Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #1

I plan on ordering a new Jeep Wrangler to use as my toad. I also would like to order the UNIFIED BRAKE SYSTEM. This brake system I think would be great because it enables the toad to use it's power brakes by activating the vacuum assist on the toad. Here is my question: While reading the info on the Jeep wrangler it states it uses Hydraulic Brake Assist to stop in panic situation. Does that mean the Wrangler don't have vacuum assist? I E-mailed Unified Brake Co. to this same question , they should know. Well this is what they had to say: Thank you for your message about the Unified Tow Brake. I believe that the brakes on the Wrangler are the same as they've used for a few years. The
Hydraulic Brake Assist is, I think, a brake help for panic stops. I believe
the brakes are vacuum assist. Soooooooooo, The key words here is (I think). I am hoping that someone that reads this is familiar with both the Jeep Wrangler and the Unified Brake system.. That knows for sure... Thanks in advance John
VACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #2

I plan on ordering a new Jeep Wrangler to use as my toad. I also would like to order the UNIFIED BRAKE SYSTEM. This brake system I think would be great because it enables the toad to use it's power brakes by activating the vacuum assist on the toad. Here is my question: While reading the info on the Jeep wrangler it states it uses Hydraulic Brake Assist to stop in panic situation. Does that mean the Wrangler don't have vacuum assist? I E-mailed Unified Brake Co. to this same question , they should know. Well this is what they had to say: Thank you for your message about the Unified Tow Brake. I believe that the brakes on the Wrangler are the same as they've used for a few years. The
the brakes are vacuum assist. Soooooooooo, The key words here is (I think). I am hoping that someone that reads this is familiar with both the Jeep Wrangler and the Unified Brake system.. That knows for sure... Thanks in advance John
Old 03-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #3

Hi! We have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 door. We are currently using the US Gear System and love it. You should have no problem using it. Their setup also provides for a wire to go to the battery to keep it charged. You can tow the Jeep all day and night without having to worry about a dead battery. Our installer located the parts to make the brake pedal work, up under the passenger side dash. You really can't see it, and it's out of the way. Great system!! Let me know if you have any other questions. Paul
Old 03-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #4

Thanks Paul, I see you have a Mountian Aire with the rear bath. That is the one we would love to have, but it is about $100,000. out of my range. So we just placed an order for 2009 Dutch Star Mod 4317. It also has the rear bath. Did your installer have to run wire on your coach or is it pre-wired..Have a good one
Old 03-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome VACMAN to the Newmar forum and congrats on your order for DS 4317.
Enjoy the forum and I have some KARMA waiting for you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:35 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did your installer have to run wire on your coach or is it pre-wired.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! To the best of my knowledge they ran the harness up front. We mounted the small contol unit where the main gauges are. It fit nice in there, out of the way, easy to see, easy to reach. Super B has the same coach ('08) that you are thinking of ordering. I drove it a while back. It is a Great driving unit. If you need ideas when ordering give a shout. I think based on what Newmar said at the Tampa Super Show you will see much nicier interior appointments in the '09. Paul
Old 03-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #7

Newmar typically runs extra trailer wiring, however I would consider asking them to run 1" electrical conduit in the chassis frame rail from the front bumper to the back bumper and add breakout boxes to this conduit at each chassis-to-basement wall. This way you can run any kind of trailer wiring you desire with no problem.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #8

Do you have air brakes on your coach? If you do you may want to give M & G Engineering system a try. I have them on a 2008 Wrangler and the system works great. Just hook up to coach and go.
M & G

2007 Dutch Star
petefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #9

Did you install the M&G brake system yourself or at a dealer? Does this system add a vacuum to the tow so it will be apble use its full power brakes?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #10

I had a dealer install the system along with the Blue Ox baseplate and Cool Tech wiring harness. All the systems are well made and hassle free. The M & G system is air operated just like the coach. The braking is proportional. There is no vacuum involved. Go th their website. M & G Engineering.

2007 Dutch Star
Old 03-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #11

Check out this site. Very helpful. Wrangler wiring and Towing

2007 Dutch Star
Old 03-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VACMAN:
the brakes are vacuum assist. Soooooooooo, The key words here is (I think). I am hoping that someone that reads this is familiar with both the Jeep Wrangler and the Unified Brake system.. That knows for sure... Thanks in advance John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Wrangler has vacuum assisted power brakes like most modern cars. I just installed the SMI Stay-N-Play Duo in my 2008 Wrangler. It taps into the Jeep brake vacuum line to apply vacuum assisted braking. See Bill Arf's thread on the Wrangler for a write I did. There are pictures of where I taped into the vacuum line.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by petefl:
Do you have air brakes on your coach? If you do you may want to give M & G Engineering system a try. I have them on a 2008 Wrangler and the system works great. Just hook up to coach and go.
M & G </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peter,

Do you have any pictures of the M&G in your Jeep? I was considering that system when I went with the SMI. I couldn't get an exact answer out of M&G what mod's had to be done to the Jeep to fit the M&G unit on the master cylinder. Still curious.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #14

Hey Offthe wall!! Are you sure the '08 Wrangler has power assist brakes???

The BB says 60psi which I have been using 'BUT' with power assist only20psi!!!

Rick