Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2021, 12:31 AM   #1

Law requiring toad braking system

Can anyone show a specific law, say in the state of Colorado or Montana, that specifies the requirement of a braking system for a towed vehicle ? I believe they exist i just can't find a state publication showing such. Tom
tundra9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2021, 06:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra9 View Post
Can anyone show a specific law, say in the state of Colorado or Montana, that specifies the requirement of a braking system for a towed vehicle ? I believe they exist i just can't find a state publication showing such. Tom
Colorado: See paragraph (c). Understand that when towing your car, it’s legally considered a trailer. Brakes and a breakaway system required or any trailer over 3,000lbs.

https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-4...-42-4-223.html
Shadow5501 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #3

Missouri is the only state that does not require a toad breaking system.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post

So, as long as you never travel outside Missouri..............
Old 11-25-2021, 07:42 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
https://www.rvia.org/system/files/me...quirements.pdf
Old 11-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know this is not a direct answer to the OPs original question, but here are my thoughts......

Many states have requirements for towed loads to have brakes and break away systems for loads as low as 1500#. Some chassis manufacturers state braking system is required for towed loads over 1500#.

Trying to justify not installing a braking system based on a vehicle is not a trailer is pure craziness. Sure, the law may say "trailer" and not imply a towed vehicle is a trailer, but the simple law of physics will rule over a lawyer. A motorhome does not have any means to determine that it is towing a 3000# utility trailer load of rocks or a 3000# vehicle. All the brakes in the motorhome know is it is having to stop an additional 3000#.

Additional, although very rare, tow bars and brackets can break and let the towed vehicle loose. It is better to be on the safe side and properly protect your life and equipment as well as others.

When we had a motorhome and towed 4-down, the dinghy had a braking system and a break away system.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:00 AM   #7

Not exactly. A few other states have a requirement to "stop within XX ft. at XX MPH"

https://www.rvia.org/system/files/me...quirements.pdf

Quote:
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 05:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
So, as long as you never travel outside Missouri..............
Just following the law of my state just like everyone else…. And we travel all over the US.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #9

The net is, if you’re towing a car behind a motorhome you should have some form of aux braking system. I can see where a 25k lb diesel towing a 2,500 lb toad it may not be needed , but most situations call for a braking system.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Just following the law of my state just like everyone else…. And we travel all over the US.
Equipment regulations are not like driver's license reciprocity. Those laws are governed by the state you are traveling through, not your home state.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Try this. It may not be gospel, but I’m sure it’s a good indicator of the different laws out there. No matter……auxiliary braking is nothing but a good thing.

https://www.brakebuddy.com/tablet/towing-laws.html
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:44 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Equipment regulations are not like driver's license reciprocity. Those laws are governed by the state you are traveling through, not your home state.

Do Florida drivers have to remove the dark tint form their windows before driving in a state with tint laws? Does a vehicle from a non safety inspection state have to be inspected when traveling in an inspection state? Be careful making blanket statements, the wording of the actual law determines what reciprocity may exist. I am not required to have an emissions check to drive thru a county in the same state which requires emission checks. For example in the bumper height/suspension modification section this is the wording:

“No person shall operate upon a street or highway any passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, or truck registered in this state that does not conform to the requirements of this section or to any applicable rule adopted pursuant to this section.”

Note the “registered in this state”limitation. Even is it’s illegal in the state of registration, we can’t enforce another state’s laws. Not arguing, just want to clarify that some equipment laws have no enforcement capability for vehicles registered in another state.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:02 PM   #13

Laws on the books, or not ...

If you're trying to save a few bucks - and driving without what are commonly accepted as reasonable safety devices / and take any of my family's life, limbs or property - then you can bet that I'll seek the most expensive trial lawyer to come after you.

Harsh rhetoric, but maybe it'll gain your attention.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:25 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Laws on the books, or not ...

If you're trying to save a few bucks - and driving without what are commonly accepted as reasonable safety devices / and take any of my family's life, limbs or property - then you can bet that I'll seek the most expensive trial lawyer to come after you.

Harsh rhetoric, but maybe it'll gain your attention.
I agree as well as the folk's towing way over the weight ratings of their truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad