Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lightest Toad for 4 wheel down towing?

Hello all you wonderfully knowledgeable RVers!

We have a 5k tow capacity, and will soon be looking (I think) for a vehicle to be towed. I'd like the lightest toad that can carry 4 people - adult sized - the darned kids are getting bigger every day. Any suggestions?
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #2

A Honda CRV is a popular choice that would fit your bill.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A bit more information might generate some additional responses.

New models? Late model used? Older used?
Do you need/want 4WD?
Are you OK with a stick shift or Automatic only.

The CRV is a popular choice but certainly not the lightest at 3500+ lbs. The Honda FIT is much lighter at around 2500+ lbs.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
paz

A compact or mid-size sedan will be lighter than an SUV, especially if the SUV has AWD, but there are still several SUVs that are well under 5,000 lbs. Cars such as the Chevy Cruze, Ford Fiesta, ford Focus, Chevy HHR or Chevy Malibu come to mind. These are all towable 4-down with auto trans. There are also many light-weight foreign makes that are towable 4-down, but most of those are only towable with manual trans.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nick- used would be the way, I think, older is fine. We are fine with manual transmission, even like them. Maybe I should wonder if my 2005 impala can be done with a dolly, although that's not the way we really wanted to do it, but maybe that would be the cheapest way - and the mileage is nothing to sneeze at right now.
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since you already have the Impala, and it is not excessively heavy (~3500) for your gasser coach, then a dolly might be worth considering. Double check your hitch and towing weight capacities especially since you need to add the weight of the dolly.

If you want to find a lighter toad, and since you are fine with a stick, then the window of choices is much wider to tow 4-down.

Good luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The best and one of the lightest toads is a Chevy HHR. They weigh about 3100 lbs.
All you have to do to tow it four down is to install tow brackets,lights and fuse switch. It tows well, drives well, will comfortably hold four people and cargo behind the back seat. The car is easy on gas and handles well.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefans & Harvey View Post
aybe I should wonder if my 2005 impala...
Remco makes a lube pump for $850 that will allow you to tow a 2005 Impala 4-down. No dolly necessary. Their charts say you need LP-1. The pump circulates the ATF through the transmission allowing you to tow the car.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We pull a SMART CAR behind our 1997 bouncer , it can be pulled 4 down but we picked up a smartcartrailer and it's great. Turns great backing up 1800 lb car 800 lb trailer
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

And your Smart Car hold 4 adult-sized people? Remember, the OP has a family to tote around...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The 4WD version of the Suzuki Grand Vitara and its sister, the Chevy Tracker (1999-2004), will carry 4 comfortably and weighs about 3200 lbs. We owned two of them and towed over 80k miles.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #12

We tow a 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4 wheels down. Just hook up the tow bar, put the transfer case in neutral and the trans in park. It tracks very nicely, and it's fun to put the soft top down for cruising around on occasion.
n9iui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our first tow was a 99 Saturn SL ----she ran strong----I liked it and it was trouble free----sold it to a person wanting to tow. It was too low to the ground for us---so we went to a new CR-V in 04---both tow four down with automatic, Saturn just hook up and go---CR-V there is a little ritual to go through before towing. CR-V comfortable for 5---- Saturn more like 4-----if you found a good one it would be inexpensive I'll bet.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Our first tow was a 99 Saturn SL ----she ran strong----I liked it and it was trouble free----sold it to a person wanting to tow. It was too low to the ground for us---so we went to a new CR-V in 04---both tow four down with automatic, Saturn just hook up and go---CR-V there is a little ritual to go through before towing. CR-V comfortable for 5---- Saturn more like 4-----if you found a good one it would be inexpensive I'll bet.

I checked the weigh slip for the Saturn 2460 pounds---CR-V around 3500 as stated by others.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote