Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer
It could have been the transmission overheating. Just being a manual tranny doesn't guarantee it is towable, especially for front drives. They may still rely on plumped or splashing fluid to keep the internal lubricated and cool.

Related to that, I had a Ford front drive stickshift that overheated and burned out due to hydraulic fluid loss. I didn't even know it had hydraulic fluid in it! Turned out a slow leak caused enough fluid loss that it was overheating as I drove it and it finally gave out.
Gary might be onto something here. Does KIA approve the SOUL for flat towing? In any case the most important thing is everyone is safe, the towed can be replaced!!

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #16

bearing getting hot i am sure / transmission overheating.

most newer cars the fans are hot /12v at all times as most car fans stay on after car is off to cool it down

gray is right too not all manual tranny are towable and can still be towed for some time befor some thing like this could give out

but when it comes down to it i would more looking in to the lighting system

happy you saved what you could some are to slow and cant get it off the RV
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post

Gary might be onto something here. Does KIA approve the SOUL for flat towing? In any case the most important thing is everyone is safe, the towed can be replaced!!

Mike
Yes the 2011 standard trannie was towable and we had towed it over 23,000 mikes without any issue.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
bearing getting hot i am sure / transmission overheating.

most newer cars the fans are hot /12v at all times as most car fans stay on after car is off to cool it down
I realize this thread has some age on it but I have been doing some research on Souls as a possible toad.

The previous post clicked with me with the thought that the fan can stay on with the key off, it can probably come back on. I don't know how many of these factors were present if any but add, hot day, hilly terrain, DP MH heat source, fan comes on and runs, and runs, no cool air available and overheats.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I realize this thread has some age on it but I have been doing some research on Souls as a possible toad. The previous post clicked with me with the thought that the fan can stay on with the key off, it can probably come back on. I don't know how many of these factors were present if any but add, hot day, hilly terrain, DP MH heat source, fan comes on and runs, and runs, no cool air available and overheats.
That's funny I was just reading your post about a new toad and saw you listed KIa. I was going to respond but didn't.

It's still a couple mystery as to why the KIA caught fire. It happened just before noon, not a hot day, had done a little climbing going from Raton, NM to Trinadad, CO but actually much more down hill. We had previously towed it over 23,000 miles in much hotter weather. Tranny in neutral, park brake off, key off but steering column unlocked so key was still in ignition but off. We were running our normal 65mph although we did get up to 75 for a short stretch coming down the long hill before Trinadad, but that was 75 miles or so before the fire and we had stopped in Trinadad for about a 10 minute break. So, we will probably never know. I still suspect a short in the cooling assembly though because searching Google does bring up some evidence of spontaneous combustion of KIA products.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #20

So glad to hear all were safe and no injuries. WOW, we are towing 2012 soul as well. Manual trans and also using a brake system. We called KIA prior to purchasing and was given the thumbs up to tow all 4 down. Camping World also verified to tow.

You mentioned always towing with a full tank just curious why this is the safest way? We are new to rv world and learning.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
That's funny I was just reading your post about a new toad and saw you listed KIa. I was going to respond but didn't.
Great minds on the same wave length, need to start wearing my tin-foil hat again.

Curious if you liked the Soul enough to get another as a replacement.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #22

The big thing to remember is that no one was hurt, they make new cars everyday, I bet there is a fault in the car and kia will have a recall, they are a good seller for kia. Maybe there was still hamsters in the back seat having a party! (sorry I just had to say that)

take care
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIJ6165 View Post
You mentioned always towing with a full tank just curious why this is the safest way? We are new to rv world and learning.
A full tank of gas has less space to create fumes. An empty tank can go up in a spark. Gasoline liquid is not the issue, it's the vapor that causes the heat.

TerryO you had a unusual event. I doubt if bearings caused the ignition source. Could have been wiring, brakes (you did say downhill, and speed were prior to the event) I wouldn't over think it, just continue to enjoy RVing, perhaps buy a bigger fire extinguisher to keep in MH.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIJ6165 View Post
So glad to hear all were safe and no injuries. WOW, we are towing 2012 soul as well. Manual trans and also using a brake system. We called KIA prior to purchasing and was given the thumbs up to tow all 4 down. Camping World also verified to tow.

Indeed a full gas tank is much safer than 1/2 tank for example. Less fumes. But always leave some room for expansion when filling a tank. Just a bit of air in the neck of the tank is usually enough.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #25

I agree with the comment "Not all stick shifts can be flat towed". Going back 20+ years. I found this out when I tried towing a British Ford Cortina from Tidewater VA to Seattle behind our Mercury wagon (429). The alternator had died a couple of days before we left, an British parts were't readily available locally.

Approaching Billings MT, the Merc suddenly started to lose speed. When I looked in the mirror, the back tires on the Ford were smoking. We pulled over and checked, to find the transmission was locked up solid. We rented a flat-bed trailer, dragged the Cortina on it and completed the trip.

About $400 for a wrecking yard gearbox, and it was fine. Apparently. the internal lube for the gearbox is driven off the input shaft of that transmission. It may be in newer Fords than that '68. Don't "ASSume".
Old 10-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've wondered about having a battery disconnect switch when Flat towing to eliminate any electrical risks apart from the tail lights coming from (in my case) the Roadmaster wiring (with diodes).

The catch is some newer cars use the battery to keep computer settings. I don't care about the radio memory.

Hmm...
Old 10-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #27

Curious to hear what the fire people had to say?
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
Curious to hear what the fire people had to say?
Shoot, it took the fire dept over 30 minutes to find us even with the mile marker and exit and by that time it was just a mop up event which was fine by me. Once we got all our stuff out that we could it became the insurance companies problem. When the State Trooper asked me if it was my car I responded, tongue in cheek, not anymore now it belongs to my insurance company.

We really liked the Soul for towing and driving as a get around car but we went with a 2013 Ford Edge as a replacement.

Many car ECM's now don't like having the power cut from them with a battery disconnect.