Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

Looking to buy a new car that can be towed 4 wheels down

Hello,

I am new to the IRV2 forum, so bear with me! My wife and I are looking to buy a used diesel pusher, but we first need a car for my wife to use for to/from work. We want a car that we can eventually tow. We drove the Jeep Cherokee and she liked it. I am concerned about reliability., but based on the FCMA Tow Guide, there are not many choices. Does anyone recommend a specific car for towing 4 wheels down? Also, looking for the best tow system (Blue Ox, towmaster etc) and is one easier for the cherokee? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
TigerNole
TigerNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerNole View Post
Hello,

I am new to the IRV2 forum, so bear with me! My wife and I are looking to buy a used diesel pusher, but we first need a car for my wife to use for to/from work. We want a car that we can eventually tow. We drove the Jeep Cherokee and she liked it. I am concerned about reliability., but based on the FCMA Tow Guide, there are not many choices. Does anyone recommend a specific car for towing 4 wheels down? Also, looking for the best tow system (Blue Ox, towmaster etc) and is one easier for the cherokee? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
TigerNole
We use a Honda Civic. It has lasted forever and tows well. I believe that most Hondas were designed with towing 4 down in mind so I'd start there personally. We are considering a newer Honda ourselves. We like the Blue OX towing bar.
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #3

Some of the Hondas have gone to a CVT transmission and can't be flat towed.

GMs, Fords, and Jeeps still seem plentiful for towing.

A lot of towbars out there. I don't tow yet, but I like the ReadyBrute Elite. The braking system is incorporated into the towbar.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #4

Thanks. According to the 2015 Dinghy tow guide, there are no Honda vehicles listed. We were thinking of a CRV (see a lot of those being towed) but we would have to buy a used one.
TigerNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Take a look at the Chevy Equinox. They are set up for towing and are the successor to the Saturn Vue, which I have been towing, since '08, with no problems. Even a used Saturn, if in generally good condition, would be a great car to tow behind your MH.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
KIX

If you could use a manual shift car I think the Subarus are very well built and very reliable. They do not have an automatic transmission car that can be flat towed.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerNole View Post
Thanks. According to the 2015 Dinghy tow guide, there are no Honda vehicles listed. We were thinking of a CRV (see a lot of those being towed) but we would have to buy a used one.
2014 was the last CRV that can be towed. We recently bought a very nice 2012 and it is at the shop right now getting dressed for towing. We selected the Roadmaster system with the Invisabrake. The car suites us well as my wife's daily driver and we like the Honda durability.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #8

We pull a Cadillac SRX, no fuse, switch, no locking column. Put it in nuetral and go! No limits.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Honda CRV appears to be the current darling for a reliable toad.

I prefer a Lincoln MKZ hybrid, as a toad. American cars are only recently beginning to climb the reliability ratings.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #10

I agree with KIX. I've towed two Subarus. My current Outback is nine years old now and I haven't done anything to it other than routine maintenance. It's a terrific toad with no restrictions at all ...no speed restrictions, no time restrictions, no fuses to pull or switches to remember to toggle, etc. It's also endorsed to be towed by the manufacturer and I believe has always been listed on the FMCA dinghy towing list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
The Honda CRV appears to be the current darling for a reliable toad.

I prefer a Lincoln MKZ hybrid, as a toad. American cars are only recently beginning to climb the reliability ratings.

Not to start a political argument but as you know, the automotive market is so global nowadays. Each of has to ascertain what's more important when deciding to purchase an "import" or an "American" car.

For instance, we may consider the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid an "American" car but it's built in Hermosillo Mexico. My Subaru Outback could be considered a "Japanese" car but it was assembled in Lafayette Indiana. So the decision is "do I buy an American car built in Mexico ...giving Mexicans jobs OR, do I buy a Japanese car that gives Americans jobs?" Granted, the profits for the Lincoln ultimately end up in the U.S. and the profits for the Subaru ultimately go back to Japan but those profits in both cases are mitigated somewhat.

We each have to make the decision as what's more important. Nowadays, I buy what I "like" ...features, value, driving characteristics, reliability, etc., etc. and do not put much importance on if it's American anymore. Would I prefer to "buy American?" ...certainly. In the old days, it was only the "Big 3" for me but now, I buy a variety of vehicles ...both "American" and imports.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:59 AM   #11

certified used Fiesta or Focus 6spd automatics-
just put in neutral and pull : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We use a 2012 jeep liberty / roadmaster easy to hook up and go - no problems so far with the jeep - I think the big problems were in the 2008 vintage jeeps
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
We are looking, too!

The above findings are in line with the info we have discovered. We, too, are shopping for a toad. Subaru only recommends their Forester with manual transmission. Frankly, with an occasional bad back flair, I don't want to go there with manual. My 2005 Toyota Sienna is the BEST car I've ever owned but none of the new Toyota's or Honda's will flat tow. We have to fit two large dog crates (labs) in the car so interior space is critical. I've been checking the FMCA listings for toads and that's been very insightful. My DH had thought he wanted a Ford hybrid until a friend (used car dealer) said that technology is changing and they don't bring much at the auctions. Finding a used recent model is challenging since the pricing seems abhorrently high for something with or without high mileage. Needless to say, we are still considering our options. We did rent a car for the weekend on our last trip. $33 for the weekend from Enterprise and they picked us up on Friday and again to return the car on Monday. Can't beat that but we can't rely on that either.
Artcie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #14

don't buy a jeep. Used Honda is better.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow