Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
M&G Toad side alternative?

The coach we purchased in the fall came with an M&G Braking System. M&G seems to be limited in the vehicles they support and their supported vehicle list has not been update since 2015.

Does anyone know of a toad side alternative that could be used with the coach M&G air system? I hate to rip out what is supposed to be a good system but I'm having trouble finding a toad they M&G supports. (not interested in a Jeep)

Thanks in advance,
Steve
techdad55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdad55 View Post
The coach we purchased in the fall came with an M&G Braking System. M&G seems to be limited in the vehicles they support and their supported vehicle list has not been update since 2015.

Does anyone know of a toad side alternative that could be used with the coach M&G air system? I hate to rip out what is supposed to be a good system but I'm having trouble finding a toad they M&G supports. (not interested in a Jeep)

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Well Steve,
First off, even if you're not successful in finding a toad of your choice that, will accept an M & G system, there's no reason to "rip out" any part of the system that's installed in the coaches air brake side. Even when not in use for toad brake application, it's not doing anything by being there. It doesn't cost you anything for that system to remain idle. That is of course unless you're thinking of changing to another air-brake system for a toad.

Now, beyond that, we have two toads. One is an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 and, the other one is a '15 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon. The GMC is equipped with the M & G system while the JK doesn't have one YET! It's eventually going to have one. I have an M & G unit that fits a Jeep TJ sitting on the bench in the garage 'cause I removed it from our last toad when I sold it. One of these days I'll try and sell it.

But, while you say you're not interested in a Jeep, it is a pretty universal toad for sure. We live in Lake Havasu City AZ and when all the snow birds are here, the Jeep population explodes. And a very large percentage of them are bone stock, with no modifications what so ever. I haven't been on the M & G site in a while to see what they support so, other than our GMC and Jeep, I really can't help on another type of toad for you. I personally think the M & G braking system is without a doubt, the best braking system on the planet, for a diesel coach that is. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey Scott,
As typical for us, we're trying to "Do it all" if possible. Ideally, we would like to travel with a toad along with the Harley ElectaGlide. Carrying the bike in the back of a pickup seem most preferable. The down side is that we have a gasser and as such, only have a 5K rating on the hitch. It would be nice to get a Chevy or GMC 1500 but the weight is prohibitive. Right now, I'm looking at a Nissan Frontier RWD. It looks like the weights might just work out. Unfortunately the M&G site only supports the Frontier up to 2004. Nothing against an older truck just not what I'd prefer.

I would probably only rip out the M&G system to sell and help offset the expense of something else. I like the idea of the system and will keep it if I can.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #4

We use the M&G on our 2012 Terrain and love it.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #5

Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Steve
The coach side of the M&G consist of air coupler. I assume you are talking about a diesel pusher type RV ? Which any of the air brake type system. Air Force one etc will works with it on a toad.
Or I am missing something from your post. ?
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Have you thought about contacting M&G and ask them? They would be the most knowledgeable about what toads their system will fit.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Hey Scott,
As typical for us, we're trying to "Do it all" if possible. Ideally, we would like to travel with a toad along with the Harley ElectaGlide. Carrying the bike in the back of a pickup seem most preferable. The down side is that we have a gasser and as such, only have a 5K rating on the hitch. It would be nice to get a Chevy or GMC 1500 but the weight is prohibitive. Right now, I'm looking at a Nissan Frontier RWD. It looks like the weights might just work out. Unfortunately the M&G site only supports the Frontier up to 2004. Nothing against an older truck just not what I'd prefer.

I would probably only rip out the M&G system to sell and help offset the expense of something else. I like the idea of the system and will keep it if I can.
techdad55,
Yeah, I understand your thought process here for sure. Our '11 GMC weighs exactly 5300 lbs. with a full tank of fuel. So many folks take the stated weights of potential toads for granted from sources like the Dinghy Towing Guides of Motorhome and Trailer life magazines. Well, I've proved them wrong way more than once. They said my particular truck weighed 4875. Juuuuuuuussssst a bit off! They said our '11 Honda CRV weighed 3386. At a certified scale, it tipped the scale at 3700, with a full tank of fuel. Again, jussst a bit off.

So, with your gasser, you'll have to be a bit more consious on what kind of weight you're intending on towing and carrying. We use the GMC as a toad when we want to bring along our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. The ramp we use is the Rampage which, tips the scales at right close to 275 lbs. The Wing hovers really close to 900 lbs. So, when we're dragging that setup behind us, we're dragging right close to 6500 lbs. Not a big deal for us and our coach.

But for yours, well, I'd maybe search out a smaller truck like another poster mentioned, a Terrain maybe. And, I'd look into maybe seeing if a Rampage will work in a Terrain. There's a member either on here or, on RV.net that's used a Ford Ranger as a toad and carried the Rampage and a full dresser Harley. All he had to do was install a couple of small air bags for the rear of the Ranger and puff them up a tad for the extra weight. Worked slick.

As for your M & G stuff that's on your coach, you'll get close to nothing for it. It's nothing more than a T fitting, about 15' of black plastic 1/4" line and, a regular quick release fitting at the back of the coach. And, depending on which way it was attached, you might have to purchase a union fitting to replace the T fitting that you'd remove. So, the cost of replacement parts after you've removed the M & G parts, would most likely equal what ever you MIGHT get for that part of the system. Your choice.

I do like the Rampage system. Drive the bike up to it. Attach two tied downs to it at the front of the bike and, push a button. The bike travels up the ramp and into the bed of the truck, with ZERO assistance from any humanoid. I then add a couple more tie downs, strategically placed and, we're off on adventures.

I had the Hydralift prior to the Rampage. I loved that lift. We could tow our Jeep with that system as well as carry the Wing. What a great system. But, things changed and, we use the truck and rampage now. I set the Rampage system up so that after we get home and the bike is un loaded, the Rampage is out of the truck in about 2-3 minutes and rolling away on a cart I built for it. Good luck on your hunt.
Scott
Old 02-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Just to clear up a point FWIW. I have a gasser and the M&G system is a small compressor mounted just behind the rear axle on the PS. It also has a small controller (looks like a TT electric brake controller) mounted up under the dash. I don't know if I'd get much if I removed it but I might be able to find a use for an extra small compressor.

I emailed M&G about a week ago but haven't received a reply yet. I'll email SMI also to see if their products would work with the M&G compressor system. I would think it would work but you never know.

I've seen pics of a Ranger toad with a Harley in the back. Finding the right truck will be the challenge. It's a work in progress to figure it all out. I wouldn't worry about being 200-300 lbs over the rating but not 1500 over. I'm hoping the Frontier works out as it's should also be capable to tow the Pontoon boat when I need to. Then I could get rid of my Tahoe and not have an extra vehicle.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
The M&G hardware will not work with the SMI stuff
Old 02-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Just to clear up a point FWIW. I have a gasser and the M&G system is a small compressor mounted just behind the rear axle on the PS. It also has a small controller (looks like a TT electric brake controller) mounted up under the dash. I don't know if I'd get much if I removed it but I might be able to find a use for an extra small compressor.

I emailed M&G about a week ago but haven't received a reply yet. I'll email SMI also to see if their products would work with the M&G compressor system. I would think it would work but you never know.

I've seen pics of a Ranger toad with a Harley in the back. Finding the right truck will be the challenge. It's a work in progress to figure it all out. I wouldn't worry about being 200-300 lbs over the rating but not 1500 over. I'm hoping the Frontier works out as it's should also be capable to tow the Pontoon boat when I need to. Then I could get rid of my Tahoe and not have an extra vehicle.

Ahhhhh,
Now I see. You have a GASSER! I didn't see that in your first post. Well, yes, you DO have more than just a T connection to the air brakes on Diesel coach. Not many folks that run gassers go with an M & G system. It's just too complicated and a bit on the expensive side. Obviously the only folks that this unit will appeal to are ones that also run a gasser and, are willing to do what it takes to set up the system. Good luck on your quest.
Scott
Old 02-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had a old diesel that didn't have air and had a compressor installed to power the M&G. I now have air ride on this rig and still use a M&G.
Why remove the compressor? a Air source can be VERY handy.
I tow a Silverado 1500 and it works great.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #12

I've been told that an M&G compressor/tank will work fine with a Roadmaster Brakemaster toad system. But check it out for yourself.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:26 AM   #13

Steve-

Most people would not expect to find an toad brake system that uses air on a gas coach.

I'd be inclined to retire the M&G on the coach and get a different system for the toad.

On the other hand, since it sounds as if you haven't bought a toad yet, if you can find one you like with an M&G already installed, buy it!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I haven't heard of the Brakemaster before. I will have to look into that one.

I contacted SMI. I received a quick response but nothing they will claim to work with the M&G compressor. Can't say I blame them with societies liability lawsuits. They do have a product called Stay-N-Play Duo that look promising if I need to go with a completely alternative solution.

I also emailed M&G over a week ago and haven't heard anything back from them. Than doesn't make me feel too warm n fuzzy should I need support from them.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback. I'm sure we'll come up with a solution, it's just a little more difficult that i anticipated. Of course, part of that is our own doing, so I can't complaint too much .. lol

Tags
toad