RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walmon View Post
Think this is what some posters have been referring to when they mention a relay to fix the brake and turn signal issue.

Roadmaster Tow Bar Braking Systems - RM-88400

• Keeps your towed car's brake signal from overriding the turn signal sent by your RV
  • Allows signal lights on towed car to flash in tandem with RV lights even when vehicle's brake pedal is depressed
etralier has them for 30 bucks, https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Bra.../RM-88400.html Seems to be a cheap piece of mind whether you use the Readybrute Elite with the surge braking, which I think is best anyway, or all the other braking methods.
Walmon,
Yes, you (anyone) can use a commercial unit like that or, for considerably less money, if one knows some basic 12V wiring, a $5 relay can be used for the same purpose and accomplish the same goal.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #30

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Jeep Wrangler Toad

So, I just went back to brake light issue. Corrected the problem.
I have a 12v power wire that goes through the umbilical chord to keep the battery in the toad charged. I put a relay in it, near the firewall, to break the power when the Rv is NOT plugged in. Used the incoming wire as the power source to energize the relay. When I plug the umbilical in, the relay energizes and the battery charges.
I also used the out coming power from that relay to energize a second relay.
The second relay breaks the brake switch wire. It is normally closed, so the brake lights in the toad work normally. When the umbilical chord is plugged in, the relay is energized and the toad brake lights are disconnected. The toad brakes light do not over ride the coach brake/turn lights.
This automatically lets the brake/blinker light work correctly whether driving or towing.
2 relays, 3í of wire and some connectors.
BTW, no more wire nuts, all connectors.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7970.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	539.1 KB
ID:	250078
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
I have a 12v power wire that goes through the umbilical chord to keep the battery in the toad charged. I put a relay in it, near the firewall, to break the power when the Rv is NOT plugged in. Used the incoming wire as the power source to energize the relay. When I plug the umbilical in, the relay energizes and the battery charges.
I also used the out coming power from that relay to energize a second relay.
The second relay breaks the brake switch wire. It is normally closed, so the brake lights in the toad work normally. When the umbilical chord is plugged in, the relay is energized and the toad brake lights are disconnected. The toad brakes light do not over ride the coach brake/turn lights.....
I am in the process of outfitting a Jeep TJ to use as a toad. I was trying to diagram your circuit, and I am having trouble.

When the first relay (powered from the umbilical charge line) energizes, it connects the charge line to the toad battery.
The outlet of this first relay also powers the second relay, which disables the toad brake light switch.
The problem I am having is that after the power from the umbilical charge line is tied to the toad battery, they are now one power source as far as the second relay is concerned. If you disconnect the umbilical charge line, the relays stay energized from the toad battery.

Do you have a charge controller or diode in the charge line to the toad battery after the relay to prevent the toad battery from keeping the relays energized?

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
I am in the process of outfitting a Jeep TJ to use as a toad. I was trying to diagram your circuit, and I am having trouble.

When the first relay (powered from the umbilical charge line) energizes, it connects the charge line to the toad battery.

The outlet of this first relay also powers the second relay, which disables the toad brake light switch.

The problem I am having is that after the power from the umbilical charge line is tied to the toad battery, they are now one power source as far as the second relay is concerned. If you disconnect the umbilical charge line, the relays stay energized from the toad battery.

Do you have a charge controller or diode in the charge line to the toad battery after the relay to prevent the toad battery from keeping the relays energized?

After I re-read my post, I realized I mistyped.

The 2nd relay is also energized by the umbilical cord. NOT the 1st relay.

Sorry I messed you up.

Here is a diagram of how it works:
Also, NO power is required for the brake lights to work normally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRAKERELAYS.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	250579  
Old 06-21-2019, 04:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
After I re-read my post, I realized I mistyped.

The 2nd relay is also energized by the umbilical cord. NOT the 1st relay.

Sorry I messed you up.

Here is a diagram of how it works:
Also, NO power is required for the brake lights to work normally.

That makes sense. Thanks!!

Old 06-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #34

Quote:
That makes sense. Thanks!!

Bullit,
You're dealing with a "TJ". You don't need a toad battery charge wire unless you just feel like installing one. The TJs do need the key in and turned to the "Unlock" position. But, that position, does NOT ENERGIZE any part of the Jeeps electrical system. Now, if you're running some form of auxiliary braking system in the TJ that utilizes the Jeeps battery for power, well then, that's a different story. By the way, in case you're not aware of it, there are numerous youtube videos that show you how to disengage that TJ steering lock so that you don't need the key in it AT ALL, when you're towing it. Your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Was charging due to the TJ brake light usage, but since I just disabled those, charging is really not needed.
Left it in anyway.
Yes, unlocked uses no power. My key will come out, even when it is running. So unlocked and key out is easy for me.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #36

I donít understand all these issues with the brake lights. Mopar sells a wiring harness that completely disconnects the Jeep brake and turn signals lights from the Jeep electric system and powers them from the mh. Aux brakes still push on the pedal and no interference with anything. Iíve had mine for 5 yrs now on my 14 jkur and never an issue. Itís a mopar part that is plug and play.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Bullit,
You're dealing with a "TJ". You don't need a toad battery charge wire unless you just feel like installing one. The TJs do need the key in and turned to the "Unlock" position. But, that position, does NOT ENERGIZE any part of the Jeeps electrical system. Now, if you're running some form of auxiliary braking system in the TJ that utilizes the Jeeps battery for power, well then, that's a different story. By the way, in case you're not aware of it, there are numerous youtube videos that show you how to disengage that TJ steering lock so that you don't need the key in it AT ALL, when you're towing it. Your choice.
Scott

Hello Scott,
I am using a charge line and an auxiliary braking system on my current toad, and I will also use it on the TJ.
The previous owner of the TJ may have disabled the steering lock. I have yet to experience a locked steering wheel.

Thanks, Ron
Old 06-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Hello Scott,
I am using a charge line and an auxiliary braking system on my current toad, and I will also use it on the TJ.
The previous owner of the TJ may have disabled the steering lock. I have yet to experience a locked steering wheel.

Thanks, Ron

Your TJ may not have a locking steering wheel but many do. On my Ď06 i have to turn the wheel well over half of a full turn in either direction before the wheel locks. When i set my wrangler up to be a toad i assumed it had no steering lock because i never felt it lock like all my other vehicles. After reading more about it and turning the wheel most of a full turn I realized it did lock.

Disabling the steering lock mechanism is super easy. Under a 10 minute job no problem.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
I donít understand all these issues with the brake lights. Mopar sells a wiring harness that completely disconnects the Jeep brake and turn signals lights from the Jeep electric system and powers them from the mh. Aux brakes still push on the pedal and no interference with anything. Iíve had mine for 5 yrs now on my 14 jkur and never an issue. Itís a mopar part that is plug and play.
I just installed the Mopar kit on my 2010 JK and the lights are not working at all. I think it is because the power wire on my MH is not working so there is no power to the Jeep. Any idea if there is a fuse for the 7 Pin plug wiring. Mine is a 2007 Workhorse/Fleetwood class A.
mtnxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nota4re View Post
The "trouble" comes in when the tow vehicle is commanding a turn signal on the Wrangler (blink, blink, blink..) but then the aux braking device pulls/pushes the brake pedal and the Jeep activates its brake lights. The Jeep's brake light - since it is using the same filament as the turn signal, will stop the blinking action and the light will be solid-bright.
What prevents that from occurring whilst driving the jeep (not being towed), and applying your foot to the brake while using the turn signal at the same time?

On our jeep with turn signal on and brake applied, the turn signal keeps with braking, with the other two brake lights on - so guessing the computer sorts it out?
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel21 View Post
What prevents that from occurring whilst driving the jeep (not being towed), and applying your foot to the brake while using the turn signal at the same time?

On our jeep with turn signal on and brake applied, the turn signal keeps with braking, with the other two brake lights on - so guessing the computer sorts it out?
Not the computer.
Part of the turn signal switch disconnects the signal from the stop switch.

Tags
toad