Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #15

Thank You All!
I decided on the M&G for a couple of reasons - I didn't want something attached to my brake arm, no electronics under the hood, nothing to disconnect when unhooking (except the air line-same as AF1) and I was able to purchase a refurbished unit at a substantial discount including a breakaway unit. Ordered base plates and brake unit today so should be ready to tow next week!
Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I will chime in that both M&G and Airforce 1 are good units. I have M&G in my Jeep and in my Honda Pilot. However, the M&G caused problems on my Chevy Pickup (2007 Silverado 1500), and I had to have it removed. I later put an Airforce 1 into the Chevy. Apparently, the M&G cylinder did something to the brake fluid that the Chevy computer read as an error and then the brake pedal would go mushy. Went half way through an intersection finding this out. M&G was VERY good at returning/exchanging the unit. Mine was apparently among the first where this issue was discovered, so make sure you talk with them directly about whether they've had any issues with your particular make and model vehicle. All in all, once installed, they're about the same. I prefer the M&G only because you don't have to have anything attached to the brake pedal as with the Airfoce 1. But like I said, once installed, it's not like you'll really notice it at all. The M&G is just a slightly cleaner fit. Either way, you can't go wrong with either M&G or Airforce 1.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwing View Post
Thank You All!
I decided on the M&G for a couple of reasons - I didn't want something attached to my brake arm, no electronics under the hood, nothing to disconnect when unhooking (except the air line-same as AF1) and I was able to purchase a refurbished unit at a substantial discount including a breakaway unit. Ordered base plates and brake unit today so should be ready to tow next week!
Ron
may i ask where you bought everything ?im gonna go with that set up . and are you insalling your self?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
gto19, personally I purchased both units directly from the manufacturers (SMI and M&G). I don't recall them being terribly over priced vs. what I could find elsewhere, but found getting things from the horses mouth helpful. Especially in the case of my pickup that had issues.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
I've been following this thread and have decided on M&G for one reason they are made 32 miles from the house and it is a TEXAS product and I have found Home site in Athens,Texas.I will probably have them install,knowing they will do it right and not take long,might even stay in their camp.The wife would love that I think she would camp out on the drive way.This has been her dream for years just couldn't get me to jump till acouple of years ago and i have to say I enjoy when we go and a week is not long enough.Thanks to all for the info it help me make a choice and location is a plus!
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm curious if anyone can comment on a self install AFO.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #21

robodoc,

I installed the AFO in our '08 Jeep Liberty this year. While it was a bit daunting in the beginning (after I opened the box and saw all of the parts), I realized it was because the box literally contained everything I was going to need for the install.

The printed instructions were a bit wanting, but a phone call to SMI got me a link to an installation video and all was clear.

There were really no difficulties other than shoving myself under the dash to tap into the brake switch and attach the brake actuator to the brake pedal and fastening a cable anchor to the firewall. That's all you do inside the car.

As with most things, have a look before you start, think it through as best you can and take your time doing the work. It did take a little time, but the skill required was nothing beyond the capabilities of an average weekend tinkerer.

BTW, I went with AFO because of the system they developed to isolate the coach air system from the toad. I'm a belt AND suspenders sort.

Steve
Old 12-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
I had the M&G installed today the owner and inventor was there Leon Meadows and I was please with their service, I heard him offer another customer expense money because he was not able to find a part on the mans toad that had nothing to do with the M&G system.He gave me information on a RV club and does alot of RVing his self.I am always glad to know people care about their customers and the system took couple of hours to install.Now we can go RVing!
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
I had the M&G installed today the owner and inventor was there Leon Meadows and I was please with their service,
I have met Leon at different functions that I attend across the country. He's a gentleman.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SSteve,

Thanks for the comment, I will follow your lead and do a self install. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #25

Self Install of Air Force ONe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodoc View Post
I'm curious if anyone can comment on a self install AFO.

The AFO can be a relatively easy self install if you take the time to read the instructions. It also comes with an installation DVD which I found quite helpful. I got mine at Discount Towing Supply and they were even able to help me over the phone at one point. Love the system
adamruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:51 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just purchased the AFO, they even offer an upgrade credit on the old unit. The local dealer who SMI recommended charges about $350 to install.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
We just purchased AF1 at the Tampa Super Show. Documentation looks good and comes with a installation DVD. I am planning to move the LED that shows when the toad brake is applied to the dash of the coach. It means a little more work but I like to see it without much trouble. The installation looks straight forward, the only issue I see is tying into the RV brake system. I will be doing the install myself on a 2007 Essex Spartan K2 chassis and a 2004 Chevrolet Aalanche. I will report upon completion.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote