won't be much. Plus, you can get it like you want. If there's ANY likelihood you will be going on bad forest service roads or riding some mediumly-serious trails with other Jeepers, spring for the Rubicon package. It has the climbing and articulation abilities built in. A Ruby also has much higher resale than a Sport.

Jerry
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #20

Quote:
I've been driving Wranglers since 1996 and I've never heard of the rear brakes wearing faster than the fronts. Wranglers do not use brake activated traction systems, they use true limited slips or lockers. Is it possible someone drove or towed it with the emergency brake slightly applied?
Robbie,
You need to do a bit of research on your info on later Jeeps, especially the JK. The first generation Rubicon, as in 2003 - 2006, a "TJ" model, had/has AIR controlled locking differentials. But, the rear diff also sported a Thorsen-Gleason "limited Slip" unit too.

But, in the present JK model Rubicons, there's quite a bit changed. Yes, they both still sport locking differentials but, they are NOT air controlled, they are electronically activated. And, there no longer is the Thorsen-Gleason limited slip unit in the rear. In stead, Jeep uses, at various intervals, an action called: BLD or, Brake Lock Differential. In short, that system does what many folks used to do manually. And that is, when certain conditions are met, the wheel speed sensors detect conditions whereby one wheel is spinning at a different rate than the other one and, there is throttle being applied and, there are certain speed parameters involved, it WILL APPLY THE BRAKES on the spinning wheel.

That in tern, acts very similar to a LIMITED SLIP differential. Now, if this "BLD" action is being used on a regular basis, based on how the operator is driving and, the conditions for its operation are met on a frequent basis, that WILL RESULT in accelerated REAR BRAKE WEAR, as apposed to the fronts.

Now, not only that operation but, there is also one called "ESC". That is Electronic Stability Control. That system in short, is this:

What is Electronic Stability Program?
When ESC detects loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to wheels individually, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer.

Sorry for the long thread but, when folks talk about accelerated brake wear on the later JK jeeps, if, IF that condition arises, there are reasons for it.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #21

Ours is currently a 09 with 148,000 miles. Wife drives 100 miles daily for work. Only items we have done, is oil changes every 3K, new set of tires at 90K and brakes all the way around at 120K.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #22

We have a 2015 4 door and use it as a daily driver and tow vehicle. While we only have 16k miles on it, we haven't had any issues with it. Somewhere in the 2012-2013 range they did away with the steering wheel lock so we can hook ours up to the MH and take the key with us without worrying about pulling fuses.
DRK98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #23

I have a 2015 Sahara 22k on the clock and another 15k towing. never been back to the dealer and love my jeep.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #24

Bumper/Base Plate question

P.S. Setting them up for towing is done in a few ways.
1. Keep the stock front bumper and, purchase a base plate that will accomodate various tow bars
2. Toss the front bumper in lewe of an Aftermarket one. Don't get locked onto any one particular one. There's many good, quality companies out there that make very nice bumpers. Then, all that's needed at that point is, a set of adapters to adapt your present tow bar, to the recovery tabs that are welded to the front of many of these aftermarket bumpers.
2. Purchase an aftermarket bumper and have your own style of adapters either welded or bolted to it, to accommodate your present tow bar.

We are thinking about getting a used Jeep Wrangler to use just as a toad and a fun weekend car. We are looking at 2000-2004 ones and some come with a bumper that looks ready to tow, but I am wondering what the approximate cost would be to modify one with the factory bumper. I read somewhere that if you want to go offroad, not to go with the baseplate option as it reduces your clearance.

You clearly know a lot about this, any advice you have would be appreciated.

We have a blue ox towbar, if that makes any difference.
RVLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #25

Will a Jeep register miles while being towed?
Wolfy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy58 View Post
Will a Jeep register miles while being towed?
My YJ and WK don't.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #27

Thanks for the information
Wolfy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Only if you order limited slip. Otherwise, on the JK's and JKU's, the computer DOES use the Brake Lock Differential to imitate a locker. Plus, the JK's use disc rear wheel brakes. The parking brake is a small drum in the center of the rotor.

Explained Here

Our JK/Sahara has the actual limited slip (with 3.73:1) so I turn ESP/BAS off when in the field. It does work pretty well. Sometimes I wish the YJ had something similar, or at least limited slip.

ETA - Ooops, I see others have jumped in to clarify the BLD info.
Plus, I wanted to add - event though the 3.8L seems to be a dog compared to the newer 3.6L, it is still a serviceable engine for that application. It has good low-end torque and adequate fuel efficiency. It actually feels "sporty" to me when I get to drive it - compared the 2.5L / 5 speed YJ I use as a DD.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote