Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #1

JL Wrangler Bumper vs Skid Plate

So I’ve done some reading on here and see that a lot of folks prefer just to change the front bumper out rather than install a base plate.

We bought a Blue Ox towbar and priced the base plate at $500. If I could find a nice bumper that was set up to connect to our towbar that is within $150-$200, I would consider the bumper vice base plate.

Any ideas on anyone to go with? Are there any options that meet the $700ish mark that are worth it?

Do I need an adapter to connect the bumper for the towbar?

New to Toads, so I appreciate the insight and advice!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
So I’ve done some reading on here and see that a lot of folks prefer just to change the front bumper out rather than install a base plate.

We bought a Blue Ox towbar and priced the base plate at $500. If I could find a nice bumper that was set up to connect to our towbar that is within $150-$200, I would consider the bumper vice base plate.

Any ideas on anyone to go with? Are there any options that meet the $700ish mark that are worth it?

Do I need an adapter to connect the bumper for the towbar?

New to Toads, so I appreciate the insight and advice!
Hambone,
Well, first off, yep, it's a better idea to go with an aftermarket bumper, rather than a base plate although, some on here will differ. No biggie. As for what type or brand of bumper, do not, repeat, DO NOT get all caught up on one particular brand. Take an hour or two and do a bit of research because you'll find LOTS of brands and types that will work for your intentions here.

We're presently running a Smittybillt XRC MOD front bumper and a Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar. Yep, you'll need tow bar adapter brackets to couple your tow bar to the new bumper. Some, can be a bit on the pricey side and some, aren't too bad in price. The ones I needed are priced as high as $300 a set. But, I picked them up from Amazon for $213.00. I've been a welder and fabricator for decades but, trying to make something like I bought, was darn near impossible, without some serious expensive machinery.

So, clicking on the "Place your order" button, was a lot simpler and, they were there, the day after I ordered them. So, take some time, look around on many of the Jeep aftermarket parts sites and you'll find exactly what you need.
Scott

P.S. Below are pics of how our system works.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0228.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	243016   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	243017  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0245.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	561.2 KB
ID:	243018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0888.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	243019  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hambone,

Well, first off, yep, it's a better idea to go with an aftermarket bumper, rather than a base plate although, some on here will differ. No biggie. As for what type or brand of bumper, do not, repeat, DO NOT get all caught up on one particular brand. Take an hour or two and do a bit of research because you'll find LOTS of brands and types that will work for your intentions here.

We're presently running a Smittybillt XRC MOD front bumper and a Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar. Yep, you'll need tow bar adapter brackets to couple your tow bar to the new bumper. Some, can be a bit on the pricey side and some, aren't too bad in price. The ones I needed are priced as high as $300 a set. But, I picked them up from Amazon for $213.00. I've been a welder and fabricator for decades but, trying to make something like I bought, was darn near impossible, without some serious expensive machinery.

So, clicking on the "Place your order" button, was a lot simpler and, they were there, the day after I ordered them. So, take some time, look around on many of the Jeep aftermarket parts sites and you'll find exactly what you need.

Scott

P.S. Below are pics of how our system works.

Scott

Thanks so much for the response. So the adapters just connect to the tow bar in place of the one from the factory, correct? Those two small adapters were $213? That seems quite ridiculous.

Do any manufactures already have the correct fitting installed on the bumper?

Just out of curiosity, for you, what makes the bumper so much better than a base plate?

Once again, I greatly appreciate all the advice and insight!
Old 04-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #4

I too prefer an aftermarket bumper over a baseplate. I use the Smittybilt XRC bumper on my Wrangler too but there are lots of good bumpers out there that will work just fine.

With an aftermarket bumper you don't lose any front approach angle and you don't have to worry about damaging the baseplate if you do any kind of off roading. You also have one less connection between the Jeep and Towbar (depending on which baseplate you go with). With a bumper you can also go with D Handled hitch pins which make hook up and disconnect much easier.

I have a very similar set up to Scotts posted above.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #5

I wheel my Jeep, so I wanted a new bumper anyway. I went with LOD since they will weld on the tabs for whatever you use (I use blue ox) before sending it to you. No adapters needed. There is one more MFG that I know of that does it was well.
robburns76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #6

Tommy,
Tom answered some of the questions you asked me. Here's the deal. Some folks who purchase Jeeps, Wranglers in specific, intend on doing "some" off roading. Now, "some" means just about anything. It could be forest roads, mild trails, mountain roads etc. And, it doesn't mean to go out and torcher your new Jeep. It's just some fun exploration. Then, there are the ones who get more into it. Places like Moab UT and Ouray CO. Now those are some outstanding fun and exploratory places.

Then, there are some that will never, ever see dirt in their Jeeps. Their Jeeps are for pavement operation only. That's ok. Jeepin's not for everyone. So, with all that being said, the modifications to ones Jeep, vary by quite a bit. And, one of those mods is, installation of an aftermarket front bumper. There's a zillion of them on the market. Many, many of them come with what you saw in my previous pics. Those rather thick looking pieces of metal are called "recovery" tabs.

They are used for connection of a rope, tow strap, chain (not preferred) etc. so that when you or, your buddy gets stuck someplace and can't get out on yours or their own. They also can and are used for tow points, for a towbar, also like you see in the picture. I have been using those recovery tabs for towing for over 35 years on various Jeeps and bumpers and as of yet, none have disappeared from the back of the coach while towing.

You think $213 is a lot? Well, so do I. But, as stated, I've been making my own stuff for decades and, well, to make those, and have them turn out PRECISELY as nice and as form fitting as those, again, without the proper machinery, is IMPOSSIBLE. So, sometimes you have to bite the bullet

I wasn't proud of paying that much for sure. But, when you're talking about keeping EXACT control of a 4,300 lb. $43,000 Jeep, while towing it, I wasn't gonna skimp any. You pay ONE TIME and you're good forever.

Sometimes, the cost of setting up a vehicle for towing, ain't gonna be cheap. Sometimes, you get away with used and decent equipment, like we did with the tow bar. One of my tow bars, the Blue Ox Aladdin, came from ebay and was $350 with a ton of accessories. It worked outstanding for almost 10 years 'till I sold it with one of our Jeeps. The other, a Steel Blue Ox, was given to me because it was bent. I straightened it and, it's been in service now for going on 5 years and works flawlessly.

So, the point being, you can save in setting up vehicles for towing. It all depends on how patient and diligent one is. Of course, it helps to be a bit mechanical so one can do repairs and or maintenance on items to be used. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #7

Another option to look at is the Currie Enterprises plates. Note they have one for steel bumpers and another model for plastic.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/ce...ic-bumper-copy

https://www.currieenterprises.com/ce...t-steel-bumper
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
Another option to look at is the Currie Enterprises plates. Note they have one for steel bumpers and another model for plastic.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/ce...ic-bumper-copy

https://www.currieenterprises.com/ce...t-steel-bumper

Do you have this set up, by chance? This one seems similar to a tow bar, and seems would still impact approach angle?

I definitely like the price point, though. Tow bar and RVIBrake 3 haven’t been cheap...
Old 04-21-2019, 06:28 PM   #9

Mine is being shipped so it is yet to be installed. I selected it as two friends use them on their JK's for several years with good results. The attachment points are fixed so you would lose a little over a bumper system. I have a plastic bumper and liked how it attached. Bumper systems are nice but steel is heavy and aluminum is costly. If your planning on adding a winch then the bumper method would be the better choice. I have no plans for adding a winch and wanted to keep the weight down.

Here is a video on a JK install that will give you some idea.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Mine is being shipped so it is yet to be installed. I selected it as two friends use them on their JK's for several years with good results. The attachment points are fixed so you would lose a little over a bumper system. I have a plastic bumper and liked how it attached. Bumper systems are nice but steel is heavy and aluminum is costly. If your planning on adding a winch then the bumper method would be the better choice. I have no plans for adding a winch and wanted to keep the weight down.

Here is a video on a JK install that will give you some idea.

That looks like a good option. The socket for wiring can just be drilled, but I’m going to have to look at the bracket for my break away switch to see how I can mount that...
Old 04-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #11

I have a brake buddy so was planning on drilling a hole or using the cut out in the middle and bending a "L" bracket to mount it from the backside. My friends mounted theirs on the bottom of the plate and it has not been an issue but they do not off road and it is a little to exposed there for me. Jeep just came in Tuesday so we are gathering parts and breaking in at this point. You decide on how your going to do your tail lighting?
Old 04-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
I have a brake buddy so was planning on drilling a hole or using the cut out in the middle and bending a "L" bracket to mount it from the backside. My friends mounted theirs on the bottom of the plate and it has not been an issue but they do not off road and it is a little to exposed there for me. Jeep just came in Tuesday so we are gathering parts and breaking in at this point. You decide on how your going to do your tail lighting?

Hopkins is releasing their plug and play kit coming out June/July of this year. Simplest kit to use the tail lights out there.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #13

Glad to hear that. Since they changed the fixture in the JL there is no room for an extra bulb which has been my preferred method. Do not really want to take my new vehicle apart to install the costly Mopar kit, and likewise shy about cutting up the harness for the Cool tech.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Glad to hear that. Since they changed the fixture in the JL there is no room for an extra bulb which has been my preferred method. Do not really want to take my new vehicle apart to install the costly Mopar kit, and likewise shy about cutting up the harness for the Cool tech.

Hopkins kit plugs in behind each tail light and one run to the front of the vehicle. Super easy install; truly plug and play.