Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Posts: 65
Lincoln Nautilus 2020 TOAD

Happy New Year.

I just bought a 2020 Lincoln Nautilus and I can't seem to figure out how to get it in to Neutral Tow Mode. It is very confusing. I had a 2016 Lincoln MKX and it was the push of a few buttons. The Manual is so confusing. I do not want to pull strings and disconnect batteries etc.

Any help out there. I use a Blue Ox and Airforce one tow system.

Thanks for your responses
KingCruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
RUFINIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCruzer View Post
Happy New Year.

I just bought a 2020 Lincoln Nautilus and I can't seem to figure out how to get it in to Neutral Tow Mode. It is very confusing. I had a 2016 Lincoln MKX and it was the push of a few buttons. The Manual is so confusing. I do not want to pull strings and disconnect batteries etc.

Any help out there. I use a Blue Ox and Airforce one tow system.

Thanks for your responses
Unfortunately you do have to pull a cable. It is located under the dash above your brake pedal. You have to take the cover off the small box. Inside that is a cable. You pull that cable and hook it on the right side which keep the transmission in neutral.

Look down this string of topics in this forum and you will find specific instructions on preparing to tow. It sounds complicated, but gets very easy and quick once you have done it a few times.

You do have to disconnect the battery. You can get the Roadmaster disconnect switch so you can disconnect it from inside the driver's compartment. You need to disconnect or our parking brake may go on when it senses the car is moving when it doesn't think it should.

The posts about the Nautilus and the Ford Edge are the both relevant, since they are the same vehicle
__________________
Joe in Seattle; winter at Motorcoach CC, Indio, CA
2015 Essex 4503
2019 Lincoln Nautilus toad
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2
I have read this thread an others on towing the Nautilus. I have just purchased a 2020 Nautilus and am tying to get a handle on which braking system to use.
Did you use the AF1 system or what? Also it sounds like you recommend using a battery disconnect system so the parking brake doesn't get confused. Do you have any issues with the car after turning the battery back on after the tow?

Appreciate any info you can share. Thanks in advance!
JAX Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
RUFINIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX Mike View Post
I have read this thread an others on towing the Nautilus. I have just purchased a 2020 Nautilus and am tying to get a handle on which braking system to use.
Did you use the AF1 system or what? Also it sounds like you recommend using a battery disconnect system so the parking brake doesn't get confused. Do you have any issues with the car after turning the battery back on after the tow?

Appreciate any info you can share. Thanks in advance!
I am using a Brakemaster from Roadmaster. My installer in Portland, OR is a former employee of Brakemaster and has been installing for over 30 years. He recommended need the Brakemaster. I did not want to have to install a device on the toad brake pedal every time I set up to tow. He convinced me that it takes about 30 seconds to hook it up after doing it a few times. He was right. He did want to cut into any of the systems in the Nautilus to install any other. So I went with his recommendation and am happy with it.

Yes, I have the battery disconnect and there have been no problems. You should wait about a minute after engaging the batteries before starting the car or you all get some messages on the dash that things are out of sync. I learned to wait the minute and no messages. Also the only settings you lose are the dash gauges (it defaults to the single speedometer instead of the speedo and tach that I prefer. Push a couple of buttons and it is back to what I like to see. Also the time on the radio screen does not recognize daylight savings time, so during that time, it is off a month. Again, easy to reset.

Make sure to push on the brake pedal when disengaging the parking brake. You will see the message on the dash that the brake is not set. Then hit the battery disconnect switch.

They will also have to do some wiring to get the towed back lights to work with the battery disconnected. They need power. I have a switch next to the battery disconnect switch to enable the towed lights to get power from the battery when the battery is disconnected. The instructions are on the Roadmaster Website.

I really enjoy the Nautilus and glad it is towable. One of the few now that are.

Hope this helps.
__________________
Joe in Seattle; winter at Motorcoach CC, Indio, CA
2015 Essex 4503
2019 Lincoln Nautilus toad
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:42 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2
Thanks for the info.
I heard from another guy that he used the AF1 for braking and has had no issues with it other than there is no room under the hood to place the unit. So there is a decision to make on braking system; AF1 or the Brakemaster system.
I think I'll use the Brakemaster battery disconnect system you referenced to disconnect the battery.
As for the lights, the documentation provided by Brakemaster on how to wire the lights is detailed and will help to wire the lights.
Thanks for your post and the info. Much appreciated!
JAX Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX Mike View Post
Thanks for the info.
I heard from another guy that he used the AF1 for braking and has had no issues with it other than there is no room under the hood to place the unit. So there is a decision to make on braking system; AF1 or the Brakemaster system.
I think I'll use the Brakemaster battery disconnect system you referenced to disconnect the battery.
As for the lights, the documentation provided by Brakemaster on how to wire the lights is detailed and will help to wire the lights.
Thanks for your post and the info. Much appreciated!
There is more than one place to put the AF1 under the hood. Just have to look and use a little imagination. Have used the same AF1 on two vehicles now, install and never need to touch again.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
toad



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 Lincoln Nautilus Sicduc Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 16 11-01-2021 05:55 PM
2019 Lincoln Nautilus Hookup Procedure lagawne Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 47 06-20-2021 10:49 PM
2020 Lincoln Nautilus 2.7 as Toad jameshawk Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 17 01-21-2021 11:35 AM
2019 Lincoln Nautilus for Dinghy Tow? Imatraveler Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 8 01-13-2021 03:02 PM
Lincoln Nautilus Towing Issues Sschambera Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 0 10-06-2020 10:49 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.