Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #15

I have used the same lights and the magnets are fine, but wires rubbed the paint. You can use them without worry, but I would run the wires underneath the toad if possible....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
I have used the same lights and the magnets are fine, but wires rubbed the paint. You can use them without worry, but I would run the wires underneath the toad if possible....

Great Idea. I had to use them on our last trip to Florida on our '13 Unlimited (long story). I ran the wires under the hood, around the mirror, into the drivers door, through the cab, and out the rear window. Fortunately no damage. We now have the Mopar plug and play harness.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I can offer two options for your wiring.

First, I wired up a 2006 Saturn Vue using a diode package and the wiring went under the car and not through it. It is well secured and I haven't had one problem since doing it 4 years ago. No drilling holes in the fire wall or taking the molding all apart to chase the wires.

Second, have you thought about using the lights and making a hitch light bar that would slide in and out of your receiver on the truck. Well, that's assuming that your truck has one. If not, then it's an expensive idea.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
I've used magnetic lights without problem. This last set is nice in that it has yellow lenses on the forward side of the lights. The yellow shows up nicely on my rear view monitor so it is easy to know they are working.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
They have wireless magnetic led tow lights. I haven't tried them yet. But I bet they will work great.
They look pretty neat...I might try them...I see some Home Depot carries for around $120 bucks...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
We now have the Mopar plug and play harness.
Travis,

What your Wrangler do you tow? Thanks!
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know about the newer Subi's but on my older (2001 Forester) I did a lot of digging and found a path for the MH to Subi light wiring. It was a blank rubber plug just above the floormat and just to the left of the steering column. It came out under the hood below the vacumn booster for the brakes. The plug was hard to find under the hood but I went very slow and identified it and pushed it out and retrieved it. I cut a slit in it and reinstalled it from the inside and ran my wiring thru it. Worked like a charm. Hope you are as fortunate as I was.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
BTW, I hunted high and low on the Internet and found the Subaru wiring info for my model. It identified what wire went where and the color code of the wire. I started tracing from the tail lights forward and found a good tie point for the diode packs under the back seat. Wasn't thrilled with the location but since it is only wife and I that is where I did my cut splice etc.
There are also good Subaru forums on the net just do a search for whatever model you have, ie. mine are www.subaruforester.org/forum and www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin.
Reason I spent all the time etc was same concern as you about magnets sticking and wiring wearing the paint. My Forester may be old (like me) but I intend to keep it around for a while longer.
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I am about to begin my full time adventure this Saturday and will be using the magnetic lights for our towed vehicle as well. Just yesterday I did another practice load onto the dolly and placed the magnetic lights on the rear of the car. I just want to thank all of you for the suggestion of running the wires underneath or through the vehicle. I consider myself to be a resourceful individual, but the thought of running the wires in that manner never crossed my mind. Therefore, I thank you all again!

Cheers,

Ken
DartmanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used the ones from Road Master, the magnets are very strong.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #25

Harbor Freight has the regular bulb and for a few dollars more they have
magnetic LED bulb sets. I have used both and the magnets are fine, the
LEDs do show up better.
Do put something under the magnets as any little movements will mar the
clearcoat, and clean the spot where they will sit, dirt scratches.
I ran the wires under the hood, then into the front pass. door and out the top of
the tailgate. All those places have thick rubber gaskets that will not pinch
the wires and will barely touch the paint. This was on small SUVs, I guess on
a sedan you could run them out the top of rear door onto the roof or at
bottom of rear window. You will find the best path for the wires........

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #26

Red face necessary lights??

I have seen several cars being towed on the dollies with no lights except for the ones on the tow dolly itself. We have just bought our DSDP about 2 weeks ago in Florida and bought a tow dolly at the same time. The tow dolly has lights on it and seem to be more than adequate at night. We came home with that setup and just wondering if another set of lights are necessary if the dolly has lights on it.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkaran View Post
I have seen several cars being towed on the dollies with no lights except for the ones on the tow dolly itself. We have just bought our DSDP about 2 weeks ago in Florida and bought a tow dolly at the same time. The tow dolly has lights on it and seem to be more than adequate at night. We came home with that setup and just wondering if another set of lights are necessary if the dolly has lights on it.
The dolly lights may be more than adequate as far as brightness is concerned. However most people expect the lights to be at the rear of the vehicle. In the case of the dolly they're about even with the back of the front door. The way people drive today it's possible that somewhere down the line some unattentive driver could be thinking the dolly lights are at the rear of the vehicle rather than half way down the side.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, I decided to go with the magnetic lights, but I am going to use them on the rear shelf inside the car. To attach them I am going to use 3M plastic "velcro" pieces. I ran the wiring in a sheath under the car, wire-tied to the frame and into the trunk through an existing rubber grommet.
I found that even just placing the magnetic lights on the rear truck lid caused scratches in the clear coat, and the car wasn't even moving! I can only imagine what the paint would look like after a long trip.
And I don't want to tie into the car lighting system, and installing separate sockets in the rear lights won't work without drilling massive holes in the inner wall of the trunk. Not gonna happen.
I think the magnetic lights on the interior rear shelf will work just fine, and I can remove them when I don't need them.
Thanks everyone for your input!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights