Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #211

Update on my towing setup..

Just a refresher..
08 Rubicon
Roadmaster Sterling towbar and 1429-1 brackets
CoolTech tow harness per the instructions
US Gear UTB 1000 braking system.

Initially, I had problems with the the braking system overriding the turn signals on the Jeep. That turned out to be a defective US Gear unit in the jeep.

With the unit now working correctly, I do not have to pull the M15 brake fuse.

The braking system as a 12vdc charge line from the motorhome to keep the jeep battery charged.

We towed the jeep to and from our destination this last weekend and also did NOT have to pull the IOD fuse to prevent the battery from running down. This trip was 4 hours each way over the Rockie Mountains from Denver to Grand Junction. Needless to say we had a fair amount of braking on the hills..

So this system does NOT require you to pull any fuses at all.

Thanks to all the wonderful folks on this forum that provided me a wealth of information in order to make the decision I did on the components of the tow system for this jeep..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #212

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by 2001Wrangler:

So this system does NOT require you to pull any fuses at all.

Thanks to all the wonderful folks on this forum that provided me a wealth of information in order to make the decision I did on the components of the tow system for this jeep..
That setup sounds great. I have found pulling the IOD fuse a PITA. We have a MYGIG with UConnect in the Jeep. Pulling the fuse causes the MYGIG to loose all the info in the MYGIG including bluetooth phone pairing. I'd love to not have to reset all that info each and every time I tow.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #213

This possibly is bit off topic. But I am new to this towing 4-down thing.

So it is my understanding that mileage will not register while towing 4-down on 2008 Jeep Wrangler from what I read in this thread.

Would I be correct in assuming that I should record the mileage in tow and rotate the tires accordingly based on the mileage on the tires?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #214
Commercial Member

Your understanding is correct. No mileage will accumulate on the Jeep odometer while towing. It may be a good idea to record mileage to dictate your rotation schedule.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #215

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have MyGig as well. In my Wrangler I do not loose phone pairing. The only thing that happens is that MyGig forgets what channel it was on last and reverts to some AM station when I turn it back on. It does remember all station presets, HDD tracks and playlists, phone pairing and Nav settings.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #216

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376:
I have MyGig as well. In my Wrangler I do not loose phone pairing. The only thing that happens is that MyGig forgets what channel it was on last and reverts to some AM station when I turn it back on. It does remember all station presets, HDD tracks and playlists, phone pairing and Nav settings.
Hmm, what are you running to have the Bluetooth, etc? Mine seems to loose the bluetooth settings every time. I have two phones paired.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:04 AM   #217

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a mic kit that I got from Harman Becker. BT is enabled (Uconnect). I have software version 9.713. Nothing gets lost except to the last station the radio was playing before pulling the iod fuse
Old 05-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #218

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill, the iod fuse has everything to do with towing and the poster was concerned about his mygig unit. We aren't trying to muscle in on your thread here. I'm outta here. Back to rv.net.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #219

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376:
I have a mic kit that I got from Harman Becker. BT is enabled (Uconnect). I have software version 9.713. Nothing gets lost except to the last station the radio was playing before pulling the iod fuse
I'm using the kit from amerus technology. I just assumed that the IOD fuse pull loosing all my phone pairing settings was a given. Since you're not having that issue, I'm going to reload the MYGIG software that came with the kit, re-pair the phones and see what happens on the 8 hour tow home on Monday with the IOD fuse pulled.

BTW,what happened to this thread? No title, most of the info missing.... Kind of upsetting after putting quite a bit of time myself into posting info in an attempt the make what was the definitive Wrangler towing thread more complete. It's just a mess now
Old 05-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #220
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Please see the new thread, 2007-2009 Jeep Wrangler Flat Towing.

Dirk, Moderator

Closed Thread