Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2021, 07:30 AM   #1

JL Jeep Wrangler ?

Please excuse the long post but I am having a problem with my 19 Wrangler. After towing for 2 days when I disconnect it and try to move it the Jeep feels like the brake is on. It will only move in reverse or drive with more gas pedal than normal. This happened once before but went away in just a few minutes. This time after driving it for about 15 miles I suddenly felt something in the transmission release and it began driving normal. We always go through the same pre tow routine. I shift the transfer case to neutral and turn the wheels. My DW watches the jeep to make sure the wheels straighten and all wheels roll. While driving it this time at 55 the transmission was in 5th gear and the minuet you take the foot off the gas it felt like the brake was on. I have noticed a weird thing when setting it up for towing. When I get ready to kill the engine and depart the jeep I get a warning "to high a speed to shift to park". Have any of you that tow a Jeep had any experience like this or offer any advise. We are several miles from the nearest Jeep dealer and traveling. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2021, 07:41 AM   #2

It sounds like you have a manual transmission. Most owners tow in second or third but fifth should also be fine. I'm not sure the manual specifies. There is a recall out for the clutch pressure plate. This could be your problem but your warning light is specific to the automatic transmission. First rule with the JL is to pop the top off your fuse box and make sure all fuses are fully seated. Second rule is take it to the dealer for diagnosis. My thought is you have a couple of things going on. Pressure plate and some electronic glitch, possibly with your small battery starting to fail. At any rate, it needs to go to the dealer.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:34 AM   #3

Sorry for making myself clear. We have an automatic and tow it in Park after shifting the transfer case to neutral as per owners manual.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have not experienced any of those symptoms, or that warning when setting mine up to flat tow. Mine is a 2020 Gladiator, but I'm sure the transmission and running gear is the same. I flat towed all last summer without problems. Knock on wood.
Please keep us posted. Our first trip this year is fast approaching.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #5

After unhooking have you tried putting the transmission into the manual mode and shifting through the gears when driving? It sounds as if your dash display may be telling you it's in 5th while really being in 4th. At any rate you should not be getting the dash display you are. Again, I would be sure all your fuses are fully seated. Then I'd make a dealer appointment. I'm still guessing you are having an early warning of the failure of your small battery. But that's just a guess. The dealer needs to put it on the computer and check it out. I've had a couple of electronic issues with my JL but never a problem like yours after towing.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #6

Take it to dealer and have them check it as soon as you can. What braking system are you using in the Jeep?

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #7

This is only a guess, but the warning about "too high a speed to shift to park", may be the clue. Possibly, you actually never get it into park once that warning was flashed, and you are towing with the transmission in gear. I must say, I have never gotten that warning on my 2007, but maybe it isn't programmed into the computer. Sometimes there will be a small grinding when shifting into park, but it always goes in.

Clearly, this needs to be checked out. I would suspect a glitch in the electronics for the transmission as you are not moving when the warning appears, and unless the engine is revving, you should not get such a warning. The computer may erroneously be keeping the transmission out of park.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:27 AM   #8

Thanks for the comments. I am using M & G braking. I have towed this jeep for over 17,000 miles and have just started having this problem.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
I have not experienced any of those symptoms, or that warning when setting mine up to flat tow. Mine is a 2020 Gladiator, but I'm sure the transmission and running gear is the same. I flat towed all last summer without problems. Knock on wood.
Please keep us posted. Our first trip this year is fast approaching.
Hi Dave!

Searched The forum a couple days ago to see if towing a jeep behind my rig actually put miles on the jeep. I see you have a gladiator and I am looking at getting one myself. Also, we are looking at getting an automatic as opposed to a manual transmission. Which do you have? Can you answer that question… “Towing my gladiator will or will not put miles on the gladiator“

Thank you so much

Larry Thornton
mrtonothorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:40 AM   #10

Are you sure your in 2WD and not 4L
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:54 AM   #11

No miles are recorded when towing. Gladiator and Wrangler share the same 8 speed automatic transmission. Transfer case is not placed in either 2 or 4. It is intended to be placed in neutral. Towing any distance while in any configuration other than transmission in park and transfer case in neutral will result in internal damage.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:37 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtonothorns View Post
Hi Dave!

Searched The forum a couple days ago to see if towing a jeep behind my rig actually put miles on the jeep. I see you have a gladiator and I am looking at getting one myself. Also, we are looking at getting an automatic as opposed to a manual transmission. Which do you have? Can you answer that question… “Towing my gladiator will or will not put miles on the gladiator“

Thank you so much

Larry Thornton
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
No miles are recorded when towing. Gladiator and Wrangler share the same 8 speed automatic transmission. Transfer case is not placed in either 2 or 4. It is intended to be placed in neutral. Towing any distance while in any configuration other than transmission in park and transfer case in neutral will result in internal damage.
Hi Larry, Yes mine is an automatic. Everything MtCamper outlines above is correct.
This is my 3rd automatic Jeep I've flat towed. 2004, 2016, and now a 2020. All set up the same, and no miles recorded on any of them.
Just make sure, in the new keyless Jeeps, that your ignition is in the "OFF" position.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #13

Towing a Rubicon

My question is one of asking if anyone is towing a Rubicon — I need the front skid plate but also want to tow. Is there a solution besides replacing the front bumper with a bumper that is fitted for this — my older Unlimited had a bracket that fit beneath the bumper, but the skid plate on the Rubi may be a problem.
Hotfoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #14

Yep, Maximus 3 tow loops. Keep your original skid plate and bumper. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210201_231250.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	322982Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_135723.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	322983
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep