Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #1

FYI, I checked with M&G Engineering today and they confirmed you cannot use their system with the Acadia/Enclave/Outlook. Not enough room.

So, it will be the SMI Air Force One for me.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #2

FYI, I checked with M&G Engineering today and they confirmed you cannot use their system with the Acadia/Enclave/Outlook. Not enough room.

So, it will be the SMI Air Force One for me.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
cwg

I just had the Air Force One system installed last week at the factory in Evansville, IN. It has been a real pleasure to use so far, and has been seamless in application with the exception that the Acadia is a hassle to tow unless the fuse is pulled. Otherwise as reported here before, the instrument lights stay on when the key is in the accessory position and the battery may go dead. Also the miles rack up.

Until I can get a blade switch installed or something else circumvented, I just pull the fuse.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:42 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have the 2008 Acadia, and the GMC dealer told me i did not have to pull the fuse anymore. and they are insatlling the SMI as i talk here.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #5

majfrizz - can you be more specific on the dealer's comments? Has something changed? Thanks for any help,
Bob
Old 11-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Re the fuse pull and the miles accumulating - can you provide relevant quotes from the 08 owner manual on Recreational towing? Not pulling the fuse would be wonderful, but if having miles rack up is the trade-off I'll stick with my 07.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
cwg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by majfrizz:
i have the 2008 Acadia, and the GMC dealer told me i did not have to pull the fuse anymore. and they are insatlling the SMI as i talk here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck with that one! Mine is a 2008 and that information has not be correct.. so far as I have seen.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:36 AM   #8

We just picked up our new '08 Acadia last night. I'm going to go ahead and have a fuse switch installed by Coral Ridge Auto & RV Service in Punta Gorda, FL. They will also install the new Blue Ox base plate and the SMI Air Force One. Guess I'm not going to take a chance on not pulling the fuse, but the switch will make it easier.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the car dealer told me wrong. talked to the rV dealer today when they finished my Acadia. They tried to install a battery disconnet switch, but no room up there for one. they told me they will figure out something, so in the mean time, i have to pull the fuse. they did run anextra power line from the RV to the car for power. tiem will tell
Old 11-11-2007, 03:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It is pretty straight-forward upgrade to install a switch on the Batt#1 fuse, but there is another alternative that makes life easier. The Batt #1 fuse is a low profile type that is very difficult to grab with your fingers. NAPA stores have a replacement that is about 3/4" taller and easy to pluck out with your fingers. Still fits nicely in the fuse slot and under the cover.

Getting the cover off the underhood fuse box can be a pain, though. One of the three retaining clips is right against the firewall at the back - my fat fingers did not get in their well and I had to use a screwdriver to pop the clip loose. My wife couldn't do it at all (and she usually readies the car for travel).

Finally, if you want a battery disconnect switch instead of a single fuse switch, you can put it on the positive lead to the underhood fuse box. Plenty of room there. That will remove 90% of the power from the vehicle systems and eliminate the battery drain problem.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 AM   #11

Has anyone heard of a product called "Battery Brain"? Apparently it's supposed to moniter battery discharge and disconnect the battery if it senses that it will become discharged. The "gold" version of this product is billed as a anti-theft device, as it also includes a remote control battery disconnect option. I'm having one installed on my '08 Outlook today, as I like the idea of the remote control vs digging under the hood for a fuse. They are going to install it on the positive lead to the fuse box.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #12

Jeff,
If it disconnects the battery, do you lose all presets or other information in the car's computers?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:30 PM   #13

Bob,

I'm no electrical expert, but here's what I've found out so far. Others may chime in with other, more recent information, but here goes.

I'm pretty sure that if you disconnect the battery you will lose all presets and other information. The question I had was about pulling the 50 amp fuse. I'm assuming (always dangerous) that if you pull the 50 amp fuse in accordance with the latest bulletin from GM, that you will lose the presets and other stuff anyway. I haven't heard any information to the contrary. If so, what's the difference? so, I'm going with the remote controlled battery disconnect until I hear of a better solution.

I did have a separate 12V power supply from the motorhome added to power the Brake Buddy system.

I haven't picked up the car and motorhome yet, so I can't tell you for sure if this is a good setup or not, but that's another story.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:19 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I am looking at installing a play and stay in a Outlook . I am having a hard time to find a place for the box. Has anyone installed one. Can't even see the master for the vaccum hose. Looks like it is going to be a fun job.