Bought my toad 2 years ago all ready to go. Hitch wiring and all as a package.
When I bought it I checked everything out and the fellow who owned it said he had towed it all over the place for about 60,000 miles.
My wife and I were leaving a Sewer Dump Station and traveled about 50 ft on a loop back to the road when my brake buddy remote started to scream. I looked in my mirror and the toad was about 40 feet back with the brakes locked up.
Here is what I suspect happened!
Buddy decided to save some money and he got Bubba next door to give him a hand.
The holes were drilled in the frame and 4, 1/2 inch bolts were installed. What was not visible when I bought this was the bolts had no backing plate in the frame and eventually the bolts tore through!
This was not visible until I removed a few body parts to get access to the mounts.
Fortunately I did not kill somebody and the only thing I was out is my time. I installed 2 plates inside the frame and with 4 new bolts and 4 hours later we were back on the road.
Most people would not admit to this but I think there is something to be learned here.
I am a mechanic and a fabricating welder and everything looked great, BUT IT WASN'T
Everybody should check to see what is pulling there toad down the road.
I didn't because it was a lot of hassle removing body parts.
The old dude is now dead and Bubba is probably carrying on.
I would not be without auxiliary brakes.