Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #1

Question Looking for answers ... Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar / Blue Ox Base Plate

Hey everyone!

I feel like an idiot and have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to fix this issue the easiest way (I assume its an issue anyway).

I have a Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar and Blue Ox Base Plate and on the Base Plate, the wiring plugs in the middle so I cannot put the Ready Brake cable directly in the center. So, I drill a hole maybe 1" to the right and thought that would be ok and hooked it up. I did it that way because I saw that even on NSA's site, they had done it that way on an installation.

The problem is my cable is rubbing the black piece that moves up and down when you hit the brakes and has rubbed some of the coating off the cable so far (and that was with a 10 mile trip). Has anyone else had this issue and whats the best way to fix it (without drilling a hole in the middle of the bumper above where the wiring connects)?

Here are some pics:

ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have that problem, but my coiled electrical cable gets beat to heck.. the outer insulation is about gone! Not sure what is causing it.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #3

I put a piece of plastic tubing over the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
I put a piece of plastic tubing over the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Like what kind? That's a great idea though! How did you hold it in place and does the plastic tubing get beat up also? Like wear a hole in it?
Old 11-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
I did what ronjhall did with the plastic tubing. 6" long about .625" outside diameter not sure of inside diameter. It fits tight in the slot on the readyBrute and does not move. I have only used it once on a short 150 mile round trip, but seems to be doing the job. I used a fairly hard clear plastic tube for this I had laying around. I had to undo the fittings to get the cable to go through it. I think the video did not show the ReadyBrute towbar, but a different towbar with the readyBrake attachment.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex2010 View Post
I did what ronjhall did with the plastic tubing. 6" long about .625" outside diameter not sure of inside diameter. It fits tight in the slot on the readyBrute and does not move. I have only used it once on a short 150 mile round trip, but seems to be doing the job. I used a fairly hard clear plastic tube for this I had laying around. I had to undo the fittings to get the cable to go through it. I think the video did not show the ReadyBrute towbar, but a different towbar with the readyBrake attachment.
I assume the cable slides within the tubing, correct? I wouldn't think you would want the tubing sliding back and forth in guide because it would wear a hole in it I would think.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #7

Why can't you loosen that black cable guide and rotate it slightly to accommodate the slight angle the cable runs?
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy54 View Post
Why can't you loosen that black cable guide and rotate it slightly to accommodate the slight angle the cable runs?
The cable guide doesn't turn. It has two bolts that hold it straight... probably because it also is the mount to hold the tow bar when not in use (folded up).
Old 11-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #9

I just got back from my first trip using the Ready Brute Elite with my Jeep. Guess what?? I have the same problem. My first though was that I had the cable to tight but after seeing your post I think the problem is that my cable is attached to the Jeep to the right of the electrical plug also.

After the trip I loosened the cable a bit but now I think I had it adjusted properly and Ill need to do something like protecting the cable because of the angle the cable is at.
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #10

On another note. Looking at your pics I would think about putting your hitch pins from the outside to inside with the cotter pins to the inside. You have the hitch pin going inside to outside.

I have seen the safety cables pull or knock the cotter pins out which could allow the hitch pin to come out of your tow bar and detach from your base plate.

I would hate to see you lose your towed vehicle.

Jerry
Old 11-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #11

I made a bracket out of a piece of aluminum I had sitting a round the garage. I'm going to look at it later to see if I can mount it below the electrical plug to make the cable line up straight. Here's a couple of pics of the bracket.

I put a carbineer on the electrical bracket to hook up to the brake cable when not in use. This helps hides the cable.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I just got back from my first trip using the Ready Brute Elite with my Jeep. Guess what?? I have the same problem. My first though was that I had the cable to tight but after seeing your post I think the problem is that my cable is attached to the Jeep to the right of the electrical plug also.

After the trip I loosened the cable a bit but now I think I had it adjusted properly and Ill need to do something like protecting the cable because of the angle the cable is at.
Interesting. I figured it had to have happened to someone else.

A guy from "We're The Russo's" on YouTube said that his was doing the same thing and he called NSA and they said it would be ok and that just rubbing the coating off is no big deal and that it wouldn't rub and break the steel cable. He said they have been riding like that for 15k miles and its ok.

As a precaution, I did had a small 4" plastic tube that I had in my tool box but by the time I got done it was dark so I will take a pic tomorrow. I am not 100% sure it will stay in place though and if it comes out, it might not be a good thing because it could keep the cable from freely moving back and forth so I may take it off.

I am a bit confused on how people are putting a tube over the cable and knowing for sure that it will stay put with the cable moving back and forth inside it.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
On another note. Looking at your pics I would think about putting your hitch pins from the outside to inside with the cotter pins to the inside. You have the hitch pin going inside to outside.

I have seen the safety cables pull or knock the cotter pins out which could allow the hitch pin to come out of your tow bar and detach from your base plate.

I would hate to see you lose your towed vehicle.

Jerry
ahhhh, good call! I will change that in the morning.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:07 AM   #14

I contacted NSA yesterday via their website (email) and Tod responded and said that it is nothing to worry about. He said the black coating is just on the cable to make it look better.

Tags
blue ox, tow