Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2018, 06:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
My trailer gross is 5000lbs. but my safety chains and hooks are rated for 10000lbs.
X2. My little Subi Crosstrek only weighs 3200 lbs, but I have a Blue Ox Avail 10,000 lb rating.
Never ever want to take chances. Always err on the side of caution.
Besides, Avail was only 100 bucks more than the cheaper ones.
To the OP...why would you ever want to take a chance, even a one in a million.
Not worth the problems that would befall you if something ever did happen.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2018, 06:09 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Wow. I'll purchase the breakaway system. Hadn't thought about equipment failures like yours. Was just thinking about the bars and cables failing. Thanks
Old 12-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
Just purchased a 2018 f150 platinum 4x4 last Thursday. So I'm going to be using a tow bar. Haven't decided which to bar yet. Depending on what I find for sale used in ebay or Craigslist. Have pretty much decided on the M&G braking system. My thinking with the tow bar and safety cables why would I need to purchase the safety braking system that locks up the brakes if by some strange chance the tow bar and safety cables fail. If this occurs I would think that would be the least of my problems. Can someone convince me other wise. Thanks
Because some states require it. WA laws require your trailer or towed to have a breakaway that is strong enough to hold the vehicle in place for 15 min on any normal highway grade.
Also, just as it takes more power to move heavier things it also takes more power to stop it,
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:12 PM   #18

When the guy posted the picture of the snapped off hitch, the part that slides into the receiver, I was surprised. Glad I upgraded my chains!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Bet that made your spinkter tighten!
Didn't even know what happened at first. Hardly felt it, but we have an alarm in the coach for the toad's lube pump. When the harness broke, that alarm went off immediately and the toad braking system indicator light in the coach lit up. One quick look in the side mirror was when the panic started. I ran out and quickly got the safety reflective triangles out as we were on a double blind curve with a cliff to our right. Within 3 minutes (seemed like 10 to 15) an off duty ranger came by, radio'd for help (no cell service) and we directed traffic until law enforcement arrived 20 minutes later. Tow truck came after 50 minutes and hauled away toad. No damage at all to motorhome. The picture below was taken after the motorhome was moved to a safe place and just before tow truck arrived. Drag marks from failed baseplate show how far we went before realizing we had a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1893.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	470.4 KB
ID:	230260  
Old 12-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Patrick,.. check the vehicle weight for the F-150 - maybe go weigh it with full fuel. I have the 2016 F-150 4x4 and it is more like 5000#. Also I don't know about the M&G, but the SMI AF1 has the breakaway brake activation as part of the package (not an option), I would suspect the M&G would as well.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
Just purchased a 2018 f150 platinum 4x4 last Thursday. So I'm going to be using a tow bar. Haven't decided which to bar yet. Depending on what I find for sale used in ebay or Craigslist. Have pretty much decided on the M&G braking system. My thinking with the tow bar and safety cables why would I need to purchase the safety braking system that locks up the brakes if by some strange chance the tow bar and safety cables fail. If this occurs I would think that would be the least of my problems. Can someone convince me other wise. Thanks
One more suggestion now that you were convinced into getting a break away system.

Buy a new tow bar. They aren't that expensive. You obviously have plenty of money, ie the $55,000+ toad and the $100,000+ motorhome. Trying to save $300-$500 on a used tow bar is just asking for trouble. I'm not saying you can't find a decent used tow bar out there but you really aren't talking that much savings.

I bought a used tow bar and completely rebuilt it. I have about $350 in it all said and done. New would have been under $800. If you insist on buying a used tow bar just assume it's completely worn out and do a complete disassembly and rebuild. The piece of mind will be well worth the effort.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
One more suggestion now that you were convinced into getting a break away system.

Buy a new tow bar. They aren't that expensive. You obviously have plenty of money, ie the $55,000+ toad and the $100,000+ motorhome. Trying to save $300-$500 on a used tow bar is just asking for trouble. I'm not saying you can't find a decent used tow bar out there but you really aren't talking that much savings.

I bought a used tow bar and completely rebuilt it. I have about $350 in it all said and done. New would have been under $800. If you insist on buying a used tow bar just assume it's completely worn out and do a complete disassembly and rebuild. The piece of mind will be well worth the effort.
I have always wondered about buying the parts used. I always see people doing it with no problems so my wife just says I worry too much. But when it comes to safety stuff I will always buy new to feel better. It may be a false sense of security but there is just something about knowing someone didn’t miss treat it. I could never live with myself if me being a cheap ass to save a few bucks and it caused someone’s family:
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:21 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
I think I'm going with a new roadmaster falcon all terrain with the ez connect base plate, the one that doesn't use the cross bar. They offer both types of base plates but not using the cross bar is one less thing to connect. It's rated 10,000 lbs. Is there a better place to order from other than etrailer? Have gotten pretty confused going from roadmaster to blue ox and comparing the 2.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
Regarding the safety braking system.... That breakaway switch saved my butt this year. My base plate cracked in half on the toad and vehicle separated going up a mountain in Lassen Volcanic National Park. What most people don't realize is that your safety cables may be (probably are) attached under the vehicle to the base plate. Check most towing systems and you will see what I mean. When the base plate totally breaks away, you essentially have a run away toad.... and in the case of going up a steep mountain, the toad will rapidly accelerate backwards.
I guess thats why Blue Ox at least on my Equinox has a second set of safety cables that go around the base plate and a structural part of the frame on each side when installed.
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly