Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #29

Hello Razor; Congrats on the new Jeep, you're going to have a ton of fun!

The Part number for the "MOPAR Jeep RV Wiring Harness" is 82211156AB

The Part number for the "MOPAR Jeep 7 Way Trailer Tow Harness is 82210214AB

Each is accompanied by fairly clear installation instructions and if I remember correctly there are detailed posts with step by step photos on iRV2 and on the Jeep Wrangler JK forums showing how to do the work. I just had the dealer do it due to time constraints and was pleasantly surprised when I got the labour bill. The flat rate time was a fraction of how long it would have taken me to do the work in both cases. Of course my time would have been longer just because I'm fussy. ;-)

If you haven't chosen a method of connecting your tow bar to your new Jeep have a look at the Rockhard RFP RH5005 winch capable front bumper with fog lights. Again due to time issues we did not get the much lighter aluminum version but it is worth looking into. We added the "bolted directly to the Jeep frame" Blue Ox Tow brackets part # SHO 5-1003-1 which are very secure, and allowed us to connect our safety cables to the "D" ring mounting points using shackles that we leave in place to attach tow strap in case we get stuck when we go 4 Wheeling. I built a bracket to install our Air Force One braking system under the hood and we have been very happy with the whole Jeep towed experience. Had lots of fun Jeeping/RVing and met some great friendly people. I hope it is the same for you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #30

For the people who are using the Mopar wiring harness, how do you deal with turn signals when using a braking system in the Jeep? If I hit the brakes on the motorhome and the auxiliary brakes are braking on the Jeep, the turn signal gets cancelled out on the Jeep. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep the turn signals going on the Jeep while braking?
MetalGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGator View Post
For the people who are using the Mopar wiring harness, how do you deal with turn signals when using a braking system in the Jeep? If I hit the brakes on the motorhome and the auxiliary brakes are braking on the Jeep, the turn signal gets cancelled out on the Jeep. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep the turn signals going on the Jeep while braking?
I've been trying to tell folks about this dilemma for years. Even most veteran RV drivers don't know it's happening. You can check your toads lights with your RV hooked to it while parked and or getting ready to pull out and, all is fine, 'cause everything works hunk-dory. But, it's when you're rolling down the road and hit the brakes is when things change drastically.

There's a few ways to handle this. One, if you own a diesel coach with air brakes, and you tow just about any year of Jeep Wrangler, especially a TJ or a JK, you purchase an M & G braking system for the Jeep. Their unit, installs in between the power brake unit and the master cylinder of the Jeep. It is air activated from the air brakes on the coach. When the brakes are applied in the coach, the unit applies the brakes in the jeep but, NOT WITH THE BRAKE PEDAL. And therefore, no activation of the Jeeps brake light switch, which would activate the Jeeps brake lights. Problem solved.

Second, the brake light signal from the Jeeps brake switch, can be interrupted temporarily with a small toggle switch. When towing, the switch is flipped to disengage the signal from the switch to the Jeeps tail lights. Problem solved.

Third, there are kits available from noted suppliers like Etrailer.com. They have relay systems that can be integrated into the Jeeps brake light wiring that, deactivate the jeeps brake lights when the Jeeps ignition is NOT ON and, the brake pedal is being depressed, like with the use of any number of braking systems that push, OR PULL on the jeeps brake pedal. But, when the Jeeps ignition IS ON, the relay cuts in and, allows for the jeeps brake pedal switch to activate the jeeps brake light. Problem solved.

A forth possible solution is one that I personally am not fond of at all and that is, to drill the tail light housings and install additional sockets and bulbs. The main reason I don't like them is because, you have two bulbs, both activating at the same time, VERY CLOSE TO EACH OTHER and, showing two different signals. When you're folliwng a toad with the sun at your back, and reflecting onto tail lights with that type of arrangement, it's all but impossible to actually see which operation is dominant, the brakes being applied or, turn signals or both.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #32

So i noticed this last summer when towing our JK. In testing I confirmed yes my signal light goes away. In the 2 years I have towed my Jeep I have only seen the "brake" light come on (via my remote in the MH) 3 or 4 times. All the times i was in heavy traffic and did not have signals on. After looking it over I decided to leave it alone. My MH has LED lights high on the back and the standard STT on the MH are seen very good from behind the Jeep. With that said if i was happen to be turning and the surge brake activated hopefully those behind me would see the ones on the MH.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisemory View Post
What year(s) Jeep Wrangler makes the best tow car?
Next year's model! It will be completely redesigned and couldn't happen faster. Consumer Reports says the Wrangler is one of the worse vehicles on the road!
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #34

That is why I don't do consumer report. I also like the extra bulbs in the tail light. I have been towing a tj for about 10,000 miles,great set up.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:27 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
Next year's model! It will be completely redesigned and couldn't happen faster. Consumer Reports says the Wrangler is one of the worse vehicles on the road!
My 2011 Sahara leaks and the carpet on the floor's get soaked
1-1/2 year time frame, 3-1/2 months total at the dealer, dozens of top & doors gasket's...........Reps from Chrysler came in several times to look at it and advise the dealer, they could not fix it
I told Chrysler over 40 years ago we put a Man on the Moon! and they can't build a jeep that doesn't leak! Problem is wide spread for a lot of years........and if yours does not have a water problem......you are one of the lucky ones
I love it for a TOAD........ out west was a blast in it!
Just looked on "wranglerfourm.com" and the new ones are still leaking!
Old 03-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
My 2011 Sahara leaks and the carpet on the floor's get soaked
1-1/2 year time frame, 3-1/2 months total at the dealer, dozens of top & doors gasket's...........Reps from Chrysler came in several times to look at it and advise the dealer, they could not fix it
I told Chrysler over 40 years ago we put a Man on the Moon! and they can't build a jeep that doesn't leak! Problem is wide spread for a lot of years........and if yours does not have a water problem......you are one of the lucky ones
I love it for a TOAD........ out west was a blast in it!
Just looked on "wranglerfourm.com" and the new ones are still leaking!
Yup. Our fix for the JK was to just drive it around in the garage!
Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #37

I guess consumer reports is correct!
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow