Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2021, 11:22 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonron View Post
Exactly, if you are compliant in your state, another state cannot enforce their towing requirements on you. California was considering a requirement that before you could enter their state, you would have to be inspected and meet Calif smog requirements. How absurd, that’s why there’s reciprocity, that is they don’t enforce their rules on out of staters.
That is simply not true.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 01:33 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuador Dave View Post
Great response here.. I do agree that a system of whatever fits the situation is required..

Now my question what about a surge brake when using a tow dolly?
What about it ?

My dolly surge brakes stop the only axle on it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:21 PM   #45

http://apps.csg.org/ncic/Compact.aspx?id=56

Driver license compact that each state had agreed to. There is not one for vehicles.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:07 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
National Center for Interstate Compacts Database

Driver license compact that each state had agreed to. There is not one for vehicles.
Not all states have agreed to this compact. I believe only 45 plus D.C. This compact covers uniform reporting of violations and other related issues, not specifically reciprocity of driving licenses between the states. This compact would handle things like transferring points on your license between states.

Wisconsin, where I live, is not a joinder of this compact. Yet, my license is still valid for driving in all 50 states.

However, this is not the reason that a drivers license is acceptable for driving from one state to the next. For that you just need to look at the US Constitution (Article IV, Section I) and the case law surrounding it.

I believe this is the same reason that your marriage license is usually honored from one state to the next. Pretty much why it's legal to drive across state lines to Las Vegas to get married and then return home to surprise your family.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Vehicle requirements for each state are applicable to all who drive on the roadways in that state. They include length, width, weight and safety requirements.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:43 AM   #48

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
It's just like the 'double towing' issue. I see 5th wheels being towed all of the time here in South Carolina with a golf cart on a utility trailer behind it. That is illegal in our state but most of the ones doing this are from out of state so they don't get stopped. However, you can ride in a 5th wheel going down the road in North Carolina but don't get caught doing that here in South Carolina. It's a pick and choose situation. The key is who knows and enforces the laws. Most of the time these things only come to light after a wreck....then it's too late to claim ignorance.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad