Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickneast1 View Post
I was thinking I could unlock steering allowing the front wheels to turn. Would attach bungee cord to allow movement and to bring wheel back to center when turn is complete.
Letting the front wheels steer, while towing from the rear, may not work. The caster will be off and may want to wander back and forth.

I have a swivel plate dolly, and have watched it, in the mirrors, swivel each way while turning.

Unless your going down a highway, all local driving is going to chew up the dolly tires with no movement.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #16

Whatever anyone decides to tow, I would be reluctant to tow something that is really low to the ground. That's why we chose a small SUV as they sit up higher than a small sedan.

How many times have we ALL had to straddle a gator (tire strips), debris, lawn chairs, ladders, junk, etc., on the road. I don't want anything, if at all possible, to get hung up under a low-riding tow vehicle.

We are on our third tow vehicle (2007 Honda CR-V, 2013 Honda CR-V and now the Lincoln MKX).

Good luck on your search!
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickneast1 View Post
Alan,
Are you towing the SC on tow dolly, trailer or flat tow. I have an acme tow dolly with removable ramps, thinking of backwards towing due to rear wheel drive. Your thoughts.

We tow the smart car 4 down - piece of cake to hook up, and at 1800 lbs we barely know it's back there. Towing backwards on a dolly is asking for trouble I think. The front suspension is designed with caster to bring the wheels back to center when you turn. But that caster doesn't work too well going backwards - go to your nearest supermarket and grab a shopping cart, then watch the front wheels as you move that cart forwards and backwards - those front wheels have built-in caster that forces them to swivel to the forward-moving direction. Your car's wheels will do the same, except they can't swivel completely around like the shopping cart's wheels can.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #18

Find the Motorhome Towing Guide from a few years ago online. It lists which vehicles can be towed, their weights, and any towing limitations. Most smaller cars listed in there should have depreciated to <$20k now.
jerome951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #19

2000-2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder With Conventional Stick

The MR2 Spyder made from 2000-2005 weighs in at 2100 pounds. Only the manual transmission is towable per the owners manual. The semi-automatic semi-manual with the chrome gear shift area is NOT.

We towed a 2000 MR2 Spyder with a Roadmaster setup for 3 years. We changed tow vehicles because we often drove the Spyder on terrain typically meant for a Wrangler. We knew we went too far one time when pulling into an area of all Wranglers. The look people gave us was unforgettable. We replaced the Spyder with a 2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4 thereafter to this day.

Because of the weight of the MR2 Spyder, we got by without secondary braking. It was a very easy and painless tow vehicle. It tracked beautifully, and the tow bar was level without a riser. I miss that car.

Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:05 PM   #20

Hands down it's the Mini Moke at 850 lbs, like the original Mlni's way more car than it looks.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...w_%2710%29.jpg
2002guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002guy View Post
Hands down it's the Mini Moke at 850 lbs, like the original Mlni's way more car than it looks.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...w_%2710%29.jpg
The new ones can't be purchased with gas engines in the U.S.

The electric ones can but who knows if they're towable. Plus, they seem like a glorified golf cart to me ...top speed is 25 mph and for $20-25k, I can think of better vehicles to tow behind a motorhome.

Eh, they're cute, granted. But for anything other than a golf cart, I wonder how practical they'd be?

Specifications - Electric Moke
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #22

Yeah the electric ones are pretty lame, the gas ones are available used and will hit 60-65mph and you'd be a brave man to do it. You wouldn't want to even think about hitting anything in one you'd probably have better protection on a skate board.
2002guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #23

We are towing a 2017 Spark LT1 with the 5 speed. You must remove the Neg. battery cable to disable the stability control computer but no other issues we've seen. No problem to tow behind my 25' Minnie E350 motor home and it's a great second car for around town. We used to tow a Smart Car and it was no problem to tow except for maintenance which can only be done by a Mercedes dealer WHO SELLS THEM. In Indiana that is one dealer in Indianapolis. Repairs are at Mercedes prices and the service wait is long. which isn't good when your on the road. Few Technicians and fewer repair parts. Been there, done that twice. Go with the Spark and you won't regret it.
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #24

My Sonic toad is 2700 pounds. It's an automatic. Supposed to pull a fuse and keep to 65 mph.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
I have a 2007 Solstice with an automatic transmission. Is yours a manual transmission?

Where is you find the baseplate?

Thanks

I found the baseplate online it wasn’t hard to find and a pretty easy install , but yes mine is manual trans. I couldn’t find any info weather I would need to disconnect the drive shaft so decided to take a chance and it’s working good so far. With the automatic you might need to find a way to disconnect. But tows good
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:22 PM   #26

The winning answer is the Smart car. We have towed ours over 50,000 miles and it is very easy to connect / disconnect.
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:21 PM   #27

Quote:
gas ones are available used and will hit 60-65mph and you'd be a brave man to do it. You wouldn't want to even think about hitting anything in one you'd probably have better protection on a skate board.
This is uninformed bs. This car is a blast to drive as friends attest. Our '08 cabrio is computer-limited to 93 mph and drives comfortably there.

In 11 yrs/85000+ miles, the original battery is ok and besides one (optional) tranny software update, has never seen any dealer. Oil/filter changes w/o jacking up the car; 3rd set of F pads; 2nd R shoes. The HVAC fan was replaced (10 min); recent shift controller (15 min). It can't get any better than that.

6'3" and very comfortable; LA>PHX (43mpg);one tank.

You'd be amazed at what I've carried in it, serving 95% of driving needs! Driving like I stole it, stroking the shift paddles near redline; mileage dropped to 27.

The frame and pax 'cage' are incredibly strong and 4 airbags (not Takata) cushion the humans.

Tis superior Daimler quality in a wee package and far superior to all the 5- 7- 8-series BMWs or '15 Outback that came and left my garage, never soon enough.

Laugh, criticize and point but the joke's not on Smart owners.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Yeah the electric ones are pretty lame, the gas ones are available used and will hit 60-65mph and you'd be a brave man to do it. You wouldn't want to even think about hitting anything in one you'd probably have better protection on a skate board.
I don't have a dog in this tussle but you need to look at the crash video's for the Smart car, quite impressive. The Smart Car fits a niche and is a good car for that purpose.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, test, toad