Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #1

Jeep Wrangler TOAD Setup

I realize there is already lots of info on the forum but its a bit daunting to filter through it all. Hopefully you all won't mind a new thread for my questions. Here we go....

I just purchased a 2013 2 door Jeep Wrangler. 61k miles. I have a 31' gas powered class A that will pull it.

Bumpers/baseplate - I'm not a fan of the Rock Hard bumper...I think it detracts from the look of the Jeep. I won't be doing any really hard off-roading so lower baseplate mounts will likely be OK. What do you use?

Braking - this is the area that I'd really like some help. I do not want to use a brake buddy of any type. I'm looking for the best integrated system that I can find. My priority is simple quick hookup with the least number of steps to transition between towing and driving. The inertial mechanical systems are interesting but awkward. BTW - how does (effective) braking even work without the engine running?

Brake and turn signals - looking for easiest, least time intensive, way of connecting. Is this adding a spliced in system with diode blocks?

Lastly (and I'm sure some think it should come first) is the actual tow bar - what is the easiest system to use to "hook up and go" when leaving a site?

Thanks!
Bob
Visionquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2021, 06:08 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
On our previous 2016 2 door Wrangler, I used the Currie Rockjock base plate/skid plate. It replaced the plastic air dam with a hefty steel plate with Blue Ox compatible tow bar mounts.
I used the Hopkins plug and play light harness. Very easy to plug into existing tail lights. It was harder to run the wires all the way up to the front of the Jeep.

I used the RVi3 brake which I moved into the new Jeep we are towing now, which is why I bought it.

We also towed the Wrangler with a 31' gas motorhome on the F53 chassis. We hardly knew it was back there. Can't say that with the new Jeep pig we are towing now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JK currie blue ox.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	331794  
Old 06-11-2021, 06:29 PM   #3

Look into the NSA Ready Brute Elite setup. Simple and effective tow / brake system, especially for a Jeep.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionquest2 View Post
I realize there is already lots of info on the forum but its a bit daunting to filter through it all. Hopefully you all won't mind a new thread for my questions. Here we go....

I just purchased a 2013 2 door Jeep Wrangler. 61k miles. I have a 31' gas powered class A that will pull it.

Bumpers/baseplate - I'm not a fan of the Rock Hard bumper...I think it detracts from the look of the Jeep. I won't be doing any really hard off-roading so lower baseplate mounts will likely be OK. What do you use?

Braking - this is the area that I'd really like some help. I do not want to use a brake buddy of any type. I'm looking for the best integrated system that I can find. My priority is simple quick hookup with the least number of steps to transition between towing and driving. The inertial mechanical systems are interesting but awkward. BTW - how does (effective) braking even work without the engine running?

Brake and turn signals - looking for easiest, least time intensive, way of connecting. Is this adding a spliced in system with diode blocks?

Lastly (and I'm sure some think it should come first) is the actual tow bar - what is the easiest system to use to "hook up and go" when leaving a site?

Thanks!
Bob
Well Bob,
You're probably the only humanoid on this earth that thinks a "Rock hard" (or any other version of an off road bumper) "detracts" from the looks of a Jeep. It's no big deal, it's your Jeep so, dress it up in the fashion you see fit.
Setting up a JK for towing is as easy as every Jeep prior. Get a tow bar of your choice and, whatever braking system that will work for you. Towing with a gas rig, I'd use the Ready Brake. I did a few mods to my Ready Brake when I used one. First, I didn't use that dorky pedal attachment that R/B sends along with all the rest of the parts. I was not about to have that braking system move that cable 10 zillion times when driving the Jeep when it didn't need to.
So, I devised a pin in the brake arm of the Jeep which, when we were ready to two, the wife would grab the cable from under the mat and attach that cable to the pin I'd installed on the Jeeps brake arm. DONE!
Second, I developed a stainless steel marine turn buckle for adjusting the link cable between the coach and the toad. Waaaaaaaaaaay easier than the ding-a-ling double looping/cable clamp cave man way that R/B wanted you to do. Finally, I tied into my Jeeps brake light switch to send me a signal to the dash on the coach, when ever the Jeeps brakes were being applied.

As for the brake lights on the JK, that's incredibly easy. Just pick up the Hopkins kit for it and it's all plug and play, DONE. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #5

Ready Brute Elite and a Smittybilt bumper for towing our Wrangler. Way better than a baseplate. The RBE has a built in braking system. Simple and effective and it cost way less than most of the alternatives.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Blue Ox baseplate for me because it is sufficiently recessed at the front. (and easy to install) After a TON of research, I decided to use the Ready Brute system. With an engineering education, I will always lean towards the most simple solutions that will also have greater reliability. For the tail lights, go to etrailer, they have a number of solutions that should work.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:35 AM   #7

These https://maximus-3.com/home/maximus-3-tow-loops#/ are a great option to a conventional base plate. Install is very easy and they are VERY robust. I have them on my JL and I use a ReadyBrake Elite for tow bar and aux brake. The aux brake system was also very easy to install.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #8

I also am very intrigued by the simplicity and proportionality of the Ready Brake system. I really don't like the idea of placing the "buddy" type systems every time we hook and unhook the Jeep. And the invisibreak type system is progressive rather than proportional which seems limiting.

What are the downsides of going with Ready Brake? Any pulsations? Any "drag" from the Jeep going down steep inclines like in mountain driving? What about stopping on curves?
Old 06-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:
I also am very intrigued by the simplicity and proportionality of the Ready Brake system. I really don't like the idea of placing the "buddy" type systems every time we hook and unhook the Jeep. And the invisibreak type system is progressive rather than proportional which seems limiting.

What are the downsides of going with Ready Brake? Any pulsations? Any "drag" from the Jeep going down steep inclines like in mountain driving? What about stopping on curves?

If there are drawbacks to the Ready Brake system very few people ever mention them. Ive been using mine for 4 years now. No way would I want something different. No way would I want a tablet based wireless system with a signal booster. No way would I want to shlep a small suitcase in and out every time I hook up/unhook the toad.

That said, there was one poster here in the last 6 months that had an issue with his RBE. I think it wasn’t applying the brakes enough because the mechanism was very stiff. He sent it back to NSA and they rebuilt it for him.

Also. I went from a Blue Ox Avail to the RBE. The BO was super easy to connect and get the arms extended and locked. There was enough slop in all the BO components that the arms locked easily. The RBE connects just as easy as the BO but it takes a little more effort to get the arms locked. The tolerances for the RBE are much tighter than the BO I had. I have my wife move the moho forward for a couple of feet While I work the steering wheel back and forth on the Jeep until I confirm both arms are locked. Normally takes just 3-4’ of moho moving forward and the arms are locked.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:02 PM   #10

Maximus 3 tow loopsClick image for larger version

Name:	20200719_135723.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	332781
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:12 PM   #11

What did you end up going with? I have a jlu that I replaced the bumper with an lod destroyer (I use it as my daily driver and didn't want baseplates showing, plus I like the look of the new bumper vs the stock plastic), ready brake, roadmaster all terrain bar and the cool tech inline wiring. Hookup and disconnect takes me 5 minutes at most and is very easy. I do have to crawl under the front because I hid the electrical connectors on the underneath of the bumper. I have a similar size vision and it tows with no issues (I do have several suspension mods that may help some). I did all the work myself (slowly) over a weekend.

The one nuisance with the ready brake I haven't seen discussed as much is that if I brake hard while in a turn, the braking of the jeep is not nearly as effective (which makes sense based on the design). I don't take turns fast and just ensure I do the majority of braking before the turn starts and accelerate through as necessary.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler01 View Post
What did you end up going with? I have a jlu that I replaced the bumper with an lod destroyer (I use it as my daily driver and didn't want baseplates showing, plus I like the look of the new bumper vs the stock plastic), ready brake, roadmaster all terrain bar and the cool tech inline wiring. Hookup and disconnect takes me 5 minutes at most and is very easy. I do have to crawl under the front because I hid the electrical connectors on the underneath of the bumper. I have a similar size vision and it tows with no issues (I do have several suspension mods that may help some). I did all the work myself (slowly) over a weekend.

The one nuisance with the ready brake I haven't seen discussed as much is that if I brake hard while in a turn, the braking of the jeep is not nearly as effective (which makes sense based on the design). I don't take turns fast and just ensure I do the majority of braking before the turn starts and accelerate through as necessary.

RockJock baseplate. Looks great on the vehicle and adds a metal skid surface.

Ready Brute Elite II tow bar. Absolutely love the simplicity of this braking system.

Mopar wiring harness (https://www.amazon.com/2007-2014-Wra.../dp/B009VGYSPW) - total simplicity though a bit of PITA to install. Took less than an hour actually. Just a bit of body acrobatics.

I want to know when the Jeep brake is activated. I didn't want to run another wire to the front of the RV. I went with a suggestion I saw in another thread on this forum. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Wired the transmitter into the wire coming from the brake pedal - 12v when pedal pressed. The white wire. The received is plugged into a 12v socket by my drivers seat. Red LED lights every time the brake pedal is engaged.

I suppose the lack of braking in turns could end up being a problem at some point but that's not usually when I'm slamming on the brakes!
Old 03-24-2022, 04:16 PM   #13

Just bought a 2022 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Feb 11th.
Put a Blue Ox Baseplate on it.
Added a charge line.
I use the a blue ox brake system, it’s pretty easy Peasy.
Already pulledit 1700 miles to South Carolina and back
Charleston was great too.
Mt Pleasant KOA is a nice central RV park for everything there.
The odometer only has 900 miles.

2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:33 PM   #14

Quote:
RockJock baseplate. Looks great on the vehicle and adds a metal skid surface.

Ready Brute Elite II tow bar. Absolutely love the simplicity of this braking system.

Mopar wiring harness (https://www.amazon.com/2007-2014-Wra.../dp/B009VGYSPW) - total simplicity though a bit of PITA to install. Took less than an hour actually. Just a bit of body acrobatics.

I want to know when the Jeep brake is activated. I didn't want to run another wire to the front of the RV. I went with a suggestion I saw in another thread on this forum. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Wired the transmitter into the wire coming from the brake pedal - 12v when pedal pressed. The white wire. The received is plugged into a 12v socket by my drivers seat. Red LED lights every time the brake pedal is engaged.

I suppose the lack of braking in turns could end up being a problem at some point but that's not usually when I'm slamming on the brakes!
I should have looked for the wireless transmitter for the brake...I ran the wire and while I had an easy entry to the dash, I was on my back for about 20/30 minutes routing it underneath and away from moving/hot components.

Tags
jeep, toad