Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2021, 10:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Exceeding a 5Klb tow rating for a coach has nothing to do with being "legal". That comes into play when you hit the 26001 lb GCVWR number and are supposed to have a class A license to be "legal".
I went from a 4600 lb JKU toad to a 5400 lb F-150 toad. The only thing that I am worried about is my transmission fluid temperature.
If your coach is only rated to tow 5,000lbs., it's most likely due to hitch and/or chassis limitations.
I don't know about you, but I'm not going to exceed the coach tow limit by 10%, and have a catastrophic failure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2021, 06:53 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_D View Post
If your coach is only rated to tow 5,000lbs., it's most likely due to hitch and/or chassis limitations.
I don't know about you, but I'm not going to exceed the coach tow limit by 10%, and have a catastrophic failure.
When I bought my coach it had a 5000-pound tow rating and the dealer said that was because of the hitch. They order a Class IV hitch and the tech checked the part numbers for the one on the coach and the same is the Class IV hitch that Newmar sent them. Called Newmar and they said the hitch was the same one they use on the Dutch Star with 10,000 towing and the limitation was the coach and not the hitch. We asked if we could exceed the 5000 pounds as long as we stayed within the GCWR and the engineering answered that has a "NO" you have a 5000-pound towing capacity.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:18 AM   #17

Just weighed my 2014 Wrangler Unlimited yesterday. full tank of gas - 4414 lbs. I weigh 180. Wrangler has a cloth top.
Tov61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:34 PM   #18

Thanks everyone. Not easy finding a jeep for a decent price around me. Might need to put my tahoe on a diet and just tow it. Crazy times
sealsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep, weight