Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2007, 03:25 AM   #1

I currently have a Blue Ox system and it works ok, but was reading about the M&G air system..seems to offer simple progressive braking, unlike the box type systems...Anybody have actual experience with M&G?...is it worth the change over? thanks
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2007, 03:25 AM   #2

I currently have a Blue Ox system and it works ok, but was reading about the M&G air system..seems to offer simple progressive braking, unlike the box type systems...Anybody have actual experience with M&G?...is it worth the change over? thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 03:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You might also want to consider the Air Force One system from SMI Brake.

Just click on the graphic.

The AF-1 is available from our primary sponsor, RVUpgrades.com
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I should be on commission by now. I don't have experience with any other system , so my reply will be one sided. I installed the M&G in February. Since the install I did a 3K mile round trip to the Keys and back through western SC, NC, VA and WV. Plenty of mountains as we did the Blue Ridge Pkwy and lots of back roads. Never a problem, of course I was using the exhaust brake most of the time. The few times I ran without it due to heavy rain on twisting mountain down grades the M&G pulled it weight. Did the install with my son, it went easy. If you have more questions PM me and I'll send some photos. Mike
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
My first choice was going to be M&G until I figured out the installation varies quite a bit for different vehicles. In my case (Toyota RAV4) I would have had to move and rewire a bunch of engine electrical to make room for the master cylinder to stick out an additional 3 inches.

I ended up going with a TowBrake MountainMaster. While not progressive I have full control from the cockpit including manual overrides to the automatic system. Their's also the added benefit of the system charging the toad's battery while en route.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #6

Well...I had to give up plans for the M&G..it wont fit my Saturn SL1 at all...
Old 04-18-2007, 11:30 PM   #7

I am on my fourth vehicle and second Mh with the M&G without any trouble at all. I feel it is the best there is. If you call and talk to the owner Leon you will be very impressed. They do their best to make your experience a good one. In fact they bend over backward. I would not consider any other. Over 14 years of using their system. One mh was a gasser and this a diesel.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:40 AM   #8

I just wish it fit my 99 Saturn...just not enough room between the master cylinder and battery
Old 04-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by footdoc:
I just wish it fit my 99 Saturn...just not enough room between the master cylinder and battery </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Larry, if thats the only hitch, you can relocate the battery to the trunk without too great of an expense. That what we did with the GO FAST cars for better traction off the line
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

After having a brake buddy, then a US Gear towbrake, I settled on the M&G for my last coach. It's been great and I now have it in each of my tow vehicles as well as the new coach. It just hits a home run on all accounts. The only possible drawback is if you don't have enough room under the hood and cannot relocate whatever is in the way.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #11

Hondo..from what I understand, each air unit is calibrated for the vehicle it fits, applying the necessary force for that wt vehicle and they just dont make one for a Saturn SL's needs I guess