Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2019, 07:03 AM   #1

Low profile tires/rims damage while towing

Hi,

I live in Michigan which has some badly pot holes roads.

Am I asking for trouble to flat tow a car with low profile/tires and rims?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2019, 07:30 AM   #2

Yes, you're asking for trouble if you purposely aim your coach at every pot hole in the pavement.
In other words, if you drive the car on the street than what's the difference if you tow the car???
Moral of the story, avoid potholes when driving your coach.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:44 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My Honda Fit Sport has low profile tires and has survived both Michigan and Indiana roads. Of more concern is the toll these roads take on your shocks.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:47 AM   #4

LJowdy,

I would never intentionally aim for a pothole, sometimes I need to change course to avoid them. Thus may put the toads wheels in the path of the pothole.

Luvlabs,

Interesting to hear about the shocks.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #5

I had a Kia Soul Sport+ with 17" low profile tires.
In the first 40,000 miles I bent one aluminum wheel, hitting a car eating pothole, on a NYC expressway.

Still held air so I wore the tires out and replaced wheel and tires with 15" tires.

It cost less for the 4 new wheels and tires then 1 new Kia wheel ( $400+ ) and 4, 17" low profile tires.

Got a softer ride too.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:08 AM   #6

Hi Twinboat,

My wife had the same issue with her car. Cost to replace 1 low profile tire and run was ridicolous.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:41 AM   #7

Yes, asking for trouble.

Sell them on Craig's list now and get a few bucks for them, but get them off now instead of having to deal with it on the side of the road!

Get good normal profile tires/rims. Maybe a size larger than stock and a good duty rating (i.e., higher weight rating than minimum requirement). Your toad will be hitting twice as many potholes being towed than it would ever hit being driven. Besides, you live in Michigan and new governor Gretchen hasn't had time to "fix the damn roads"!

When driving RV your natural reaction is to avoid potholes (when possible) for the RV tires, which often as not results in the toad driving right through them. No, that is not hitting them on purpose, its just what happens to anything getting towed.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #8

Thanks Yooperver,

Hope all is well across the bridge.

We have not purchased a toad yet, sounds like it best to go with a toad with regular tires and wheels.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Thanks Yooperver,

Hope all is well across the bridge.

We have not purchased a toad yet, sounds like it best to go with a toad with regular tires and wheels.
That is probably best, but let me give you my 2 cents, if you hit a pothole with your RV , 9 out of 10 you toad would miss it. Unless it's 3 ' wide. Remember the toad is smaller then RV wheel base. I have been on the worst highways in America and never had a problem. Yes the sky is falling, no use in worrying about ,chances are you will never have a problem. Why don't we all just use f250's as a toad, please give me a brake.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:37 AM   #10

Now I am confused. Not sure why you mention the sky falling a f250 or give you a brake.

I only asked a question. :-)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Now I am confused. Not sure why you mention the sky falling a f250 or give you a brake.

I only asked a question. :-)
I wasn't making reference to you, it's about all the negative about low profile wheels, there is nothing wrong with it, people will have you rebuilding a car. That was my point to the "sky is falling" as I explained if you have a choice get a bigger wheel but you will be fine. The F250 comment was using it as a toad. Which is crazy.. sorry you took it personal. It wasn't ment for you but all that silly recomendarions to you, just my 2 cents as I also posted
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I wasn't making reference to you, it's about all the negative about low profile wheels, there is nothing wrong with it, people will have you rebuilding a car. That was my point to the "sky is falling" as I explained if you have a choice get a bigger wheel but you will be fine. The F250 comment was using it as a toad. Which is crazy.. sorry you took it personal. It wasn't ment for you but all that silly recomendarions to you, just my 2 cents as I also posted
Gotcha now. I understand what you mean.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #13

FWIW: I say no problem with low profile. I dolly tow my Fiesta ST with 40-series tires on an Acme Tow Dolly. Zero issues for me.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by khocke View Post
FWIW: I say no problem with low profile. I dolly tow my Fiesta ST with 40-series tires on an Acme Tow Dolly. Zero issues for me.
Hi,

Any issues getting the ST on to the dolly?

Tags
tires, tow, towing