Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #1

Looking at New Durango RT, Acadia Denali, Enclave

Started looking at new tow vehicles. Want 6-7 passenger, flat towable, and AWD. It is our only vehicle as we full time and put on about 20,000 miles a year. Haven't been a Dodge guy in past but like the new Durango setup with hemi. Power train would be same as Jeep Grand Cherokee and I know there are a lot of Jeep fans out there. Know when comparing the three vehicles mentioned, Durango is sportier and Hemi would be just plain fun but at a cost at the pump whereas Acadia is good solid performer but not as exciting. Enclave is more luxury and best ride but maybe something I'd enjoy more in about 10 yrs. I see few Durango's being towed behind a coach but see all kinds of GM's. I also like the ease and no restrictions of the Dodge setup as I sometimes have a heavy foot. Really like the quality of the Honda Crv we have now, just not enough seating and cargo space for when family gets together.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
These are on my short list also. Also Ford Explorer (maybe Sport with Turbo V6 Eco-Boost) as well. I'll be watching this space closely for input.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #3

Ron. Yes Explorer could be an option as well as Flex but neither high on my list. Here's a 2014 Dodge Durango RT I saw in parking lot a day or two ago. Would fit the bill. Haven't driven anything new yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131219_092732.png
Views:	197
Size:	452.0 KB
ID:	52261
Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Very nice....my aim is to cut some weight off the toad, considering my Tahoe LTZ tips the scales dry at 5500+ pounds. Any idea on the curb weight of the R/T? And do you know of there is a base plate available for it yet?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #5

Dodge website showed 5,331 lbs for awd RT. Talked to Blue Ox as they didn't show 2014. If you go to their factory in NE, they will fit to your vehicle at no charge other than wiring for the first vehicle they do.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #6

Are you sure the Durango is flat towable. I have not checked out the AWD system but most AWD systems do not have a transfer case where there is a neutral position. Rear drive transmissions do not like to have the output shaft spun without lube. Some friends of mine just bought one a few months ago and have not really checked it out yet. Also with the 5.7L engine, AWD, RT.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Are you sure the Durango is flat towable. I have not checked out the AWD system but most AWD systems do not have a transfer case where there is a neutral position. Rear drive transmissions do not like to have the output shaft spun without lube. Some friends of mine just bought one a few months ago and have not really checked it out yet. Also with the 5.7L engine, AWD, RT.
According to the 2013 FMCA dinghy towing guide, AWD Durangos are flat towable providing they are equipped with the two speed transfer case and that owner should refer to the owners manual. There is no speed restriction listed.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
From the 2013 FMCA dinghy towing guide; "Only all-wheel drive models equipped with the two-speed transfer case can be towed 4 wheels down " There are no speed restrictions listed, just an admonition to check the owners manual.
Ron

Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Sorry for the double post. Slow Wifi apparently.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #10

James. Yes, owners manual says the vehicle I described in my first post is towable 4 down without restrictions. It has to be the hemi AWD with the transfer axle that allows it to be put into neutral. Rear wheel drive model is not towable nor is the V6 model.