Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 10:14 PM   #1

Kia Soul - Flat Tow VOIDS Warranty

So, I was getting pretty excited about a 2015 Kia Soul for flat tow and daily driver. Met 85% of my needs and could not be beaten for the price. However, I asked the dealer over and over about the warranty and flat towing. They dodged the question, but finally, in writing, told me that if you flat tow, the warranty is voided! So much for the great warranty, put on a tow plate and your warranty is gone.

Back to the drawing board....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #2

Carolina Campers
Kia Soul - Flat Tow VOIDS Warranty

Did you listen to the dealer or did you read this in the owners manual? I would not believe the dealer. Read the manual. After reading the owners manual, call Fiat corporate, don't simply rely on the dealer. Most don't know, only guess... I have had the dealer say that they checked with the service manager and was told that the car I was looking at could not be flat towed, then I read the owners manual and it clearly stated that the car must be flat towed and could not be towed on a dolly.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, most manufacturers will do that, Honda tried that with our '05 but we had it in writing on Honda letterhead that it could be towed four down. They also paid for the towing gear we had installed and let the warranty stand as written. We bought a KK-460 with their money and towed a few years on a dolly. Then found others towing four down with no trouble so went back to four down.
If the vehicle is front wheel drive only then you can get a dolly and tow it with no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would read the owner's manual, see what it says. Many times dealerships are lazy and do not want to look, so the easiest thing is to say no, it can't be done. If you search this forum you will see many cases of the dealer said no, the owners manual said yes, and a call to the consumer 800 number verifies what the owners manual has in it.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And the owners manuals can also be wrong! Best thing to do is CALL the manufacturers hot line and ask, then ask for it in writing, that's what saved us on our Ody and cost Honda $2,200!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:59 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
According to the FMCA 2105 towing guide the Kia Soul manual trans can be flat towed.

However I agree with the previous posters. Either confirm it by reading it in the manual, or get it in writing from the manufacturer....not the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kia Soul.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	103708  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:05 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
According to the FMCA 2105 towing guide the Kia Soul manual trans can be flat towed.

However I agree with the previous posters. Either confirm it by reading it in the manual, or get it in writing from the manufacturer....not the dealer.
And as I posted previously, the manuals can be wrong. That happened with the '05 Honda Pilot manuals.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:22 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Here it is from KIA. The manual transmission Soul CAN be towed four down.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kia towing 2015 TSB.pdf (642.9 KB, 735 views)
Old 08-18-2015, 12:32 AM   #9

Thanks guys. I know it can be towed 4-down and the manual says that as well. They said, in writing, that adding a baseplate to the car for 4-down towing will void the warranty. What more can I do? This is the dealership where I would be going for service, only place near by....
Old 08-18-2015, 01:43 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Thanks guys. I know it can be towed 4-down and the manual says that as well. They said, in writing, that adding a baseplate to the car for 4-down towing will void the warranty. What more can I do? This is the dealership where I would be going for service, only place near by....

Call Kia corp as suggested to affirm the TSB. Show the dealer the TSB. Then demand they substantiate their written position in the face of contradictory data from the vehicle manufacturer.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:49 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is the Kia Soul you are mentioning here a manual or automatic transmission? I haven't read where you mention that. That may make the difference in being able to tow it 4 down or not.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Doc your dealer is wrong, Kia in Korea issued the TSB and any dealer would have to honor the TSB, the Kia Soul is approved for flat tow on the manual trans 6 speed 2015 I have a copy for the 2014 and 2015 and have been towing A 2015. The owners book is not that clear but the TSB is take a copy to your dealer and ask him to get off his a** and check it out.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post

John Johnson is the guy that contacts all auto mfg to get the ok on what's towable, when I talked to John (FMCA) late 2014 he was waiting on a update TSB from Kia in Korea . This is a past from him.

I carry a copy of the TSB in the pocket of our Kia for the misinformed Dealers and Service Managers.

Hi Walt,

I finally received an updated Technical Service Bulletin from Kia regarding towability of its 2015 vehicles. It is attached. It states in part: Any Kia 2WD vehicle equipped with a manual transaxle may be towed with all four wheels on the ground behind another vehicle, such as a Recreational Vehicle (RV), as long as certain requirements (which are spelled out in the bulletin) are met.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

John Johnston
Associate Editor, Family Motor Coaching
Family Motor Coach Association
8291 Clough Pike
Cincinnati, OH 45244
(513) 388-5209
FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos. | Family Motor Coaching magazine, for motorhome owners

I don't know how much plainer it could be that the Soul standard trans is flat towable.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:27 AM   #14

That dealer is an idiot, find a new one; or remind him that what he just stated in writing is a violation of the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Quote:
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow