Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #1

Jeep Wrangler reliability

We're exploring the possibility of trading my F-150 for a new Jeep Wrangler (4 door) for a daily driver and to tow behind our motor home , any one have any experience with these? Are they a good vehicle?
sallisawfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallisawfire View Post
We're exploring the possibility of trading my F-150 for a new Jeep Wrangler (4 door) for a daily driver and to tow behind our motor home , any one have any experience with these? Are they a good vehicle?
sallisawfire,
Well, you're going to get a whole slew of answers here. In short, we've used and towed 9 different Jeeps over a 35 year period. They've all been a ton of fun. We've pretty off road oriented so, mods have been made to all of them. The one we have now is a 2015 JKUR (JK Unlimited Rubicon) and is by far, the most refined Jeep yet. It's very comfortable, has a pretty darn good ride, considering it's still a JEEP.

It's got tons of power and, for the most part, gets "reasonable" gas mileage. As you've more than likely already found out, the Jeep JK is very close to the top pick for a toad behind a motor home. The Jeep TJ model is running a close second. They are a utilitarian vehicle that does all things moderately well. The ergonomics of the interior are laid out nicely as all gauges are seen with ease. The seats and upholstery are of great quality and, the drivers side seat also has a raise and lower lever for shorter/taller people.

I know many folks that own the JK model and are very, very well pleased with all facets of it. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with them. And oh by the way, the Jeep JK model is pretty much on the top of the list for holding value.
Scott

P.S. Setting them up for towing is done in a few ways.
1. Keep the stock front bumper and, purchase a base plate that will accomodate various tow bars
2. Toss the front bumper in lewe of an Aftermarket one. Don't get locked onto any one particular one. There's many good, quality companies out there that make very nice bumpers. Then, all that's needed at that point is, a set of adapters to adapt your present tow bar, to the recovery tabs that are welded to the front of many of these aftermarket bumpers.
2. Purchase an aftermarket bumper and have your own style of adapters either welded or bolted to it, to accommodate your present tow bar.

As for lighting, use the Hopkins:

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-56200...=Hopkins+56200

for very easy setting up of your lights for towing. As for brakes, there's a whole slew of them out there for the picking. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #3

I have an 2002, 2 door wrangler standard 5 speed with 90k miles and a 2013, 4 door Unlimited Automatic with 70k. Bought both used. The little two door is the one I tow behind my RV because it's lighter and a lot more fun (it's a ragtop). I bought it in 2008 and except for routine maintenance, the only money I've put into it was to replace a throw bearing at about 75,000 miles. The four door has been fine for the 6 months I've owned it. It's the vehicle we drive as a family car around home. I don't have it set up to tow. It's heavier and I'm not sure if you're supposed to tow an automatic. I did have to replace a brake caliper that malfunctioned, but other than that it's been worry free. Both seem like solid vehicles but beware; both are rough on mpg.
Moondriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #4

HI Sallisawfire; Like Fire Up mentioned, a lot of answers about Jeep Wranglers from owners. I have been towing jeeps since 1991. Jeep CJ5 behind by truck and camper. Had a 1997 Jeep wrangler TJ that I towed behind my 2001 Windsor, never knew it was there. Have two wrangles now, 2011 Rubicon Unlimited and a 2010 2 door Rubicon. I use the 2 door for trails in the mountains and tow the 4 door with the automatic behind our 2001 Windsor. As others have said, great tow vehicle. Does not take much time to get it hooked up and your ready to go. Don't know if your considering new or used. In the model years between 2007 and 2011 the Wrangler has the 3.8 V-6. In my opinion, very under powered. In 2012 Jeep went with the 3.6 V-6. Lots of get up and go. I am sure you have heard about us Jeep owners that most others don't understand us, it's a Jeep thing. Well, in my opinion, that's true because you have to get used to some different aspects about owning a Wrangler. Just pick up a copy of Consumer Reports and when you look at how they rate the Wrangler, you might think, why would I own one. It' a Jeep thing. We Jeep Wrangler owners love what it gives us for the price. The Wrangler will take us anywhere with not too much thought of where we point it to go. I hope you don't mind water! Jeep Wrangles love to leak water inside. I have the hard tops on both of mine and have the upgraded door seals and they still leak. The Wranglers are not as tight as an all steel top SUV. But I love mine. Had Jeeps since 1968. You get used to the little things that are problematic with them, at least I have. Plan to keep ours for quite a while. Like Fire Up said, they do hold their value. This is my long winded prospective for inquiring minds that want to know. Good luck in your decision.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
The new ones are just fine.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We've had two. The only thing I can remember about our '07, in 80,000 miles (before some idiot rear ended me at a stop light - doing 45 - 50) is a door switch (controls the dome light) that went out while still under warranty. We just traded in our '12 and it had a few more issues. Had two wheel speed sensors go out at different tmes (rear). Not long before we traded it in had to replace the rear pinion seal. We put 63,000 driving miles on the '12, not counting another 40 - 50k toad miles.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #7

I think the honest answer here is that modern pickup truck does just about everything better than a Jeep, except for removable top, tight trail work and entry/exit/climb over angles.

Agree with the above about leaks, although I have a leak fix guide for JK's that I'd be happy to email anyone, just PM me.

The 3.8 motor is a dog. The newer 3.6 Pentastar motor is plenty powerful. My 2014 is about to run out of factory warranty. I'm contemplating an extended one from FCA.

Auto or manual doesn't matter when towing as long as it has the manual transfer case. Last 8-9 model years they don't even have a steering lock so no need to leave a key inserted.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #8

Had a 2005 TJ Rubicon as a daily driver and towed behind the motorhome. Flat towing is a breeze, used the Readybrute Elite and D-Ring adapters to an aftermarket bumper.

Bought a JK Sahara last November, keeping the Readybrute, using a Currie baseplate so just needed to buy new clevis adapters and a replacement brake cable.

I loved the TJ, but the JK makes it feel like a tractor now. Best thing about either is getting to my holiday destination and taking the roof off, I know I'm on holiday then

Steve
Old 04-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #9

2013 JKU Sahara here with dual tops.

Rear axle seal went out at 30,000. Covered under warranty.

Rear brake pads needed replaced at about 25K. Not warrantied.

Dealer said Wranglers use rear brakes faster than most vehicles. Something to do with the traction control system and the way the DW drives. LOL. I believe the dealer.

Currently 47,000 miles driven and 18,000 towed.

Love it and would have nothing else.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I've been driving Wranglers since 1996 and I've never heard of the rear brakes wearing faster than the fronts. Wranglers do not use brake activated traction systems, they use true limited slips or lockers. Is it possible someone drove or towed it with the emergency brake slightly applied?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
We got the two door, thinking that it would pull easier because of the weight difference to a four door. I'm pretty sure now, after having pulled ours 7K miles over terrible roads, including ice and snow-that we need not have worried about it. As others have said, it's a breeze to hook up and take off. The only thing with the two door that would have us change is the interior room if you have more than two people. It gets pretty tight in the back if you have others or are carrying much in the back. They can sure be a lot of fun once you get unhooked and go exploring, and we really enjoy that. And if in a city, they fit into pretty small spaces and turn on a dime. We're glad we picked the jeep and would do so again.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I've been driving Wranglers since 1996 and I've never heard of the rear brakes wearing faster than the fronts. Wranglers do not use brake activated traction systems, they use true limited slips or lockers. Is it possible someone drove or towed it with the emergency brake slightly applied?
The newer Jeeps do have both the anti lock and anti skid systems (see my post about two rear speed sensors going bad). This is separate from whatever axle lock system the vehicle may or may not have.

Now that it's been mentioned, at the time of my last regular service on that Jeep the dealer did tell me the rear brake pads would need replacement by the next service interval.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #13

Jeep Wrangler reliability

Yes, my 12 JK needed rear pads at 65,000. But 35 bucks and 40 minutes is hardly a notable event, it's normal maintenance!
And here are the problems I've had with my JK: ziltch
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #14

Ours is an older TJ model, but I would say it's as or more reliable than anything we've ever owned. It's been towed over 150,000 miles and has another 56,000 miles on the odometer. It's had nothing more than normal maintenance.

You might want to take a new one for an extended drive before making a decision. I think you'll find depending on the model the suspension may be a little stiffer than your F150. We love ours, but it could get a little tiring as a daily driver. The suspension on ours is so stiff I believe I can feel the bump if I drive over a dime.