Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2007, 03:59 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by BillArf:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom and Dee:
Does anyone reinstall the bellypan after installing the base plate? Thanks Tom
Tom, On both of the installs I have done I did reinstall the plastic cover directly below the front bumper. I used a single edge razor on a handle to cut the plastic. Must admit my cuts were decent but if they weren't you would not really see once reinstalled. To be honest you could leave the plastic cover off. It does however limit the crap that get thrown up into the engine compartment. I frequent many forums where JK owners talk and many report they have removedd/are running without the plastic. To me, you have the plastic, it is easily cut and reinstalled so why not just do that.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,

Do you or anyone else have pictures of the belly pan re-installed? I'm having a hard time imagining the final look.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
offthewall,

I have no pics of the underside of the underside of my '07 Wrangler.. Can tell you the belly pan looks exactly as it did before the Blue Ox baseplate install. Fastens up exactly the same. Only change is the 2 slits I guess you would call them on either side of the belly pan that allows the belly pan to install over the baseplate mounting hardware. Again you look at it from the front of the Wrangler or from underneath it is the same. You barely notice the slits/cuts once the bell pan is reinstalled.
As mentioned before I cut the belly pan easily and reinstalled. I know others have just left the belly pan off. Will try to snap you a pic later today..
I guess what I'm asking, is the square crossbar of the blue ox visible in front of the belly pan or is it concealed by the belly pan?

A picture whould be worth a thousand words
Old 10-22-2007, 05:53 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Great, Thanks Bill.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #60

Does anyone use the M&G brake set-up on your Wranger? It looks like a good setup. Thanks Tom
Old 11-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Dee:
Does anyone use the M&G brake set-up on your Wranger? It looks like a good setup. Thanks Tom
I'm VERY interested in this as well. I've got a 2008 Unlimited on order and will probably go with the M&G system. I emailed them and they said the ABS motor has to be moved slighltly but the install is not a problem on the Wrangler.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #62

I am interested in whether the M&G system or the SMI Air Force One is the best system for a 2008 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler with the Cool Tech Harness. I will throw out for discussion my current thoughts. I may be totally misguided so straighten me out if I am.

Hitch Pro and Tow in Eugene, OR will install the M&G with a air pressure switch that will provide the much needed wired dash light. Nothing goes through the firewall. The toad brake pedal is not used. The vacumn line is not touched. The toad lights are controlled by the coach only. The third center brake light is not available. Will fit with some work per M&G in Athens and Hitch Pro and Tow.

Or I can have Henderson's in Grants Pass, OR install an SMI Air Force One. It uses the vacuum line to make the toad brake pedal alive. An air line and alert wire go through the firewall. The alert wire attaches to the cold side of the brake switch. The air line will attach to the activation cylinder that depresses the brake pedal. So it would seem that when the coach brakes are used, the toad brake lights receive juice from both the coach and the toad. Does that make the Wrangler brake light brighter?

Does pulling the IOD affect the cold side of the brake switch? If it did, then the SMI alert light would not work.

Given the IOD does not cut power to the brake pedal, then both systems seem very good. The SMI Air Force One will light the third center brake light since it uses the brake pedal. I do not see the difficulty of moving stuff to allow room for the M&G as a problem if the shop has done multiple installations already.

The SMI Air Force One attaches to the coach air line the same as the M&G, but has a slick shutoff at the rear of the coach that M&G does not provide. Many M&G owners have tried disconnecting the line and do not feel that it causes a problem. Country Coach has no problem with it. Hitch Pro and Tow does a lot of installs for Country Coach. But it is nice to have the air shutoff.

The SMI Air Force One seems to be installable on any toad, but that is not the issue since I am only looking at the 2008 Unlimited Wrangler.

Barry
Old 11-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #63
Commercial Member

Bill Arf has always advocated removing the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse before flat-towing a 2007-2008 Wrangler JK and here's the data to support why you should follow his recommendation:

The objective was to measure the current draw of the JK with the key in the first click position which unlocks the steering wheel but is also the accessory position. I tested using a precision Fluke 77 ammeter. Here's what I found:

JK Key-off position = .01 amps draw

JK Key-off position w/underhood light on = .96 amps draw (just a reference)

JK Ign 1st Click = 2.45 amps draw!!! (Also, in this mode there is a relay that cylces every 50 seconds tht briefly draws more current)

JK Ign 1st Click; IOD Fuse Pulled = .17 amps draw

OK, so these are the results which are a little suprising. With the IOD fuse left in place, 2.45 amps/hr x 12 hours = ~30 Amp/hrs which is probably about 1/2 (or more) of the total battery capacity of the JK battery.

Recommendation: If you're flat-towing the JK, lift up the cover on the fuse panel immediately in front of the battery. Lift up the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) Fuse. It is a 60A fuse and it has a holder with white "ears" to help you lift it up.

If any questions on this info or the method I used for testing, just let me know.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:39 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by offthewall:
kev,

How are you powering the Brake Buddy? Is it running off the Jeep battery as you are towing or do you have some sort of power line or toad charger setup going? This is the one area not mentioned in this thread. Thanks.
Sorry I missed your question. I am powering the BB via the "power plug" on the dash (cigarette lighter outlet). When the IOD fuse is pulled, power still goes to the power outlet, so the BB works fine.

I just bought an '08 Sahara Unlimited, so I am about to do this all over again. Glad I have "experience" now

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Old 12-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I just bought an '08 Sahara Unlimited, so I am about to do this all over again
KEV... I looked earlier - and nothing on your blog - so SPILL THE BEANS!!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:33 AM   #66

Hey Kev I just bought a '08 Sahara also!!!!
Will the set -up be the same as the '07???? Will I have to cut the ends of croosover pipe to get baseplate on???

Thanks Rick

PS Just received the Cool Tech wiring harness!!! Ordered it last Fri and FedEx delivered it yesterday!!!! 7 days door to door!!
Old 12-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Latitude:
Hey Kev I just bought a '08 Sahara also!!!!
Will the set -up be the same as the '07???? Will I have to cut the ends of croosover pipe to get baseplate on???

Thanks Rick

PS Just received the Cool Tech wiring harness!!! Ordered it last Fri and FedEx delivered it yesterday!!!! 7 days door to door!!
Awesome! We are loving ours. We are in a park for a couple of weeks right now, so we took off the hard top and put up the soft top. Love it!

Yes, the cut has to be made. This time I used a corded sawsall and it was SO much easier than my cordless version I used last time! I took a few pictures as I did the install if you would like to see - http://www.chillaxnet.com/gallery2/m...g/dest07/endo/ Starting towards the bottom of the page and onto the next page.

The actual install took me about an hour and a half. I then took most of the rest of the day goofing around with wiring and such. It was a successful install

--kev

Old 12-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Good point Bill.

I am using a BrakeBuddy setup in my '08 Unlimited (and was used in my '07 X). The good points to me about the system is that the initial install is very simple - installing the break-away switch and running the wire was the only real "install" part of the job. It is very easy to set up each time upon departure. The power for the system comes from the "cigar lighter" outlet on the dash. The outlet remains powered even after the IOD fuse is pulled.

The only negative point I can think of is storing the BB unit when not towing. It only involves stashing it away, then carrying it to the Jeep each time I am setting up for towing. Not a real big deal, but if I had to come up with a negative, that is all I can find.

I have no experience with other aux braking systems.

--kev

Old 12-22-2007, 05:33 AM   #69

Hi all, we were on our way to az and stoped by M&G in Athens TX on 12/20 and had there system installed on our 08 wrangler. They were done in 1 1/2 hours looks and works great.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #70

What if any type of connector comes with the Cool Tech kit?

My current config is a 7 pin on the back of the motorhome, and a 4 pin round on the front of my Grand Cherokee, which is connected to the Blue Ox tail light kit.

I just bought an 08 Unlimited X and was going to go the Blue Ox way again, but I'm not sure there is enough space in the tail light assembly.

The picture on the cool tech site is not very clear as to the type of connector provided.

Thanks
I would like to use my coiled cord between the motorhome and Jeep
Closed Thread