RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #1

Just made my first journey towing 4 down.

I bought a Jeep Wrangler to be able to tow 4 down since I was tired of towing a car hauler trailer.
I purchased and installed all of the gear on the Jeep. Tow bar, base plates, wiring harness and the brake system for the Jeep.
I made a test run towing the Jeep behind my F-150 truck. All went well except it seemed a little squirrely on some curves.

When I hooked to the MH, I didn't even know it was behind me except for looking at my rearview camera.
I made about 850 miles today and it worked out like a dream. Everything worked perfect and hookup and disconnect is a breeze.

It sure beats hooking up to a trailer, loading a car on a trailer and strapping down all 4 wheels, then doin it in reverse order and trying to find a place to dump the trailer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 09:20 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Glad your first 4 down trip went perfect. And it was a long one.

I have towed both ways and I agree with you that four down is far easier than hooking up vehicle on trailer.

And you don’t have to deal with the trailer when you stop.

Just be sure to follow your procedure perfectly and don’t get distracted when you are hooking up and preparing to tow.

I use a TPMS that covers my tow vehicle tires as well.

Good Luck.

Hal and Pam
2017 Entegra Cornerstone - B
2020 Ford Edge ST
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #3

Congrats on your new toad experience! I would only add if you haven't already found out that the safety cables, brake lines, etc. get a lot of road grime on them. I always have a set of workers gloves in my bag for connecting and disconnecting the toad to keep from getting that stuff all over the toad and RV.
Cheers!
Old 12-03-2020, 06:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
I bought a Jeep Wrangler to be able to tow 4 down since I was tired of towing a car hauler trailer.
I purchased and installed all of the gear on the Jeep. Tow bar, base plates, wiring harness and the brake system for the Jeep.
I made a test run towing the Jeep behind my F-150 truck. All went well except it seemed a little squirrely on some curves.

When I hooked to the MH, I didn't even know it was behind me except for looking at my rearview camera.
I made about 850 miles today and it worked out like a dream. Everything worked perfect and hookup and disconnect is a breeze.

It sure beats hooking up to a trailer, loading a car on a trailer and strapping down all 4 wheels, then doin it in reverse order and trying to find a place to dump the trailer.
Glad its working for you---- 850 mile day--- that's quite a drive. I used to do those when I was working, but now take my time and limit to 400 or less.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Great report. May is suggest a check list laminated and left in the Jeep?

Be sure to follow the manual on starting if that is needed during the trip.

Towing four down is a pleasure. No backing up of course and don't take the corners too sharp. One danger is going through a deep drop while making a turn out of a parking lot. Don't want to kiss the jeep unless it has just gotten out of a frame level mud hole.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Typo on my part. The trip was about 850 miles combined in two trips. 425 miles to destination, stay several days and 425 miles back to the house.

The only thing that I don't like about my setup is the wiring harness for the Jeep doesn't illuminate the side marker lights of the Jeep.
I ordered and received the diodes to wire the marker lights. An easy enough job to accomplish.

On the backing up part. I will miss the trailer for that. It was easy to back up. I'll have to make sure that I can pull through on stops for fuel, etc. But if I do run into a scenario that would require having to back up. I timed myself hooking up the Jeep and it takes about one minute.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
Typo on my part. The trip was about 850 miles combined in two trips. 425 miles to destination, stay several days and 425 miles back to the house.

The only thing that I don't like about my setup is the wiring harness for the Jeep doesn't illuminate the side marker lights of the Jeep.
I ordered and received the diodes to wire the marker lights. An easy enough job to accomplish.

On the backing up part. I will miss the trailer for that. It was easy to back up. I'll have to make sure that I can pull through on stops for fuel, etc. But if I do run into a scenario that would require having to back up. I timed myself hooking up the Jeep and it takes about one minute.
Well,
Glad it's working out for ya. We've been towing Jeeps now for oh, maybe 25-30 years or so. And, I've set all of ours ( 9 Jeeps to be specific) to be flat towed and, when I did the wiring, I'd set it up so the side marker and front running lights (not headlights) would also work. That way, I could monitor how close I was coming to a corner of the Jeep if and when I was making a tighter turn at night.

As for backing up, yeah, pre-planning is the name of the game here. We've been caught a time or two in a predicament where I could not back up and was sort-a pinned in. And yes, we too have the disconnect process down to about 45 seconds or so.

Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and, together with us hauling our motorcycle on the back of the coach AND towing our '15 Jeep JKUR, we're hovering around 55'-60' long. So, planning for fuel, sometimes takes a *drive by* at a slow rate, to gain knowledge of the layout of a fuel station, so I could go around the block and then turn in. And I'm really glad we've done that a few times rather than *commit* before we knew a situation/area.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:46 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Just made my first journey towing 4 down.

Good to hear it is working out well for you. We are on our 3rd year of 4-down towing our Wrangler.
42 pusher with a 2-door on the tow bar. Yea, we are long.
As far as gas stops, use Google Maps to look at the lot you are planning to go in to. You can plan the in and out before you get there. Works good for food stops, too.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would never use a tow dolly! Waaay too much trouble!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would never use a tow dolly! Waaay too much trouble!
Me either, I was using a car trailer. The car that I was hauling wouldn't have been able to be towed on a dolly anyway. It was rear wheel drive.
I traded the car for the Wrangler. The Wrangler is now the new daily driver for the wife.
She's happy, I'm happy, so it was a big win all the way around.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #11
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Only once have I been caught in a spot that I couldn't get out. Had the son with me and had him get in the toad and hold the wheel and backed up far enough to get out of a jamb.

Last trip I had the 15 year grandson do it so I wasn't hogging the parking lot. Told him where I wanted him to aim for and had phone contact. He was rather proud of his job.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:55 PM   #12

Yep, great choice on going with the Jeep and doing the install. No Regrets!
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Glad to hear your first trip was a success. Flat towing is soooooo much more convenient than a trailer.

We've done both over the past 25+ years now. We used to haul our Jeeps in our 26' enclosed race trailer so we could also bring our Harley along with us. However, we found we weren't riding the bike as much as we thought as we enjoy finding off road trails so much and now just flat tow. We found that even when stopping for an overnighter we'll disconnect the Jeep to go see the area or grab some dinner whereas with the trailer we would plan on eating in the coach when traveling with the trailer until we hit our final destination.

We sold our enclosed trailer about 4 years ago and now just flat tow our JKUR. Even on 37" tires it flat tows like a dream.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:24 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I travel alone with two big dogs. A MH would be easier than the Ram and TT. But the no backing thing gets me. I have a great JKUR that just sits at home cuz I got no way to get it anywhere. Plus finding a gas MH that can tow a 5K+ wrangler well is not easy. So sell the JKUR, sell the perfect Ram 2500 4x4 diesel, sell the trailer. Get a MH and something lighter to tow. I get 12MPG now and a MH towing would not get 9. I can go 70 up any grade now and a MH towing would be closer to 50. The MH thing just doesn't work for me. Wis it did.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, tow, towing