Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Cheapest way is with a dolly.
Especially if you change toweds often or tow a leased vehicle.

We have our '05 Odyssey set up to tow four down, but have towed it mostly on a dolly since Honda changed the Ody from allowed to be towed four down to not allowed after we bought it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Especially if you change toweds often or tow a leased vehicle.

We have our '05 Odyssey set up to tow four down, but have towed it mostly on a dolly since Honda changed the Ody from allowed to be towed four down to not allowed after we bought it.
Again, never towed a car, (except the son's Jeep for a 100 miles once), but it seems very apparent to me if you want to tow 4 down, you choose a vehicle that will do that and plan on using it for many years to off-set the extra cost in doing so. I guess if cost is never a consideration over some convienience, then it just doesn't matter.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I really like Scarab0088's idea of renting a U-Haul dolly to see if you like it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I really like Scarab0088's idea of renting a U-Haul dolly to see if you like it.
Thanks for the "props." It took me 4 rentals before I decided. Guess I am a little too cautious sometimes, but I was very sure when I decided.

Safe travels to all.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Again, never towed a car, (except the son's Jeep for a 100 miles once), but it seems very apparent to me if you want to tow 4 down, you choose a vehicle that will do that and plan on using it for many years to off-set the extra cost in doing so. I guess if cost is never a consideration over some convienience, then it just doesn't matter.
That's why we bought the '05 Odyssey in Dec '04. Honda wrote us a letter saying the '05 Ody WAS towable four down. (I can post it if you're interested.) In late 2006 or early 2007 Honda changed it so they ended up paying us about $2,200 to compensate us for the four down towing equip. Could have gone for a buy back too but really wanted the Ody for it's cargo capacity.
So, we did buy one that was towable four down at the time we bought it.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00DAME View Post
What the least costliest way to tow a vehicle , tow dolly , tow bar ,etc. etc
The most ecomomical option is: DON'T tow!!

Nothwithstanding that on occasion, we have carried a light-weight motorcycle on the back of our rig, we have rarely visited anywhere that compromised the use of our 33' motorhome.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The U-Haul dollies I've used are very heavy and have surge brakes. They're usually built by Demco who also makes the KK-460 we have. They don't fold and, as I said, very heavy so not a really good test but would give you some idea of how they work.
Towed my step daughters car on one behind a U-Haul truck from Duluth MN to WA some years ago. Five very long days and not cheap!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The U-Haul dollies I've used are very heavy and have surge brakes. They're usually built by Demco who also makes the KK-460 we have. They don't fold and, as I said, very heavy so not a really good test but would give you some idea of how they work.
Towed my step daughters car on one behind a U-Haul truck from Duluth MN to WA some years ago. Five very long days and not cheap!
I think it would give him a good idea of how loading the car and securing the vehicle tires would work.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #23

Quote:
I read through Scarab0088's setup. Unless I missed it he didn't mention brake lights. If a vehicle on that dolly sticks out more and about 3 ft, I believe, you need additional lights on the tow vehicle. Many RVers with tow dollies use the portable lights which are fine.

My 4 down set up installed myself, including Patriot braking, Blue Ox car gard, tow bar, light kit, base plate etc. complete was about $2250.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the ReadyBrute Elite towbars by NSA RV Products, which has the built-in braking system for the toad. I think I spent less than $2000 for a complete setup, including Roadmaster baseplate.

I personally would NEVER consider using a tow dolly!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
I read through Scarab0088's setup. Unless I missed it he didn't mention brake lights. If a vehicle on that dolly sticks out more and about 3 ft, I believe, you need additional lights on the tow vehicle. Many RVers with tow dollies use the portable lights which are fine.

My 4 down set up installed myself, including Patriot braking, Blue Ox car gard, tow bar, light kit, base plate etc. complete was about $2250.
Local laws vary (of course), but I have a lighted dolly - I have never used add'l lighting...not on my dolly and not on dolly's rented from U-Haul.

Extra lights are not a bad idea, but not required where my vehicles are licensed.

If you do add those magnetic lights that sit on the trunk-lid, be sure to use a soft material under the magnet to protect the paint and also secure the wires. Vibration and road dust/dirt can damage the paint (found in personal experience).

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I use a dolly...and have a suggestion. Why not rent a U-Haul dolly to see if you like it -or- hate it.
*If you like it, buy one of the many dolly's available based on your wallet and preferences - new can run from $1200-$5000 (used is a fraction of that).
*If you hate it, then you have not wasted much money and you can start building your set-up to flat tow.

Here's why I use a dolly...
~A dolly will carry any front wheel drive car/mini-van with no mods to the car.
~I can change cars to tow with no add'l costs.
~My car sits up high away from any rock strikes.
~My car has no wear and tear on the car's lower drive-line.
~There will be no issues at re-sale for those hidden miles on the driveline.
~My dolly has automatic and infinitely adjusting disc/surge barkes...no adjustment - no equipment to add to the RV - so EZE to use!

Also,
~Base plates of tow-bars sometimes need modifications to the car's front bumper to be installed.
~Getting brakes on a flat tow set-up is an additional cost with pieces/parts in the RV and the car.

Finally, I have friends that flat-tow and we hook-up in about a similar amount of time, but your experience may be different.

Best luck
I agree with "Scarab" on why he uses a tow dolly. I bought a used to dolly with electric brakes for $600, a set of magnetic lights for $30, and a 4flat connecter for a few bucks. I wired the 4flat into my 7round. the 7 round controls the lights and breaks on the dolly and the 4flat does the magnetic lights.That's it for cost.
I tow a jeep so it is easy to put it in all neutral, If you can tow your car 4 down then you can use a tow dolly. If I buy another jeep or use the DW or DD jeep I can do it without a thought of needing to get it set up.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Local laws vary (of course), but I have a lighted dolly - I have never used add'l lighting...not on my dolly and not on dolly's rented from U-Haul.

Extra lights are not a bad idea, but not required where my vehicles are licensed.

If you do add those magnetic lights that sit on the trunk-lid, be sure to use a soft material under the magnet to protect the paint and also secure the wires. Vibration and road dust/dirt can damage the paint (found in personal experience).

Safe travels
You may be right as long as you stay in your own state. Most western states require lights on anything that projects past 3 ft. You would be cited in CA. That is the same reason I have braking on my toad. Not required in WY but I don't limit my driving to WY.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post

You may be right as long as you stay in your own state. Most western states require lights on anything that projects past 3 ft. You would be cited in CA. That is the same reason I have braking on my toad. Not required in WY but I don't limit my driving to WY.
I just checked Uhaul requirements for renting their tow dolly. They require operational lights on the towed vehicle loaded on the dolly. You may want to re check your local laws just to be safe. I only mention that because I worked as LEO for almost 30 years.

Tags
towing