Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #1

Land Cruiser toad

Hello gang. I am looking to replace my wife's all wheel drive mini-van with a Toyota Land cruiser. This is an 8 passenger vehicle that I would like to set up as toad number 2. Both blue ox, and road master have certain year requirements for this model toyota. I have a couple specific questions.
1) does anyone out there tow a land cruiser or Lexus LX series? (I know there are GX470 fans out there, and that is my toad number 1)
2) the applicable years for base plates are 1998-2003 for the land cruiser. Has anyone put a base plate on a newer model, say 2006-2007? The body style seems same, it is still a series 100 land cruiser, but again, both blue ox and road master don't sell units for newer years. Is it possible to customize a base plate and if so, can you share your experience?

Dave 04 intrigue 11793
Cat C-12

P.s posted this on yahoo country coach also, sorry if you got it twice.
collecter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #2

Look here for more info - there's more to being 4 down towable than just base plate availability.

Downloadable Dinghy Guides | Motorhome Magazine
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #3

Thanks for that tip. I'm thinking those "lists" are not exhaustive. In 2007 guide, they didn't list the Lexus GX470, as an available unit, when in fact it is an amazing toad. Super reliable, runs forever, turn key to left, transfer case shifter to "N" position and your off. From what I've read, many jeep models tow the same way. Doesn't really get any easier than that. The same year land cruiser shares many of the same components...motor, trans, etc...I would love to hear from anyone who is using a land cruiser or LX 470 as a tow car.

Dave
04 Intrigue 11793
Old 10-11-2017, 07:17 AM   #4

Lexus toad

Dave,

I would love to flat tow a GX470. Where did you find out that you can flat tow the Lexus GX470? Personal experience, mechanic? If you saw one being towed they owner may have installed a drive train disconnect, which may be the only way to tow it. I checked the owners manual for the 2006 and 2007 model year and it explicitly states not to tow it four wheels down? Logic seems to dictate that if you can put the transfer case in neutral it should not be a problem and I have read that some manufacturers donít want to state that their cars can be flat towed because they have not fully tested it and do not want the liability. If you know of a way, or for sure that it can be, to flat tow a 2006/2007 (or there abouts) GX470 please share!

Thanks,

Pete
Pete1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #5

HI pete; I learned about the gx470 the same way your finding out about it. From a forum. I spoke to a guy who was using one, and he made a perfect argument for that particular vehicle. I had been doing the Google searching as well as the "towing guides recommendations" and never saw this vehicle mentioned. Perhaps a conspiracy. Haha. Kidding.

Anyway, when you goto blue ox or road master (I use blue ox) website, you punch in the year make and model of the vehicle you are looking to tow. If they have it listed, showing they have a baseplate for it, it at least shows it can be done.
Next question arises, what modifications are needed. Lots of people may surmise, but from numerous inquiries of rv'ers who used this car, eased my mind, and I took the plunge. I never asked the manufacturer and I never looked in the owners manual. I just trusted the people who did it. (Perhaps foolish? ? But i would do the same again)

I am a first year rv owner, with 4 children. Not knowing a lot about the coaches or toads, I ended up learning by reading everything I could find on the make and model coach that I have. (2004 country coach intrigue ovation 42'). I also spent 100's of hours reading this forum as well as the yahoo country coach forum. Tremendous resources to be sure.

Back to toad set up. This particular vehicle (06/07 lexus gx470) is a full time 4wd suv. You have 4wd high and 4wd low. The manual shift is a small shift located to the right of the transmission stick. Between "H" and "L" (high and low) on that stick is the "N" position. A simple move of stick, and keep key in the ignition all the way to left. (Prevents the steering wheel from locking) this is all I do to the car. I've towed 3500 miles this year, with no problems. If it needed driveshaft disconnect, I would have already damaged the vehicle.
Regarding your question about why the manufacturer says not to flat tow... I can't factually comment on. Perhaps they want to avoid liability like you say, but I for one am very happy with mine. I am 6'3". I'm comfortable in it... (not Cadillac comfortable, but quite comfortable) I've mentioned I use it as a daily driver. Actually, my wife and i kind of fight for it..she loves driving the Lexus. It drives like a brand new car. You should be able to get a top condition gx470 for 15k. Good luck, happy hunting, and let us know what you decided.
Incidentally, someone commented on the Honda Pilot as a candidate. I agree with them... another great vehicle. Perhaps not as stout 4wd in the woods kind of car, but who really needs that. It would probably be my second Avenue, as long as it seated 6+.
Dave
Old 10-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #6

Lexus GX

Dave,

Thanks for the insight. I am going to start looking at them. We only have one more trip planned until we put our RV away for the winter so there is no hurry, which is the best way to be when looking for a used car. Really happy I ran across this.
Seems the same logic applies to the FJ Cruiser and I think I will start researching and looking at some of them as well. I will let ya know which way I go but it may not be until sometime late spring.

Thanks again,

Pete
Pete1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #7

Good Pete, keep us posted.
Fj cruiser, I have no thoughts. It's a cool looking car. Not sure how many it seats, but definitely a possibility. Do your research and see who else is towing the fj before you take plunge.
Dave

Tags
toad