Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #1

list of all years 4 down toads?

Hello all you experts! I am looking to purchase a vehicle to tow behind our '04 Diplomat and getting more confused by the day.

First of- We've got access to the 2015 Dingy Guide for 2015 model years. Which is great if you are looking at 2015s... I'll assume there is one for each year? Is that online anywhere? Does anyone have a link they can share? Better yet, is there something similar for dinghies for all years?

Basically, I think we would like to look at a Toyota Tacoma,for example only!!! Are there manufacuter years where you can tow 4 down w/o needed drive shaft disconnects, auxiliary lube oil pumps or other "add ons"?

Is there anywhere where you could search by model instead of year and it will give you what you/we are looking for besides owners manuals and manufacturers data sheets?

Thanks,

J -n- C
J -n- C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #2

The Remco site is good if you know all the details , Y/M/M. etc. and if the details are available elsewhere , I'm sure another member will chime in.
EDIT: As per your example , many times looking at a 4 wheel drive truck, rather than 2 wheel drive , gets around both , drive shaft disconnect and pump requirements.

Store : Remco
Old 11-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #3

Google Motorhome Magazine Dingy Towing Guide
MVSummerwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Google can be your friend:

Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine

Also, don't buy any vehicle based on this or other guides. CHECK THE OWNER'S MANUAL. If it's not in the car you're thinking of purchasing, LOOK ON LINE. Never believe a salesperson that a vehicle is towable.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Google can be your friend:

Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine

Also, don't buy any vehicle based on this or other guides. CHECK THE OWNER'S MANUAL. If it's not in the car you're thinking of purchasing, LOOK ON LINE. Never believe a salesperson that a vehicle is towable.
BFlinn181

I could be wrong, but he may have to search year by year...(I don't think he will find an "all years dinghy towing guide" anywhere).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #6

Don't always rely on the owners Manuel either . There have been some cars that when originally produced , the manufacturer believed could be flat towed . Turns out they can't , but the Manuel that came with the car of course says it can. Chevy Cruze is an example . Also the Ford Escspe & Fuzion is another .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
BFlinn181

I could be wrong, but he may have to search year by year...(I don't think he will find an "all years dinghy towing guide" anywhere).
Mel
'96 Safari
You're correct Mel, but my link takes you to the Motorhome Magazine web page that links to each year''s Dinghy guide back to 2000. If someone's looking for a vehicle to turn into a Toad older than a 2000, they're on their own. The cost of adapting a vehicle older than that would probably cost more than the vehicle.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I used Remco when I replaced mine earlier this year. Store : Remco
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #9

Thanks for the responses. Some how I missed the previous years guides and just got stuck on 2015 model year.

One more quick question- Is there an "easy way" to find used vehicles that are all ready set up for towing, i.e. drive shaft disconnects on a toyota tacoma? I'd think there would be some used ones out there but haven't really found a site that specializes in toads
Old 11-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J -n- C View Post
Thanks for the responses. Some how I missed the previous years guides and just got stuck on 2015 model year.

One more quick question- Is there an "easy way" to find used vehicles that are all ready set up for towing, i.e. drive shaft disconnects on a toyota tacoma? I'd think there would be some used ones out there but haven't really found a site that specializes in toads
Look at the irv2.com classifieds
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Is there an "easy way" to find used vehicles that are all ready set up for towing, i.e. drive shaft disconnects on a toyota tacoma? I'd think there would be some used ones out there but haven't really found a site that specializes in toads
J -n- C
Try here: http://www.hitchtrader.com/
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Some y/m/m can only be towed if they have specific options. My 2000 Blazer can only be towed if it is equipped with the electronic AWD transfer case. The electoronic and the manual 4wd transfer cases cannot be owed, nor can the 2wd, without the same mods you have to do to other nontowable vehicles.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #13

Power Cat - I looked and there really isn't much there when you see that some of the ads are 6 months old

Mel, there is only 3 vehicles listed

Seems like there ought to be a pretty good sized inventory out there somewhere with base plates installed and drive shaft disconnects if needed installed

Anyway, Thanks all
Old 11-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Seems like there ought to be a pretty good sized inventory out there somewhere with base plates installed and drive shaft disconnects if needed installed
I follow the Escapees for-sale forum RVs, Tows, and Toads for Sale - Escapees Discussion Forum

Still, there is not a lot of inventory. And, from what I can tell, listings there or anywhere else are notably MORE expensive than just buying the base car off craigslist and adding the needed gear oneself.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads