Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Fritz & Fran

I bought a blue ox and smi braking at brazels 2 years ago. They do real good work. Don't remember it costing that much. But my CRS is gettig worse I guess.

Sorry about the bum lead.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
The OP is asking for help. He is not going to do it himself with a buddy, beer and pizza

It would be kind of the people replying to give the name (& phone number) when you say "see my guys in Timbucktoo or wherever". I had mine installed at a FMCA rally some years ago for $1200.00. (Diesel was $2.19) Last August, in Redmond, it was $1800.00 by a contractor as there was no mechanics from the factory there.

The OP needs a name, or told "Thats about right" for March 2011.

Not intending to insult anybody.....Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
two niner

I think if you read the OP again you will see the only question asked was "is this to high?"

Your right it could have been answered with a YES or No. I think when members respond to a question by another member they are trying to help the member with the question. Yes or No is an answer don't think it helps answer a question.

I didn't take offence to your comment to all those that replied, it did spark my interest. Are you now or have you ever been a moderator on RVnet??

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
The OP is asking for help. He is not going to do it himself with a buddy, beer and pizza

It would be kind of the people replying to give the name (& phone number) when you say "see my guys in Timbucktoo or wherever". I had mine installed at a FMCA rally some years ago for $1200.00. (Diesel was $2.19) Last August, in Redmond, it was $1800.00 by a contractor as there was no mechanics from the factory there.

The OP needs a name, or told "Thats about right" for March 2011.

Not intending to insult anybody.....Kerry
You missed the point of my post. Mostly anyway. My point was if the OP wanted to save money, which was obviously his point, there were ways to do that. Part of my answer was a DIY install but the other part was look for used equipment and equipment that was far simpler to install would lower cost for both parts and labor.

As for the MKT, so far it tows great. No difference really from the Explorer it replaced as far as towing. Hitching up is a bit easier with the built in towing mode, the EXP required a driveshaft disconnect that worked but was always 'fussy' The wife never could get it re-engaged.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:28 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dolly
Old 03-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
For this first class tow system the indicated cost is about right. Certainly a second hand system might be found for less money but will it do the job and for how long?
I just checked Google for parts prices and the only thing that appeared out of the ball park was the tow bar - it was $758. The US Gear new in a box was just short of $1,000. That leaves $800. for installation and as one who installed his own (25 hours) he ain't gonna get rich, especially if he must run a loom in the coach (mine was prewired).
I'm finding the MH world much like the aviation industry where I've spent the last 50 years. Expensive!
Favorite airmachine saying: If ya gotta worry about "how many miles per gallon", ya can't afford it to begin with.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
Dolly

Jeep 4X4's are not supposed to be towed with two wheels off the ground. It's stated large and clear in the owners manual that this can result in transfer case or driveline damage.

I have done it in years gone by with no ill effects. This however was for short distances. With a new or fairly new vehicle though, I wouldn't go against the instructions in the owners manual.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
Dolly
Never again
Old 03-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
For this first class tow system the indicated cost is about right. Certainly a second hand system might be found for less money but will it do the job and for how long?
I just checked Google for parts prices and the only thing that appeared out of the ball park was the tow bar - it was $758. The US Gear new in a box was just short of $1,000. That leaves $800. for installation and as one who installed his own (25 hours) he ain't gonna get rich, especially if he must run a loom in the coach (mine was prewired).
I'm finding the MH world much like the aviation industry where I've spent the last 50 years. Expensive!
Favorite airmachine saying: If ya gotta worry about "how many miles per gallon", ya can't afford it to begin with.
Second hand tow equipment is like second had motorhomes. There is junk and there are true bargains. Both the tow bar and brake buddy that I purchased were less than a year old, perform as new and were near or less than half the new cost. BB has nearly zero install cost, is the US Gear brake worth 4 times the installed cost? (honestly I have never used one so there may be some awe inspiring difference I have not seen) I towed our Explorer for 10 yrs with no brakes and 'got away with it' but knew I should do something better. This time I did.

Nothing wrong with brand new first class set ups. But its not the only option that is 'right' That $3000 difference will buy a lot of $4 gas for this travel season.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you considered a ReadyBrute Elite system? Would be considerably cheaper.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the help and advise guys! I love this forum. I had a few parameters i did not want to alter here.... which leaves me with a spendy system to shop.

1) I did not want to have to mess with adjustments or removal of big items in and out of my driver's seat every time i pull
2) I ABSOLUTEY did not want to splice into existing air lines.

3) I wanted 'plug & play' 100%...

...so i did some shopping and it turns out this shop was the 2nd cheapest qoute for my setup so I am going with them! (never trust cheapest qoute)

Thank you for your help!
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #26

I'm just finishing up my install on a 2011 JGC (not an Overland). My setup is the Roadmaster Sterling and Roadmaster brackets. My braking system is SMI's Air Force One and I bought a Blue Ox Diode wiring kit. AF1 was bought from RV Upgrades and the rest from Hitch Source.

I had Alliance Coach in Wildwood FL install the AF1 components on the coach. It was about 2 hours labor.

I installed everything in the JGC. It was an all day job. If you had done this a few times, my guess is that the tow bracket could be installed in as little as 2 hours, but more likely closer to 3. Wiring the lights, again for someone that has done it on a JCG, could be done in less than 2 hours. The AF1 stuff could be done in 3 hours, although I was quoted 6. So, apply your local labor rates to the above and you should have a good idea of the labor costs.

For anyone wanting to this yourself, it's not too hard. The Roadmaster tow brackets only require a couple of holes to be drilled. Unlike other tow brakets, you do need to support the front suspension because it bolts into the frame. The wiring is all accessible under the glove box. Just remove the tail lights to determine the wire colors (yellow/white for both turn signal/brakes (dumb that they are the same color), orange/white and brown/white for each tail light). If you're installing an AF1 system and don't have the Overland model, you can install the AF1 control box on the passenger side frame rail where the Overland's air compressor is located.

Hope the labor estimates help,
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Fritz, What did you decide on?
Bruce
Old 03-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Fritz, What did you decide on?
Bruce
Bruce, I am sticking with the Unibrake from U.S. Gear and a Sterling tow bar. Local shop doing work that i can 'haunt' for the rest of my days if .01% goes wrong :P
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote