Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #1

Keeping toad in a towed trailer

We're presently fulltiming in a 34' FW. We had our minds set with trading up to 2015 TH but now I'm starting to rethink my approach.

If we went with a 43' MH instead, and put a car in an enclosed trailer instead of towing it, that would give us the "garage" space that a TH has with but we would go with the luxury of a MH.

My question is to those who are towing their toad and stuff in an unclosed trailer, what is the approach you take with CGs? Do they charge you for that extra trailer? Do you just try to find CGs with 100' pull-thru spots? What sized trailer are you pulling and is there extra room in it for carry other stuff (tables, chairs, all the usual CG stuff we all bring along).

Thx
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
MOST CG's won't charge you for a 'second vehicle' or trailer...

we are going through the same research project....

TH is out for us... interiors are aimed at a different target audience than us
too 'utilitarian' IMHO.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptgregger View Post
We're presently fulltiming in a 34' FW. We had our minds set with trading up to 2015 TH but now I'm starting to rethink my approach.

If we went with a 43' MH instead, and put a car in an enclosed trailer instead of towing it, that would give us the "garage" space that a TH has with but we would go with the luxury of a MH.

My question is to those who are towing their toad and stuff in an unclosed trailer, what is the approach you take with CGs? Do they charge you for that extra trailer? Do you just try to find CGs with 100' pull-thru spots? What sized trailer are you pulling and is there extra room in it for carry other stuff (tables, chairs, all the usual CG stuff we all bring along).

Thx
I love the enclosed trailer approach mainly due to the ability to take any vehicle I desire, 2 or 4 wheel or combination of both. I also like the security, cleanliness and flexibility.

I have not in 4 years of pulling a 24' enclosed trailer ever paid for parking the trailer, and only a handful of times has it necessitated to unhook. I have plenty of room to take other items in my trailer, but you still must be cognizant of weight in the trailer and the coach.

I always contact the Campground and tell them I am 70'+ and do you have a pull through to accommodate me or if not do you have a place for me to drop the trailer. A little planning you will not have too much of an issue.

My biggest issue is ingress and egress from parking lots like Shopping Centers, Wal Marts and restaurants when I want to stop while traveling, but not enough for me to decide not to use the trailer versus the tow dolly or 4 wheel down method I have used over the past 13 years.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We actually stayed in an RV park in Tucson a couple of years ago that prohibited trailers - and they happened to have a storage lot across the street where you could park your trailer for $25 a night extra! We were with a large group of motorhomes (Think of a nationwide organization's annual rally) - and one guy had a Harley in an enclosed trailer. He had to unload his Harley out in the street, pull his trailer over to the storage lot and drop it off, then take his motorhome into the park and set it up on his assigned site, then go back and retrieve his Harley. They had no problem with him riding the Harley through the park - they just didn't want trailers in the park!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:01 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When it comes to an enclosed trailer campgrounds run the gauntlet
Some: (Where I am now for example) have BIG pull through sites where you can leave the trailer hooked to the motor home and use it as a garage.

Some have special "Trailer Lots"

Some charge you, Some do not.

All you can do is ask when you call them.

Most campgrounds will have SOME way of taking care of your trailer.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We have been fulltime for 4 years now and we are 75' long with our 28' enclosed trailer (garage for the Jeep, campfire chairs, Primo Ceramic Grill, tools and anything we need). We have only run into one campground in Florida that wanted me to unhook the trailer. I told them I do not do that and that I will find the next one that will. I use Google maps to look at the area before I go there. I never have problems getting in anywhere to park like Wal-Mart's. They always have truck delivery drives. Just look ahead. Some smaller fuel stops are hard to do!
I have been pulling enclosed trailers all me life so I will never pull 4 down. I like to have the garage with me. The Jeep is never towed in nasty weather it is in the garage. Staying clean.
Also I had one time at a fuel stop off I-10 in Florida that had a field that they called a campground that was good just for overnight owned by some Indian people that charged me $5.00 extra for the trailer. $25.00 instead of $20.00 for 50 amp. I was not going to complain. We needed the AC that night.

All and All You will never see us out here with out the trailer.
Gravy1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I love the enclosed trailer approach mainly due to the ability to take any vehicle I desire, 2 or 4 wheel or combination of both. I also like the security, cleanliness and flexibility.

I have not in 4 years of pulling a 24' enclosed trailer ever paid for parking the trailer, and only a handful of times has it necessitated to unhook. I have plenty of room to take other items in my trailer, but you still must be cognizant of weight in the trailer and the coach.

I always contact the Campground and tell them I am 70'+ and do you have a pull through to accommodate me or if not do you have a place for me to drop the trailer. A little planning you will not have too much of an issue.

My biggest issue is ingress and egress from parking lots like Shopping Centers, Wal Marts and restaurants when I want to stop while traveling, but not enough for me to decide not to use the trailer versus the tow dolly or 4 wheel down method I have used over the past 13 years.
This has been my experience as well
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Before this years trip to Alaska I bought a 24 foot enclosed car hauler. I put a Honda CRV, ATV and other "good can't live without stuff" in the trailer. After that 6500 mile trip I sold the trailer for about what I paid for it. I did have to unhook at a couple of campgrounds (and Elks Lodges) but that's not much different from unhooking a tow car. My problem or concern was some fuel stops were pretty tight. I generally do not use a truck stop because this RV won't take fuel fast and if at a truck stop I have to stand there and slowly feed the fuel. Even though it was a car hauler the inside was a tad tight and my wife refused to drive the CRV into the trailer. For me it just didn't work out as I thought it would.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I just bought a open car hualer trailer. Wish I could afford the enclosed trailer. I am on the same thought as most of you. I do not want to be concerned on getting a vehicle that can be setup to toe 4 down & I want the option of being able to pull any car with no wear on the car. I think I can work around the cg's that don't allow or charge astronomical prices for trailer storage as you all seem to do. Just a little preplanning on our part.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #10

I really think you would have less work and more versatility if you would just go with something that can be towed four wheels down. Honda CRV's and Jeeps seem to be the most popular ones that I see. I've been towing a 2007 Jeep Liberty since 2008 - first with a Class C and now since Feb. 2014 with a Class A. I do see some enclosed trailers, but the total length looks like it creats to many potential problems parking and refueling. Dave

Tags
toad, tow