Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2021, 10:36 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
That chart is partially right for WA as a motorized vehicle towing another motorized vehicle becomes a "combination vehicle". They mixed that in with the trailer regs but didn't add the definition of a combination vehicle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2021, 05:32 AM   #16

This is basically the same topic as rv warranties, gas station etiquette, etc. People will spend 500k on a mh, 40k on a toad, than not want to spend 1k on a braking system.
Like warranties, they try to justify this by misinterpreting the laws to fit their position. Like gas station etiquette they try and justify parking at the pumps because there is a store there and its the stores fault.
I have everything installed properly on my toad. I use a brake system because its what I am legally and morally obligated to do.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Do Florida drivers have to remove the dark tint form their windows before driving in a state with tint laws? Does a vehicle from a non safety inspection state have to be inspected when traveling in an inspection state? Be careful making blanket statements, the wording of the actual law determines what reciprocity may exist. I am not required to have an emissions check to drive thru a county in the same state which requires emission checks. For example in the bumper height/suspension modification section this is the wording:

“No person shall operate upon a street or highway any passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, or truck registered in this state that does not conform to the requirements of this section or to any applicable rule adopted pursuant to this section.”

Note the “registered in this state”limitation. Even is it’s illegal in the state of registration, we can’t enforce another state’s laws. Not arguing, just want to clarify that some equipment laws have no enforcement capability for vehicles registered in another state.
You are correct.

Lt. Dan probably should have used a phrase like, "laws for the operation of vehicles..." to be more accurate.

Missouri, for example, allows passengers to ride in a bumper hitched trailer, most other states do not. It also allows towing another motor vehicle with a strap, not necessarily a tow bar, most other states do not. Some states allow double towing, others do not. There are different length limits in various states that must be followed.

All of the above will result in possible citations and the obvious ones will likely result in being pulled over and cited or forced to be corrected before proceeding. Carrying passengers in the open bed of a pick up truck is illegal in California. Try telling the LEO that pulls you over that it is o.k. in the state from which you have traveled.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
"If only I could have stopped twenty five feet sooner"...
Take advantage of every available safety device you can.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:01 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Regardless of the laws I would have a braking system on a toad. Nothing worse than stopping 3 feet longer than the stopping zone.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:42 PM   #20

Well thanks everyone. Just so you know I've been pulling toads for over ten years. Always, always with a functional aux brake system. Today my toad has a TPS, battery charger energized by the coach and of course a functional toad braking system with emergency braking in the event of a brake (ha, ha) away. . I monitor all of these functions on a e-pad in the cockpit of the coach. The systems alert me if any of the systems are operating outside normal safety parameters. Pretty basic stuff for 2021. My coach pretty much lives in Montana. A friend of mine up there asked me if I knew specifically the law in Montana governing toads and braking requirements. It, like my original post was an academic question only. I didn't know. I did manage to find Colorado's though and it was spread over several sections of their transportation code. Took awhile to put it all together. What has been interesting are the responses. Some were very interesting and informative. Some head scratchers. One suggested he was being "harsh" as to get my attention. That one speaks volumes. Any way. Thanks everyone for your responses. Can't wait for the snow to melt in Glacier Park. Stay safe. Tom
tundra9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:06 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Ohio says the rearmost axle must have brakes :

(6) In any combination of motor-drawn trailers or semitrailers equipped with brakes, means shall be provided for applying the rearmost brakes in approximate synchronism with the brakes on the towing vehicle, and developing the required braking effort on the rearmost wheels at the fastest rate; or means shall be provided for applying braking effort first on the rearmost brakes; or both of the above means, capable of being used alternatively, may be employed.

This section would make tow dollies in violation unless the dragged axle brakes are also actuated. M
Old 12-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #22

Don't know if it's law but I do know your insurance company will be very upset if u are involved in accident with no auxiliary braking system on toad.
Ryancasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Most courts will look for "reasonable and prudent" and "general practice". I believe toad braking is general practice among RVers, and they are certainly reasonable and prudent, given what you just spent on the rest of the RV. But hey, lots of people run around with the state minimum liability insurance. If you have nothing to protect, that is what you should do. Like putting a $100 helmet on a $10 head...
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #24

Do all tow dollys that RVers like to use have brakes? I recently had a Civic on a U-Haul dolly and had to stand on my 30k mile Reyo's brakes when a hwy stop light changed. Opened my eyes. Guess I was used to my 40DP with an M&G air brake system on my Yukon. Big diff. Be safe out there y'all..
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
I would call it the law of common sense.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #26

Braks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra9 View Post
Can anyone show a specific law, say in the state of Colorado or Montana, that specifies the requirement of a braking system for a towed vehicle ? I believe they exist i just can't find a state publication showing such. Tom

I call it inexpensive life insurance for you and other people. I always had brakes on every trailer or on a toad that weighed over 1,000 lbs. I tried towing my first boat/trailer and I made a quick decision - brakes are a safety issue and not a what is required issue. Been towing for over 60years
JLRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:53 PM   #27

I will admit I tow a roughly 2500 lb trailer with no trailer brakes with a pickup, but it has good brakes and I don't tailgate, ever. When I bought a motorhome and was going to be pulling roughly 7,500 lbs as a toad I made sure I had an auxiliary braking system on the toad. There is no good answer for the following question: Mr. Defendant you were towing a 7,500 lb truck and didn't think it was necessary to have an auxiliary braking system. Your motorhome hit Mr. Plaintiff's subcompact car and killed little Johnny Plaintiff. Why did you think that an auxiliary braking system wasn't need? You may be able to get way with the "I didn't think it was needed or required." in a bench trial but I'm thinking most juries wouldn't buy your argument, regardless of what it is. Just because something is legal doesn't make it smart, or even defensible.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #28

What about drag chains in the winter when chains are required? Some states require them and some don’t. It’s difficult to know all the laws in all the states.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad