Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking for 'diode' method to set-up my tail lights for towing....

I just picked up my 'new' 2008 Jeep GC Limited and I need to set it up for towing.
I want to set up my tail lights so I can just plug in my 4 connector to my MH and the tail lights will work with the MH.

I know there are diodes involved and some wireing involved.

SO, can anyone point me to a write-up or give me instructions of how to do this?

I know there is a lot of info in this forum and it has NEVER failed me in the past.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Regards,
Paul

PS: I DO NOT want to go through the magnetic lights for a Jeep that is this nice.
Less to carry with me, also.
Thanks.......
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #2

cw and other rv parts stores has the kit just for this. I have one on the bench to install on my Honda
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #3

The diode kits can also be purchased from e-trailer and many other online sites.

etrailer.com - Products diodes

We used the Roadmaster kit on our 2004 TJ and it's worked fine for the last 9 years. There's a wiring diagram in the back of the Brakemaster 9060 installation manual on the Roadmaster site.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-1809-13.pdf
Old 08-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We used this method on our 99 caddie Toad I think it really works and looks great.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #5

My , Remco fluid pump kit came with the Roadmaster diodes and diagrams, the only thing I will add is; solder all connections, do not trust the crimp wire connectors supplied,, or you will be back to fix the connections later.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

Look at the towdaddy (tweetys rv caries it ) it is one box no multiple diodes to wire some are( for some cars) plug in no wire cutting at all. very easy I used it on my Gmc truck very happy
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The easy way is to get a "Kit" designed for your vehicle..
Using the kit.

Under the dash, usually on the driver's side, sometimes behidn a kick panel, is a plug and socket in the wiring harness running to the rear.. You unplug, this plug from the socket,, The kit has a box with a plug and a socket, they match, you plug the plug into the kit and the kit into the socket.

Run your 4-conductor cable through the dash (NOTE you may only have a 3 conductor at this point) to the front, the 4th conductor is ground, Find a place for it, job done.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #8

I am going this route when I set up wifey's Tahoe (shh... don't tell her that).

TowDaddy Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit for Towed Vehicles TowDaddy Tow Bar Wiring TD3015

Mal
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
turn and brake lights for an 01 wrangler toad.

Instead of messing with the Jeep's wiring for the turn signals / brakes. I added a socket and bulb to both tail lights. Each light has a plate between the back-up light and brake light. Picked up some lights 'courtesy light' at the parts store for a couple of dollars. I removed the plate, drilled a 1/2" hole and enlarged it with a small grinding stone. I took the parts out of the socket and used my 300W soldering gun to solder them in place. Now I have brake and turn lights totally independent of the Jeep's electrical system. This was a fairly easy task that only took about an hour to complete. For the running lights, I just spliced into the left front marker light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1810.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	43389  
Attached Images

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to understand the different possible configurations, go to the Blue Ox site and search out diode installation kits. They have some pretty good info on the different configuration hookups. I read and reread their info and ordered a 4 diode kit, followed the instructions and it worked. An easier way is just to buy a plug in kit which I'm pretty sure is available for the Jeep's.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
I just picked up my 'new' 2008 Jeep GC Limited and I need to set it up for towing.
I want to set up my tail lights so I can just plug in my 4 connector to my MH and the tail lights will work with the MH.

I know there are diodes involved and some wireing involved.

SO, can anyone point me to a write-up or give me instructions of how to do this?

I know there is a lot of info in this forum and it has NEVER failed me in the past.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Regards,
Paul

PS: I DO NOT want to go through the magnetic lights for a Jeep that is this nice.
Less to carry with me, also.
Thanks.......
Paul,
Lot of folks have a hard time when setting up the wiring on their toads and using the factory wiring. Up until very, very recently, as in, 2013 or later, it's a very easy system to work. Below is a diagram I drew up when I did my wiring on our 2011 Honda CRV. People always have a heart attack when someone mentions tying into the factory wiring. BIG DEAL!

I've done it on (7) different Jeep Wranglers, (1) Toyota Pickup, (1) 2011 Honda CRV and even on our present toad, a 2011 GMC Sierra Extended Cab, 1500 4x4. All that's done is simply "T" into the each turn signal wire right at the tail light housing and solder things up, then insulate them real well with some good electrical tape.

Now, yes, a diode is needed to there's no "feed back" in to the toads electrical system in the front of the vehicle. And NO, NO, NO, you don't have to get those seriously high priced diode "KITS" from Camping World, or any other RV Supply. You can use standard diodes from Radio Shack. The ones I used cost a whopping, are you sitting down, $3.00 for a three pack!!!!

I did have to cut the wire, just before the "T" intersection I just created and install the diode, one for each turn signal wire. That takes care of the turn signals. As for the brake lights, I "T-eed" into the left brake light wire and that sent the signal to not only the left brake light but also the right and the third (in the middle). That takes care of the brake lights. Now, for the running lights. I "T-eed" into the running light wire for the left tail light and that also sent the signal to the right side and the parking lights up front. And that was fine with me. And, that's the conclusion of wiring your toad so the stock tail lights are utilized when it becomes a toad. EASY!

It's your vehicle so, you have multiple options here. Take your pick.
Scott

P.S. Now, one thing I should mention. If you utilize the stock tail lights (bulbs) for toad lights and, yours is one of those vehicles (toads) that "activates" the brake lights when the key is either off or, not even in the toad, and, you've got tail lights that are of "two filament" design, (as in RED lenses only) (no AMBER), then you might have to "curtail" the brake light signal from the toad, if you're using an auxiliary braking system like Brake Buddy, Ready Brake or a number of other units that push or pull on the toad brake arm for auxiliary braking from the toad. P.M. me if you have questions.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
get the Roadmaster Hy-Power Diodes (Qty 4) Roadmaster Accessories and Parts RM-794 kit.
The 2 wired end goes 1 to vehicle wire and 1 to tow wire - the single wire end goes to the vehicles taillight ( 1 set to running light and 1 set to brake light). Easy as pile and easy to remove and pass onto next vehicle.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hikerdogs previous post #3 provided the BEST information for obtaining the Diodes and for installation.

ONLY use the Roadmaster Hy-Power Diodes, they are the best!

On page 17 of the Brakemaster installation document is an easy to follow diagram of how the diodes are wired into the vehicle.

When I did my wiring, I used seven diodes. One for each side for the following lights: Stop, Tail, Signal (my car has separate signal bulbs) and finally the seventh one was used for the large Third Brake Light.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Just set up our 2014 grand cherokee. I used the tow daddy wiring system. It was easy to install worked great.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, towing