Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #1

Lexus GX470 - looking for it as a TOAD

I have had a 2001 MDX and with 300,000 road miles it is time for a change - so either another MDX(2005-6) or a Jeep Commander Limited or a GX470? (need to seat 6 +)

Really like the ride and feel of the Lexus and am looking for those who Have or Have Had a GX470 as a toad - I know they are not recommended by Lexus(Toyota) but......Many are being used as a TOAD, and I would love to hear how you have like it - Good and the Bad.

For me the needs are - Comfortable, good driver - seats 6+ - Off Road capable - Safe/Reliable vehicle.

TIA,

. .
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 08:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have been looking for a LX or GX also. I have also learned late model 4Runner Trail edition can be towed as (only in the Trail Edition) they have the manual transfer case with a neutral position. Good luck and please post up what you find.
Bob
Old 12-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

Found this on line;

We just returned from our trip towing a GX470 without modifications. We towed the GX over 8500 miles and drove it another 4,000 miles during the trip. It towed great with no problems whatsoever. From my experience it is a great tow car. Talked with 4 others towing GX's during our trip and they shared our opinion.

Have towed my '07 GX470 over 20,000 miles without any issues. Like you, I bought it for towing purposes. Transfer case-neutral; transmission-park; key in & all the way left.

The procedure of ... Neutral - Transmission in Park - Key without lock,

This seems to be the Key.....

Sure would like to hear from an Actual user.

Busskipper
Old 12-24-2016, 09:28 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My last tow vehicle was a 05' 4Runner with the 4.7L V-8 the same as the Lexus GX470. I believe as in the Lexus they stopped the 4.7 V-8 in 2009. Owned it since new, traded for a 14' Tundra.

Didn't have any power train issues except a 3 week repair for a wiring issue on the transmission. But I did have a whole lot of other repairs: AC, Alt, steering linkage, heater fan, OX sensor (twice). Catalytic (twice). Over only 56k miles.... Yes, even after 9 years it still rode like new. It was my daily driver, but was also used to tow my 26' RV trailer.

I was looking to buy a used GX470, but was worried maybe I would have the same issues.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Superslif

Are you towing your Tundra 4-down? 2-wheel drive or 4x4?
Old 12-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #6

We towed an 02 Lx470 for over 60,000 miles. Never a problem . Same as Gx470. Same engine and trans. We recently because of high mileage, 160,000. Bought a new Jeep GC cause new Lexus cannot be towed. Jeep is even easier to hook up for tow.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Are you towing your Tundra 4-down? 2-wheel drive or 4x4?
No, the Tundra is the tow vehicle for my RV trailer

My parents wanted to buy a Tacoma as a toad, and Toyota said no towing on any Toyota's. I have seen some Rav4's....as toad's.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #8

how about considering a Honda van and a tow dolly, if you need to seat 6 people. Dave
Old 01-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Really like the ride and feel of the Lexus and am looking for those who Have or Have Had a GX470 as a toad - I know they are not recommended by Lexus(Toyota) but......Many are being used as a TOAD, and I would love to hear how you have like it - Good and the Bad.
I'm about to find out!! Picked up this '06 in the Dallas area last week with only 68k miles and prior owner kept it indoors at home and work. Definitely one nice vehicle with the V8 and interior layout. My Roadmaster brackets should be here this weekend and go on no-drill and fit into existing holes with nothing to remove. Transfer Case is only High - Neutral - Low. Talked to another owner says he throws it into neutral, then put tranny in park. Seems you turn the key back to off, don't remove key, and steering column stays unlocked. I'm getting the differential and transfer case oil changed this week, then we're off. Standby!

LoggedOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoggedOff View Post
I'm about to find out!! Picked up this '06 in the Dallas area last week with only 68k miles and prior owner kept it indoors at home and work. Definitely one nice vehicle with the V8 and interior layout. My Roadmaster brackets should be here this weekend and go on no-drill and fit into existing holes with nothing to remove. Transfer Case is only High - Neutral - Low. Talked to another owner says he throws it into neutral, then put tranny in park. Seems you turn the key back to off, don't remove key, and steering column stays unlocked. I'm getting the differential and transfer case oil changed this week, then we're off. Standby!

That the exact color and car I've been looking for - Awesome - Could you PM me what you paid for it. 06 with 68K is unheard of, and garage kept on top of that - it should provide years of comfort on the Blacktop and also be Great on the 4x4 trails in Colorado.

Let me know how it does,
Old 01-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #11

I have a 2015 GX and want to use as a TOAD.. Suggestions?
thefails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefails View Post

From the Remco Towing Products website:

2015 Lexus GX 460 ALL 4WD V8 4.6L cyl 6-Speed Automatic TB-68LS

Notes

• Must be towed using a trailer
Old 01-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefails View Post
I spoke at length with these folks Sleeoffroad.com - Toyota SUV Off-Road Outfitters as they have done extensive work and research on Toyota 4x4s. Their claim is that any Toyota can be flat towed if the Transfer Case has a neutral position. On the newer GX's, Lexus (Toyota) went to an electronic T-Case that does not indicate a neutral position. A couple months ago I was looking at a 2008 Landcruiser and found in their Factory Service Manual (FSM) that by doing certain things ( IIRC turn the key on and off a certain number of times while holding the gear selector a certain way) you can get it into neutral. I felt this was just not something I wanted to deal with so just purchased a 2007 Lexus LX470. This still has the manual T-Case selector as does the GX470, that I can just put it in the neutral position, leave the key in the ignition, but not turned on, and take off and go. So, if you can get a towbar for your GX460 you can google the FSM and find the way to get the T-Case into neutral. Hope this helps...Bob
Old 01-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We have towed our Land Cruiser thousands of trouble free miles. Put the transmission in park, the transfer case in nuetral, turn the key off, but do not remove it. The steering wheel lock is activated if you remove the key.

Tags
toad